Best 50" Plasma for sd

Proof is in the pudding though. Do you have a John Lewis or another similar shop nearby where the sales folk will leave you alone? If so, and the 508XD or the 5080XD is on display, get them to stick Freeview or an SD DVD on - providing reception is OK, even the analogue TV signal is fine for this*.QUOTE]

Hello all, new to the forum, so im popping my cherry with this question!

What is the difference between the pioneer 508XD and the 5080XD apart from the odd one hundred pound? ive seen what i think is a picture of both and it looks like one comes with a pedestal stand and the other is just the screen? am i warm there or am i miles away?

I saw one of the above sets in richer sounds the other day and i have to say it completely bowled me over. Been having a think for a while over which set to go for and after seeing that im now 99.95% sure its ganna be either one of the pioneers. did have my eye on the last model but now the new ones are out its no contest!

Found them for aound the £2200 mark on the internet, anyone know of anywhere cheaper than that?

Hi, thanks for the welcome!

so the 5080xd just has few less features like the ambiant light sensor and home gallery etc.

Whats the general concensus is the 508XD worth the extra deniro or is the 5080XD worth getting?

have found the 5080XD for about £2263 with a stand, hdmi cable and undermount speaker. anyone seen any better deals?

Right im going to bed to dream about the pioneer but if the wife asks im dreaming about her!!!

so the 5080xd just has few less features like the ambiant light sensor and home gallery etc.

Whats the general concensus is the 508XD worth the extra deniro or is the 5080XD worth getting?

There's also the ISF mode of the 508, that supports professional calibration, should you want it. Personally, this isn't something I think I'd ever do, ditto making use of most of the other features, so from my own point of view the answer would be a "no", but you'd have to decide that for yourself. It's worth having a scan over the 8g thread to see folks' experience with the light sensor on/off - as far as I can see, aside from ISF "tweakability", that's the only thing that looks like it could have any direct impact on PQ between the two.

One warning on Richer Sounds - did they really give you an SD demo, or was it a HD feed? Not that the Pioneer isn't great with SD, in my view, but at my local showroom everything is pumped with HD by default unless you specifically ask for something else (and then they aren't set-up to show you anything over Freeview*).

* In common with most chain stores, I find, that look at you in a bemused way if you ask to see OTA DVB-T, as if having an aerial good enough to do this amongst their display TVs is some magical stretch too far.

Much is made of this ISF mode thingy, like it's a unique selling point. Sadly not, Fujitsus have a whole bunch of picture memories which basically do the same, Panasonic THxxPH and PF screens are also very ISF friendly. The PH and a processor is an option well worth considering, though in fact, try the PH with no processor 1st, you might just be pleasantly surprised. Not a lot in it, black level wise, or any other wise coe to that. And if having a system with an AV amp, you don't need a lot of inputs anyway, frequently just an HDMI board in fact, and a VGA to 3 phono lead just in case. Getting a proper demo is key to all this, and you just in't gonna get one at JL, they are not an enthusiasts shop. Fine for Mr Joe Public, but then he doesn't give a stuff about PQ, and chooses his screen on it's appearance when turned off.

Yeah im pretty sure that the pioneer in RS was running a HD source, an LG player i think. Even still i have seen a SD source on it too and am still impressed.

I think i will plaump for the 5080xd when all is said and done, i dont think i would ever use the p in p or the isf calibration (sounds like a new firm coming out of west ham!).

I wonder how long it will take for the set to come down a couple of hundred pound?

FOUND THE 5080XD FOR 2180 INC SPEAKER AND STAND (dixons)
OR 2120 AT EMPIORE INC 3Y WARANTY .. ( NOT SURE IF A SPEAKER IS IN THAT PACKAGE THO...)

ANY ONE FOUND ANY BETTER ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom