Best 50" Plasma for sd

Techz

Standard Member
Hello All

Back again i want a plasma that will look great on virgin media sd

I was looking at the Samsung PS50P96FDX 50" but i have read on here the sd not great any help on this please :clap:

70% sd

20% HD-Player

10% Blu-Ray but will be more soon lol

SD mainly though :smashin:

Many Thanks

Techz

jon_c0

I've got to say that my Dad recently got a Pioneer 5080xd and, after some days of preparing him with "You know SD won't look as good on this compared to your old CRT TV, right?", I was incredibly surprised by just quite how good it was from both freeview and [shiver] even the onboard analogue tuner. I would guess we were viewing it at around 12 feet, but still...

MAW

Banned
be prepared to dig deep for a top SD picture. Pioneer or Fujitsu are the top 2, ever wondered why the sammy was so cheap? You'll pay at least double to get one of these.

jon_c0

be prepared to dig deep for a top SD picture. Pioneer or Fujitsu are the top 2, ever wondered why the sammy was so cheap? You'll pay at least double to get one of these.

Out of interest MAW, would you say the PH10's come a good/close or a poor/distant third to either the Pioneer or the Fujitsu in this respect? I'm predominantly an SD watcher too, and although I've been very impressed by the Pioneer I'm finding it very difficult to ignore the price of the PH10s... The trouble is getting to see a PH10.

J80FAB

Out of interest MAW, would you say the PH10's come a good/close or a poor/distant third to either the Pioneer or the Fujitsu in this respect? I'm predominantly an SD watcher too, and although I've been very impressed by the Pioneer I'm finding it very difficult to ignore the price of the PH10s... The trouble is getting to see a PH10.

I had a 50" PH9 a few months back.

Had an external Sony VTX-800U freeview receiver connected via Scart & was pretty pleased with the SD picture but only ran it in for about 105 hours before it was returned.

The most pleasing results it seemed to give was with the 2 Australian soaps from BBC1 & CH5 in particular. There were also some other programmes/films which looked nice aswell and the footie looked cool aswell.

Although the commercial Panasonics are highly regarded & there is very little negative feedback or actually none, I was not pleased with the unit I had due to a static uneven darkish finish which seemed to be coming from the perspex glass in front of the plasma screen. This was both noticeable when the screen was 'off' & made itself apparent at times on certain colours & camera panning as a static darker banding.

Don't know if this is common to Panasonic commercials or whether I just had a unit which should not have had this or exhibited it to a greater degree than usual. Whatever is the case a plasma such as this should be free from such a poor finish, even the cheapo plasmas I've seen standing in Asda don't have this sort of finish.

I'll probably never know if it was a 'faulty' unit or not because it went back to the retailer where it was supposed to be examined, but then I was told that it had not been looked at & gone back to Panasonic. So none the wiser & have never heard anything back since.

MAW

Banned
Well, I've never seen that on a PH panel, it's definitely not typical. My sample is about 450 units I have personally set up.
The PH is definitely worth looking at, where are you? The collective wisdom here can probably point you to a demo.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
A recent brief dem of the new Panasonic PZ70 range impressed me immensely on SD stuff.

Hopefully a full demo tomorrow will give me more info.

DeeGee7

Don't know if it's any help to you but I'm very happy with SD on my Pioneer 5000EX. I sit about 10 to 11 feet away and the PQ is more than reasonable.

J80FAB

Well, I've never seen that on a PH panel, it's definitely not typical. My sample is about 450 units I have personally set up.
The PH is definitely worth looking at, where are you? The collective wisdom here can probably point you to a demo.

Well hopefully it is not typical of a PH panel, and many on here who own the PH9 say they have never seen this sort of thing either. However it was present on the unit I had.

Anyway as I said mine went back. They did not want to exchange & said they would look at it once it arrived back. When I enquired with the retailer as to what they reckoned I was told that before they were able to get their hands on it, it had gone to Panasonic for testing. All very strange in my eyes. Surely the retailer would have examined the unit before they sent it to the manufacturer ?

It just turned out into another 'bad' TV buying experience. But as you say the PH10 is worth considering if you don't mind adding the bits to it. Apart from the oddity mine had everything else was fine & SD picture was very acceptable from 8 to 9 feet viewing distance.

However I did not find it acceptable being told by the retailer that 'perhaps you can live with it'. When you spend a good £1500 or so on a top-notch plasma you don't expect it to be let down by a shoddy front screen & then be told that maybe you can live with it.

Oh well.

R

Ross -A-

I'm also interested in opinions on this subject. I posted a thread about the poor Picture Quality on my Samsung 50inch C96. An engineer today said it was faulty and once they send me a new one it will be great.

Not sure what to do, get my money back or get a second Samsung that actually works and see for myself.

GarethG

Novice Member
I've got to say that my Dad recently got a Pioneer 5080xd and, after some days of preparing him with "You know SD won't look as good on this compared to your old CRT TV, right?", I was incredibly surprised by just quite how good it was from both freeview and [shiver] even the onboard analogue tuner. I would guess we were viewing it at around 12 feet, but still...

I am going to be viewing a new Pioneer from about 9 1/2 ft max down to 7ft for seat not used too much.

Love the idea of the 508 for HD DVD experience but as will be main TV for day to day use -SD dramas from Humax 9200T - is this ridiculous and is the 428 for me?

jon_c0

I am going to be viewing a new Pioneer from about 9 1/2 ft max down to 7ft for seat not used too much.

Love the idea of the 508 for HD DVD experience but as will be main TV for day to day use -SD dramas from Humax 9200T - is this ridiculous and is the 428 for me?

Actually, yours is basically my own situation vs. that of my parents (although I've got a Topfield TF5800 :)). I am coming round to thinking that a 42" is the screen for me rather than a 50", partly because I also flop down on the floor quite often and that would only be about 5ft from the TV. I'm finding this a tough call and, I guess, in the end it's really a preference thing...

tigandken

I've been really impressed with SD on the Sammy PS50Q97HD.
IMHO better than the SD on the Pio 4280 (which had to go back).

kevH

I've been really impressed with SD on the Sammy PS50Q97HD.
IMHO better than the SD on the Pio 4280 (which had to go back).

WOW now that should put the cat among the pigeons !!! Somebody who has the gall to criticise a Pioneer !!:rotfl::rotfl:

How very dare you!!!

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

50 is too big from there mate, sorry. Still, it's your money and it's up to you. MAW is right, the pio is one of the best with sd. The and the sammy's are better than the older models, but are cheap and corners are cut somewhere, and it seems the sd pics are the areas where they particularly suffer.

GarethG

Novice Member
Hey that's not what I want to hear!

I need you to justify my extravagance!

jetinder

50 is too big from there mate, sorry.

I agree 50 inch screens sound and look fantastic as in " bigger the better ", but what people fail to understand is that these screens are designed for bigger rooms so they can be viewed for longer distances.

If you put a 50 inch in small/medium size room you'll never fully benefit from it (as you cant see the whole screen) and like others have said you'll be able to see every flaw in the video being show on. So if its a kak video you'll really see it and your hopes and dreams of having a huge screen with pin sharp smooth video will be dented.

Unless you have a through lounge or big living room stick to a 42 inch which is good comprimise between having " big screen " and being able to see it all.

But in the end the choice is yours.

GarethG

Novice Member
I suppose you are right (said like a sulking child!!)

At least with the money I can get a decent dvd player etc.

As a matter of interest, what is the closest you would consider for a 508?

Know its been raised before, but previous threads get really technical I am just after a laymans view from people who have the screens in real rooms

TeresaTT

I only sit about 9' away from my 42" plasma and find it not big enough, especially for movies in 2.35:1 aspect.

If you get a good screen which bothers to have decent processing for SD material, then you can probably sit quite close to it. Unfortunately, many of the cheaper plasmas might be great for HD but are rubbish with SD. Therefore you need to sit further back. I'm planning to upgrade to a 50" screen, but I'm going to have to be prepared to spend an awful lot of money on one.

GarethG

Novice Member
I only sit about 9' away from my 42" plasma and find it not big enough, especially for movies in 2.35:1 aspect.

If you get a good screen which bothers to have decent processing for SD material, then you can probably sit quite close to it. Unfortunately, many of the cheaper plasmas might be great for HD but are rubbish with SD. Therefore you need to sit further back. I'm planning to upgrade to a 50" screen, but I'm going to have to be prepared to spend an awful lot of money on one.

Have you seen anything such as the 508 in anyones home from that distance?

RayP

I agree that when watching 2.35:1 films the 42" at 8-9ft isn't big enough but it's perfect for 16:9 images. If you switch to a 50" and watch 16:9 broadcasts at that distance the PQ will be unacceptable.

Personally, I wouldn't sit closer than 11ft from a 50" for SD.

TeresaTT

I'm going to demo the Fujitsu P42/50XHA58EB and hope that SD quality will be acceptable at close distances. The long thread on this forum about this screen has posts from a number of people who sit quite close to their screens and they are all pretty happy with them.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I hope to have at least an acceptable SD image so that I can enjoy HD on as big a screen as possible.

low-def.

Is 9 1/2 ft acceptable for viewing SD DVD on a 50" screen, such as a 508 ?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021