Best 50" plasma for circa £2k

Listerofsmeg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to buy a 50" plasma in the near future, spending about £2k, might possibly stretch to £2.5k if I think it's worth it.

Been reading these forums for the past two days but must admit I'm getting a bit bewildered by the huge range of options. I'm still struggling with the plethora of Panasonic models, haven't even dipped a toe into Samsung, Sony etc!

Wondered if anyone could point me to the favourite contenders. Also wondered whether I am doing myself a disservice by ignoring LCD? I realise it's all subjective but I've gotten the impression that LCD don't handle SD broadcasts very well of which we will still be watching a fair bit for the moment.. If there are LCD's with comparible pictures then please feel free to point them out to me.

Many thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

For the record, here are my notes so far. :eek:

Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 (Awesome picture - expensive - Pioneer going under)
Pioneer KRP500A (slimmer than above - two box system - £300 more expensive!)

Panasonic Z1 (hideously expensive)
Panasonic VX100 (Business models - too expensive)

Panasonic G10 (neo-PDP? very cheap - doesn't look great)
Panasonic G15 ?
Panasonic V10 (TX-P50V10 - THX - lack of adjustment - cheap - VIERA (Youtube etc))
Panasonic X10 (budget model?)

Philips 52PFL9632D (LCD - interlacing issues)

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a 50" plasma in the near future, spending about £2k, might possibly stretch to £2.5k if I think it's worth it.

Been reading these forums for the past two days but must admit I'm getting a bit bewildered by the huge range of options. I'm still struggling with the plethora of Panasonic models, haven't even dipped a toe into Samsung, Sony etc!

Wondered if anyone could point me to the favourite contenders. Also wondered whether I am doing myself a disservice by ignoring LCD? I realise it's all subjective but I've gotten the impression that LCD don't handle SD broadcasts very well of which we will still be watching a fair bit for the moment.. If there are LCD's with comparible pictures then please feel free to point them out to me.

Many thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

For the record, here are my notes so far. :eek:

Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 (Awesome picture - expensive - Pioneer going under)
Pioneer KRP500A (slimmer than above - two box system - £300 more expensive!)

Panasonic Z1 (hideously expensive)
Panasonic VX100 (Business models - too expensive)

Panasonic G10 (neo-PDP? very cheap - doesn't look great)
Panasonic G15 ?
Panasonic V10 (TX-P50V10 - THX - lack of adjustment - cheap - VIERA (Youtube etc))
Panasonic X10 (budget model?)

Philips 52PFL9632D (LCD - interlacing issues)

If you are feeding the set 1080p then Pioneer either model by far!!!!
I was wary of the hype until I bought one , now I know its the right choice!!

If however you will be viewing more SD or HD through a Sky HD receiver then a Panasonic HD Ready (1080i) will suffice.
I have both and the Pio only comes into its own on Full HD material.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

If however you will be viewing more SD or HD through a Sky HD receiver then a Panasonic HD Ready (1080i) will suffice.

Thanks. Is the V10 the Panny of choice at the mo for my price range?

Will be SD for the mo, but I plan to upgrade all my kit to HD soonish, so want something as futureproof as poss really.

Have to give another recommendation for the 5090. While it looked good in the shop, it looks even better at home with a bit of calibration and better (i.e. less!) lighting.

SD (Sky, Freeview or DVD) also looks amazing on the Pioneer, something which I don't think can be said for the majority of the competition out there. The picture still blows me away.

I have both and the Pio only comes into its own on Full HD material.

I think you might of got it the wrong way. Pioneer (5090 or 500) is far better than Panasonic (G10 or V10) SD wise. But HD its a much closer battle, depending on the type of picture the viewer likes either could come out on top, but for most maybe the Pioneer and HD gaming maybe the Panasonic. :thumbsup:

The panasonic model you own aint really a fair comparison its a fews years old mid-range tv and the pioneer is a high-end new-ish tv. Its like comparing Prince Charming to Quasimodo :D . (Joke)

The Pioneer wipes the floor with the Panasonics when you're sending it interlaced material (ie SD TV and, although to a lesser extent, Sky HD and other HD TV broadcasts). But it's a very close battle in HD movies etc...where you get progressive signals and no need to de-interlace. From the Panaosnic models I would say the V10 is the one to go for (the G15 is between the G10 and V10, it has a few of the V10 features), the THX mode couldn't be beaten by calibration when reviewed on this site, but that doesn't say it would beat a calibrated Pioneer, which is unlikely due to the good picture controls on the Kuros.

Sony don't make plasmas anymore, so you don't need to worry there! Samsung are releasing a new range though, the 8 series plasma, which is apparently getting very good reviews in the US, so it might be worth a look when it comes over here, I can't say I expect it to beat a Kuro though

Pioneer all the way for SD, simply no comparisom, even the 8 series is superior to the new G Panasonics, and by quite a way. HD, I prefer Panasonic, yet to see the V series in a 50" but reports from the shows have been very positive.

Pioneer all the way for SD, simply no comparisom, even the 8 series is superior to the new G Panasonics, and by quite a way. HD, I prefer Panasonic, yet to see the V series in a 50" but reports from the shows have been very positive.

What's your reasoning for prefering the Panasonics in HD? Is there anything specific about the picture? (I'm not ridiculing, I am just wondering!)

What's your reasoning for prefering the Panasonics in HD? Is there anything specific about the picture? (I'm not ridiculing, I am just wondering!)

Can't be bothered to explain about excessive Pio noise, shadow detail again , but sufice to say I prefer a PF series HD pq to Kuro's any day.

Whether the new V series come up to par I won't know until I view it in the flesh, but don't worry I won't ridicule you for thinking Kuros are beyond reproach :)

Can't be bothered to explain about excessive Pio noise, shadow detail again , but sufice to say I prefer a PF series HD pq to Kuro's any day.

Whether the new V series come up to par I won't know until I view it in the flesh, but don't worry I won't ridicule you for thinking Kuros are beyond reproach :)

I can deffinitely see the attraction to the Panasonics when it comes to HD, it is a very close call in my opinion, most of the Pioneers edge has previously come from the colour accuracy, but this does change quite a bit with the V10, I still can't say for sure whether or not I think a Kuro is better than the V10 but I personally don't think it will for my tastes

...to be honest we are nit picking for both :rotfl:

I can deffinitely see the attraction to the Panasonics when it comes to HD, it is a very close call in my opinion, most of the Pioneers edge has previously come from the colour accuracy, but this does change quite a bit with the V10, I still can't say for sure whether or not I think a Kuro is better than the V10 but I personally don't think it will for my tastes

...to be honest we are nit picking for both :rotfl:

Agreed, gonna be interesting to see whether a Vierra can really take on a KRP and stay standing, but initial reports seem positive from the trade show gang, I'll believe it when I see it . The VX range certainly seems to be able to pin the Kuros' down but those are a totally different beast.

Be interesting to see how well the V's deal with SD, up until now ever Kuro I've seen destroys everything in it's path on SD apart from a PF with external processing.

Another vote for the 5090 :smashin:

Sometimes I regret getting it because I now watch toooooo much telly. :D

Definitely Pioneer 5090, did loads of research, got some demos, (not major electrical retailers) easily the best IMO, my only regret is not getting the 6090

You might as well get the PS8000 with THX preset for an extra £50. And I don't think that the LGs will match the V10 and 5090, it does look very good and all, and time will tell, but this is high range Panasonic and Pioneer we're talking about. While the LG may represent better value for money, and the 5090 might not be £1000 better, if the money is there I would still say that the 5090 is better, although Phil Hinton seemed impressed by the PS8000 is his review, even when comparing to the 5090

You might as well get the PS8000 with THX preset for an extra £50. And I don't think that the LGs will match the V10 and 5090, it does look very good and all, and time will tell, but this is high range Panasonic and Pioneer we're talking about. While the LG may represent better value for money, and the 5090 might not be £1000 better, if the money is there I would still say that the 5090 is better, although Phil Hinton seemed impressed by the PS8000 is his review, even when comparing to the 5090

Well, you say it yourself.

Please advise where you can get the ps 8000 for £50 more tho'

Just a few LGs here

Buy 50" LG Plasma TVs from Digital Direct

When I had demos instore I found the Panasonic looked slightly better on Blu Ray. Mind you I was comparing a £3500 Panasonic vs a Pioneer 5090 so maybe it wasn't a fair comparison.

The Panasonic had a bigger screen but less noise on HD.

Every time the posterisation/noise on my 5090 bugs me I look at the space in the corner of the room and wonder if i should have dug deeper and bought and squeezed in the bigger Panasonic :(

The PS8000 is in stock in a good few places...anyway, the PS8000 is £50 more than the PS7000, the 6000 is obviously less (less features, cheaper design). But anyway, neither are as good as the 5090 from reading and expectations, despite being good and particularly good value.

I will say maybe the LG plasma (PS8000) produce better standard definition than the Panasonic (V10). But everything else the V10 is probably better, so maybe the extra £500 can be justified, considering it also has extra features i.e freesat. The 5090 is better in all respects, maybe SD is a little closer, but Im not sure £1000+ extra (plus £100 for a pedestal, you must be kidding me) justifies the price, considering the LG has extra features i.e networking and THX present. But if you want very very good SD and very very good HD, the Pioneer is one of only a few options.

in my opinion :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Anything will be outdated at some point. AV equipment gets updated every two years or so. Look back to 2007 and compare a TV then with now. More HDMI sockets, USB sockets, Network capability and so on. Even the colour has moved from silver to black in just a short timeframe.

So, if you amortise the purchase over two-three years then 2011-12 will be the date to purchase a new set.

The LG will have cost you around £3-400 p.a. which ain't too bad and you'll still have the TV to sell or do whatever with.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom