Best 50" Plasma for £800 ish

jamespompey

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

Ive been searching through the forum and see that the LG PS8000 is a best buy for 50" plasma, however although it fits my price band £800-£900 i cant seem to find anyone who stocks it. I realise that its a year old now so most people wouldnt stock it or it has been discontinued.

I was wondering if there is a comparable spec 50" plasma same price range that is a current model or certainly not too old to be discontinued.

Thanks is advance

soljiv

Hi mate, the LG 50PS8000 is a discontinued model. You might find ex-display models or if you look at clearence centers then they might have them available. The replacement for that TV is the LG 50PK590 and if you shop around you can get it for less than £800.

CO2000

Worth reading up on the LG 50PK350 as well as the LG 50PK590 as some seem to say its better & save some £££'s:D

jamespompey

Standard Member
thanks guys, i was also wondering, do you recon its worth waiting until SKY 3d kicks off and everyone wants 3d tv's, which should lower the prices of standard plasmas or do you think it wont make a difference? ill certainly have a look at the 50PK350 aswell

soljiv

I dont think the prices will come down any lower except for maybe when the slaes kick in. £799 for a good 50" screen is quite a good price as it is, and with 3D commanding a high premium and available as a feature on the top end line up of most manufacturers i dont think it will push the prices down for the rest of the ranges.

jamespompey

Standard Member
Thanks, ive seen it for £799 in currys if you trade in your old tv, or £899 if not. The lowest price ive seen so far is £718 so ill probably go with that

bigtanker198

hi guys i just got the lg 50pk590 looked at the samsung ps50c550 and the lg 50pk350 aswell read alot about flicker issues on the sammy so that put me off. really pleased with the lg picture is fantastic on sky hd and blu ray. going to try it on the xbox later see if its better than the lcd i just upgraded from. i got it for £730. the 50pk350 was £650 but freewview hd and extra hdmi ports on the 590 did it for me. :thumbsup:

jamespompey

Standard Member
I've found it for £688 Inc free delivery and a free gold plated hdmi lead, not sure if that hdmi is worth it but £688 delivered is a bargain I think

bigtanker198

i have played the xbox and the ps3 on it now. both seem really good quality the moving images on fifa 10 and batlefield bad company2 seem alot better than on the lcd. not tryed it on sd tv but i hardly watch tv anyway. to say i have never wanted a plasma before im well happy i chose it over a 47" lcd. £688 seems a good price imo.

jamespompey

Standard Member
i managed to get it from dixons for £682.71 its being delivered today :) glad its good on xbox, doesnt anyone know if the HD freeview is any good? as i cant afford sky, im hoping its a little bit good. Does anyone know if ill need a new aerial or will a standard roof aerial be ok?

bigtanker198

the hd freeview is pretty good. i have my roof ariel plugged in to it and it works perfect. i watched the terrible display by england on it yseterday.

jamespompey

Standard Member
i feel for ya, i on the other hand managed to avoid such disappointment and fall asleep whilst travelling back from holiday, so i didnt even have to listen to it on the radio lol. Im glad the freeview is good. i can wait to get it home, you got any tips on setting it up properly?

bigtanker198

i set the picture to expert 1 and turned the power saving off. i read it on here somewere. im happy with the picture set like that. def turn energy saving off its loads better without it. hope that helps m8

jamespompey

Standard Member
cheers mate thats great, its just arrived so i know what ill be doing tonight now, altho i think the missus has other ideas lol

jamespompey

Standard Member
ye, basically they were offering it for just over £700 i think its was £718 but they had a 5% discount code so the final price delivered was £682, when i went into the currys store they wanted £799 for it if you traded an old tb in if not it was £899 so i think i got a bargain tbh. Not sure if they are still offering the 5% discount code tho

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom