1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 50" Plasma And Why?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CENSORED, Jan 10, 2004.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to narrow down choices for a replacement for my Sony KL50W2. I may still go the lcd route for reasons that will become obvious. Choices seem to centre around Panasonic and Pioneer but I don't know much about 50" panels so i don't know what else is decent out there. I would appreciate reasons for any recommendations made. The only concern I have with plasma's are that I prefer to watch regular telly in the native 4:3 aspect ratio rather than stretching the picture to fit the screen, screen burn around the vertical black bars on either side of the screen (or top and bottom with wide aspect material) is therefore a concern for me.

2. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pioneers newest 50 icher plasma is top quality. It boasts a brilliant picture quality and high native resolution. It also looks extremely sleek and sexy. Connectivity includes an HDMI input via the media box so with the right equipment, one cable does all, but thats more of a future proofing asset at the moment since HDMI is relitavily new. With regards to screen burn, I `m not sure why you would watch tv in 4:3 anymore. Most channels now broadcast in full widescreen 16:9. The most important thing to remember is to use the whole screen evenly. By that I mean, if you were to watch a 2.35:1 movie (bars top and bottom) constantly and no other aspect ratio is ever used, then you WOULD suffer from screen burn after a long period of time. But you are never going to do that. The same with 4:3. For every hour you watch this ratio, chances are you will spend an hour watching widescreen. It`s the onscreen logos you need to watch out for. True, LCD doesn`t suffer from this. But I believe LCD is still not up to scratch at these screen sizesa to beat plasma. (I own an LCD by the way) Give the Pioneer an audition. I`ve installed a couple of them now.

3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eyerish, I see you are in Sunny Harlow. Is there a shop/showroom in Harlow with the 504 set up so I can have a good look at it?

I only live in Hertford so its not far.

Censored I have been researching 50" plasma for a few weeks and my current thoughts are Pioneer and Panasonic. I have seen both but not had a really good session checking them out as I am awaiting funding authorisation from "The bird".

Possibility that the new Fujitsu may also be good. But finding dealers is tricky.

Prior to the all important eyeball test I am favouring the Pioneer because it is more future proof with the HDMI interface.

Of course if the 6 series Panasonic were to have an HDMI plug in module the story may change.

Rog

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Panasonic...

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My own preference was for the Panasonic which I preferred over the Pioneer. I did not view the Fujitsu as dealers are hard to find.

The panny for me has blacker blacks whereas on the pio they were a bit grayish IMHO.

The pio also seemed a little grainy to me with the panny having a cleaner looking image.

Also I preferred not having a media box as it really would not have added anything that I needed. A standard TV tuner on a 50" plasma is a waste of time and I never use teletext. The media card slot is more of a gimmick and you only have three inputs available at anyone time as the third SCART is shared with both the HDMI and Component input.

The panny also seems to work better with external scalers such as the iScan Ultra and I am looking forward to trying the new iScan HD when it becomes available.

The panny also has square pixels whereas the pio has slightly rectangular ones - this is only realy of concern if you plan to use a HTPC but even then I'm not sure how much of an issue it would be.

Lastly, I like the look of the panny over that of the pio.

Overall I am very pleased with my panny 50".

Cheers, Lee

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PM me for Fujitsu info/demo. Surrey based though.

7. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loonatic,

I have a series 4 37" Panasonic plasma in the bedroom and must say I think PQ, particularly with dvd and especially since Gordon calibrated it, is absolutely spot on. I don't mind stretching 4:3 broadcasts to fit the screen as it is only really used on weekends when I enjoy a lie in. The replacement for the KL50W2 (lcd rptv) will be viewed more regularly on a daily basis and 4:3 material will not be stretched as I get annoyed watching people with egg shaped heads and watching the footy played with a rugby ball ;)

I believe there was an issue with the series 5 Panasonic plasma's where the top and bottom halves of the screen were refreshed at the same time, some people were sensitive to flickering from this process. Has this been carried over to the series 6 and the 50 incher in particular? My 37 incher has a feature that lets you grey out the black bars to minimise the effect of screen burn, is this on the series 6 50 incher too?

Finally, I find the artefacts on Sky digital broadcasts a little off-putting compared to analogue broadcasts through my aerial. I would rather not use my Sky digi-box as an alternative to a tuner, is the Panasonic media box a good performer or would a top quality VCR tuner be a better alternative?

Lots of questions I know, but it's a lot of cash to part with!

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    CENSORED,

My plasma is in a dedicated 'playroom' and is mainly used for films, either DVDs or from Sky+, and gaming via my many consoles. So I have not watched any 'tv' shows as such. I still prefer my old Sony CRT in the living-room for day-to-day viewing.

But I must say that the Sky+ image via the iScan Ultra is very impressive and from a sensible viewing distance, I can only really notice the artifacts on the lower bit-rate channels. Saying that even home & lesuire looks okay but the film channles can look very good indeed.

I would never consider using an analogue tuner on such a screen so could not comment on the tuner box.

The screen came with a SCART module which I use with an RGB switch box for connecting my consoles. I also added an RCA component board which is used for the Denon 2900 leaving the VGA port for the iScan Ultra which has a pass-through port should I wish to connect my PC.

You still have the option of altering the colour of the side-bars on 4:3 broadcasts as per your PW4. I guess the other screen saver functions would remain the same also.

I have the manual as a PDF file - if you'd like a copy PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I have not noticed any flicker at all and I thought it was only the SD models which had this problem and not the HD models.

Would you say that getting Gordon round to calibrate your screen was worthwhile ? will you be getting him to do your new screen at some point ?

Cheers, Lee

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Best solution IMHO is a freeview box, probably netgem for YUV output, or Pace for HDD recording, plasma of your choice but no media boxes unless you must have analogue. Aspect wise, screen burn is not as threatening an issue as some think, panasonic glass in particular seems very resistant. Fuji uses very latest panasonic glass, the scart processing is way ahead of panasonic, though there are few other differences worth talking about except warrany of course, 2 yrs on Fujitsu stuff. Much freeview is in native 16:9, so 4:3 watching is more limited than it used to be, I don't think the bars are likely to be a serious screenburn issue. The panasonic media box is pretty horrid BTW, and a vcr of any description worse. Maybe a DVDR might make an alternative analogue tuner, but bear in mind it has a finite life, if the govt. have their way.

10. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    loonatic,

PM on it's way. Many thanks for your help on this.

MAW,

Hadn't considered a freeview box as I thought they were built to a price rather than a standard, given they are so cheap. Sounds like YUV is the way to go. You mention netgem, do you know where I can find out more on this box? Again, your help has been much appreciated.

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  12. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rnjones... The Audio File in Bishops Stortford is probably your best bet, However we took the pioneer plasma from them couple of weeks back for a job that we didn`t have time to order it for, so whetehr they have it up agin I do not know.

Oh, and it certainly isn`t sunny over this way....

13. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eyerish, thanks for that, after posting t occured to me that Bishops Stortford is not far from Harlow. Audio File excellent shop. Every time I go in there I come out with gadgets and a whole lot lighter in the wallet.

Rog