Best "50 hd" screen

dali1020

Established Member
Reaction score
So "what do you guys think is the best 50 hd screen" and what will it cost me? :confused:

50" Panasonic PV500, Pio 505XDE or if you dont need a TV, the Fujitsu XHA40US 50" which is what I have and love.
Be advised the Fuji is hard to find, on-line but the price has recently been dropped £500 to £4500. This means that it is still more expensive (at most stores) than either of the others.
It doesnt seem to suffer as many of the issues that the many many PV500 owners have highlit (see other threads). Some users have reported minor visual flaws that typify plasmas (banding etc) but although I have observed these, they arent at all intrusive. Its even very watchable on freeview -Sport included ! Feed it with a decent signal (eg scaled DVD or preferably, HD) and the picture is jaw-dropping.

Dont forget that the 8 series panasonics are just around the corner and should include the best of the Fujitsu technology at a lower price................

Pat Marcus said:
Dont forget that the 8 series panasonics are just around the corner and should include the best of the Fujitsu technology at a lower price................
The Panasonics don't have any of the Fujitsu processing, both panels just share the same glass.

If you need a TV there is gonna be a TV version of the Fuji which for only £200 more gives you a wall mount, sexy black speakers, and media box with analogue tuner, 3 scarts, couple of components, HDMI, DVI, 2 VGA, all with digital audio switching. Very, very cool. Should be available next month.

I've got first week of september for the 50" screens and HD 42" panels (this week for SD 42", next week for 37").

Initial pricing looks a little more than where it ended up with the 7 series but no doubt it will fall.

Liam @ Prog AV said:
there is gonna be a TV version of the Fuji which for only £200 more gives you a wall mount, sexy black speakers, and media box with analogue tuner, 3 scarts, couple of components, HDMI, DVI, 2 VGA, all with digital audio switching. Very, very cool. Should be available next month.

uwh! uwh! Tell us more,Prettty pllleassse! :D is this going to be a PV500 competitor?

I don't think I'm allowed to tell you much, just had a post deleted where I told dali1020 roughly how much the Panasonic will be priced at.

But here goes anyway!! THe TV version is much the same PQ as the monitor. It has all processing in the media box (very similar to the arrangement with last years HHS30) so AVM2 etc etc. THe juicy bit is three scart sockets (all RGB iirc), 2 component inputs, one HDMI input, s-vid, DVI (non-HDCP) and two VGAs. I think six of the inputs have optical digital audio. Optical runs up to the screen for the side speakers, and another optical out for your av amp (so no need to switch sources on the amp). The speakers are sexy slimline black numbers like the fancy Pioneer ones that float just aside the screen, the wall mount is a simply Fuji mount. There is an optional swivel stand available (which is also now available for the monitor version). Oh the tuner is that tasty Philips chipset, haven't seen it in a Fuji setup before but where I have the result hasn't been too bad for RF.

So of course it's gonna be a PV500 competitor!! Or should I say a PV500 beater... I am holding final judgement on if the Fuji TV is indeed the same as the Fuji monitor until I can side-by-side the two Fujitsus - but can't see that there will be a lot of difference in PQ between the two.

Spoke to my new Fuji rep yesterday, stock might be in earlier than planned... like next week :clap:

If anyone was at the Fuji stand at CEDIA (and were able to draw their eyes away from that STUNNING bird on the front desk) those were all the new TV versions on display.

ripclaw said:
Damn, Liam. Did you take a picture of her?

It's XXX rated stuff I tell you :devil:

Actually it looks exactly the same as the monitor just with black speakers and a silver media box. Fujitsu UK have said they will eventually update their website with images, I now have brochures but no scanner to scan the image. Hmmm digital camera here.... brb

Didn't come out very well but you get the picture (excuse the pun)

fuji.jpg

Coming vaguely back on-topic, the forthcoming Pioneer 506XDE (or 506FDE) sounds rather exciting. If you believe Pioneer the black levels are actually slightly superior to those of Panasonic screens this time round, and initial indications of price suggest that it may be anything up to £900 cheaper than the Panasonic or Fujitsu equivalent too. But that's all very much up in the air at the moment, of course.

Yeah, the 6th gen Pioneers sound very promising.

Question for Liam / MAW : Can the current generation Pioneers accept 720p/50 Hz and 1080i / 50Hz via HDMI? I apologise for this being OT.

The fde/xde range can accept 50Hz via hdmi.

interesting, can those panels do native res at 50Hz and 60Hz via DVI with no problems?

Are the speakers on the TV version of the fujitsu removeable? i fancy the extra functionality of the media box but will be using my own speakers.

Owain which panels?? Pioneer XDE/FDE can do 50Hz HDTV but no digital native res. Fujitsu can do 50Hz HDTV but only 60Hz native res.

Pioneer MXE1 is still the king for scaler/HTPC users, HDCP can be worked around...

As yet there is no such thing as a perfect plasma, ie DVI/HDMI HDCP input capable of HD ready resolutions and native res at 50Hz. It's a tragedy. Looks like the new Panasonics won't either. And if you put a key digital HDMI card into a Pioneer MXE it takes 720p but not native, and the DVI on the screen takes native at 50Hz but no HDCP.... :mad:

Sure most could answer this, course they can!

great, I was reading the thread about the fujitsu and was quite taken with it but I seem to remember there being problems with getting NR via DVI.

What advantages would you say the fuji has over the current pioneers? I would be mainly using an HCPC connected via DVI and sky+ via RGB (and, as soon as possible, Sky HD via HDMI).

sorry for hijacking a bit but I suppose its relevant.

I say you still need a decent transcoder, so you can go in RGBhv and native res at 48, 50, 60, 72 and 75Hz.
That is what I do with mine.

Well with the Fuji, you can go native on DVI and 720p on HDMI, so no issues at all. With the Pioneer, the XDE, you have only VGA on the front of the media box for PC, it's not the best HCPC partner. The MXE would work OK with Guy's transcoder, no probs at all, but you would be adding the small risk of the transcoder being disabled. Personally I doubt it will be a problem.

Well there's sort of a perfect plasma solution. An MXE1, with a Lumagen scaler and a HDCP "solution" in line. Ultimate HD and SD processing, HDTV Readiness, superb picture. Involves a little black box of tricks but can't see that being a problem

Fuji has a 50Hz issue - as in it won't do it exactly 1:1. Will display 1366x768 @ 50Hz, but is being rescaled horizontally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom