1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best "50 hd" screen

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dali1020, Aug 14, 2005.

1. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So "what do you guys think is the best 50 hd screen" and what will it cost me? :confused:

2. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    50" Panasonic PV500, Pio 505XDE or if you dont need a TV, the Fujitsu XHA40US 50" which is what I have and love.
    Be advised the Fuji is hard to find, on-line but the price has recently been dropped £500 to £4500. This means that it is still more expensive (at most stores) than either of the others.
    It doesnt seem to suffer as many of the issues that the many many PV500 owners have highlit (see other threads). Some users have reported minor visual flaws that typify plasmas (banding etc) but although I have observed these, they arent at all intrusive. Its even very watchable on freeview -Sport included ! Feed it with a decent signal (eg scaled DVD or preferably, HD) and the picture is jaw-dropping.

3. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dont forget that the 8 series panasonics are just around the corner and should include the best of the Fujitsu technology at a lower price................

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Panasonics don't have any of the Fujitsu processing, both panels just share the same glass.

If you need a TV there is gonna be a TV version of the Fuji which for only £200 more gives you a wall mount, sexy black speakers, and media box with analogue tuner, 3 scarts, couple of components, HDMI, DVI, 2 VGA, all with digital audio switching. Very, very cool. Should be available next month.

5. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When are the pw8`s due and what is it going to cost?

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I've got first week of september for the 50" screens and HD 42" panels (this week for SD 42", next week for 37").

Initial pricing looks a little more than where it ended up with the 7 series but no doubt it will fall.

7. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uwh! uwh! Tell us more,Prettty pllleassse! :D is this going to be a PV500 competitor?

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I don't think I'm allowed to tell you much, just had a post deleted where I told dali1020 roughly how much the Panasonic will be priced at.

But here goes anyway!! THe TV version is much the same PQ as the monitor. It has all processing in the media box (very similar to the arrangement with last years HHS30) so AVM2 etc etc. THe juicy bit is three scart sockets (all RGB iirc), 2 component inputs, one HDMI input, s-vid, DVI (non-HDCP) and two VGAs. I think six of the inputs have optical digital audio. Optical runs up to the screen for the side speakers, and another optical out for your av amp (so no need to switch sources on the amp). The speakers are sexy slimline black numbers like the fancy Pioneer ones that float just aside the screen, the wall mount is a simply Fuji mount. There is an optional swivel stand available (which is also now available for the monitor version). Oh the tuner is that tasty Philips chipset, haven't seen it in a Fuji setup before but where I have the result hasn't been too bad for RF.

So of course it's gonna be a PV500 competitor!! Or should I say a PV500 beater... I am holding final judgement on if the Fuji TV is indeed the same as the Fuji monitor until I can side-by-side the two Fujitsus - but can't see that there will be a lot of difference in PQ between the two.

Spoke to my new Fuji rep yesterday, stock might be in earlier than planned... like next week :clap:

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If anyone was at the Fuji stand at CEDIA (and were able to draw their eyes away from that STUNNING bird on the front desk) those were all the new TV versions on display.

10. ripclaw

ripclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Damn, Liam. Did you take a picture of her?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The price of it made me take a couple of running steps backwards though! Or did I bounce off.....

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It's XXX rated stuff I tell you :devil:

Actually it looks exactly the same as the monitor just with black speakers and a silver media box. Fujitsu UK have said they will eventually update their website with images, I now have brochures but no scanner to scan the image. Hmmm digital camera here.... brb

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Didn't come out very well but you get the picture (excuse the pun)

[​IMG]

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Coming vaguely back on-topic, the forthcoming Pioneer 506XDE (or 506FDE) sounds rather exciting. If you believe Pioneer the black levels are actually slightly superior to those of Panasonic screens this time round, and initial indications of price suggest that it may be anything up to £900 cheaper than the Panasonic or Fujitsu equivalent too. But that's all very much up in the air at the moment, of course.

15. ripclaw

ripclaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, the 6th gen Pioneers sound very promising.

Question for Liam / MAW : Can the current generation Pioneers accept 720p/50 Hz and 1080i / 50Hz via HDMI? I apologise for this being OT.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    The fde/xde range can accept 50Hz via hdmi.

17. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    interesting, can those panels do native res at 50Hz and 60Hz via DVI with no problems?

Are the speakers on the TV version of the fujitsu removeable? i fancy the extra functionality of the media box but will be using my own speakers.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sure most could answer this, course they can!

19. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Owain which panels?? Pioneer XDE/FDE can do 50Hz HDTV but no digital native res. Fujitsu can do 50Hz HDTV but only 60Hz native res.

Pioneer MXE1 is still the king for scaler/HTPC users, HDCP can be worked around...

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As yet there is no such thing as a perfect plasma, ie DVI/HDMI HDCP input capable of HD ready resolutions and native res at 50Hz. It's a tragedy. Looks like the new Panasonics won't either. And if you put a key digital HDMI card into a Pioneer MXE it takes 720p but not native, and the DVI on the screen takes native at 50Hz but no HDCP.... :mad:

21. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    great, I was reading the thread about the fujitsu and was quite taken with it but I seem to remember there being problems with getting NR via DVI.

What advantages would you say the fuji has over the current pioneers? I would be mainly using an HCPC connected via DVI and sky+ via RGB (and, as soon as possible, Sky HD via HDMI).

sorry for hijacking a bit but I suppose its relevant.

22. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    I say you still need a decent transcoder, so you can go in RGBhv and native res at 48, 50, 60, 72 and 75Hz.
    That is what I do with mine.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well with the Fuji, you can go native on DVI and 720p on HDMI, so no issues at all. With the Pioneer, the XDE, you have only VGA on the front of the media box for PC, it's not the best HCPC partner. The MXE would work OK with Guy's transcoder, no probs at all, but you would be adding the small risk of the transcoder being disabled. Personally I doubt it will be a problem.

24. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well there's sort of a perfect plasma solution. An MXE1, with a Lumagen scaler and a HDCP "solution" in line. Ultimate HD and SD processing, HDTV Readiness, superb picture. Involves a little black box of tricks but can't see that being a problem

25. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Fuji has a 50Hz issue - as in it won't do it exactly 1:1. Will display 1366x768 @ 50Hz, but is being rescaled horizontally.

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's true on HDMI but DVI was as far as I could see 1:1. Think that was at 75Hz actually, but that works for me. The lttle black box solution pretty much like Guy's except digital all the way? Same issue, could be disabled at any time, technically, and isn't talking about them a breach of rules? Or maybe not if we don't mention the brand name, just that they exist!

27. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hmm, I rmember starting with DVI but then realising HDMI took NR didn't go back to DVI again. Can't be though. Can it? 75Hz is fine with me too, especially with Lumagens lovely new Genlock features. Well, should have some Fuji's come through for install in a couple weeks time so will have a quick look then. But I'm so sure I've already tried. Best I got was 50Hz XGA which was perfect vertical and just scaled horizontally. Prefered 720p in the end though.

28. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will the new pw8 50" play sky HD when it`s released? (ie. is it HD ready) Any dates of release, prices. Also i was told when i play dvd etc i will not have the black bars top and bottom so will not have to use the zoom on this size screen is this correct? :confused:

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The screen will definitely accept sky HD signals, that's the whole point of the new model. As to the black bar situation, someone's been shooting a line. That depends entirely on the aspect ratio of the broadcast or DVD transfer. Anything by Spielberg is 16:9, many other movies are wider, and will show black bars unless you zoom them. This is the case for any widescreen format display, not unique to Panasonic. LOTR for instance is 2.35:1, and will show bars, Shrek is true 16:9 and will fill the screen. BBC News 24 is frequently 14:9 and will then show black bars, thin ones, on either side. Confused? Quite understandable, so many ratios you can't buy a screen that's right for them all.

30. dali1020

dali1020

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is the ratio of the pw8 50`screen? (Is it 16.1 ) Is it a wide screen display.