Best 50-60in tv type for movies and gaming

Corona2172

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to decide on the best tv for watching movies/gaming. I currently have a 42LG50 LCD that worked pretty well for a long time. However, due to damages, I am replacing it. The new tv must be between 50-60in. What I need help with is what type of tv I should get: LED, LCD or Plasma, considering these following points:

1. I watch a good bit of movies and want great, sharp picture quality.
2. I keep my laptop hooked up to my tv and I use it for gaming. My current tv is only 60hz, and it does well, so i'm sure any faster will automatically be better heh.
3. I do like bright, but i'm more concerned with a detailed-rich colored image.

I had a look at a few tv's today: the Samsung 60" class plasma 1080p vertical 600hz hdtv / and the the Sharp 60" class LED 1080p 120hz hdtv . I couldn't figure out which to get. I like a good crisp image with no blur...

Any and all help is much appreciated. Oh, for the record, I'm not interested in anything over 1,500.00 US. Thanks.

Plasma suffers from image retention so can have problems with gaming.
Personally I prefer plasma because of the colour quality and viewing angle but LED (or more accurately LCD/LED) may be best for your purposes.
The 120/600Hz is sub field processing, the frame rate is still 60Hz

Plasma suffers from image retention so can have problems with gaming.
Personally I prefer plasma because of the colour quality and viewing angle but LED (or more accurately LCD/LED) may be best for your purposes.
The 120/600Hz is sub field processing, the frame rate is still 60Hz

As above, I'll just add that that processing can introduce lag for gaming. Also plasma can be fine for gaming and movie watching on PC, but you do need to be aware of IR, so bright static logos for long periods can be an issue. I console game on plasma with any really problems but you do need to be aware.

Thanks for the feedback. I know that IR is a slight potential issue, but i'm just trying to figure out if it is a problem. I do enjoy a bright and vibrant screen, but, as you say, plasma screens do look great, and they seem to show true color rather than "white-washed". The aforementioned LED tv was only noted due to the fact that, of all the tv's on display at the store, the only LED to match the picture quality of the plasmas was the one I mentioned. Since I keep my laptop hooked to the tv, i've heard that LED/LCD might be best, as it renders still images better (typing, web-browsing, etc). I am just concerned as to which one might have more input lag. Do you guys know which would give me the best response time? Or, which has both great response and image, etc. Sorry for all the ignorant questions heh.

EDIT* Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking that the hz was the frame rate.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom