Best 50 - 55 inch for SD only?

londonjojo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've spent some time searching the site but can't find a specific thread for my query so am hoping someone out there can help...

I am about to buy a new TV for my bedroom and need some advice as i have quite particular needs. My room is quite big and the viewing distance is about 5 metres so i think i need at least a 50 inch, maybe bigger. I have Sky+ HD in my living room, but use a magic eye to my bedroom and hence i can only receive SD on the bedroom TV. (Unless someone can suggest a way of getting HD in the bedroom without a second Sky+ HD box??)

Therefore, my question is - what is the best 50 - 55 inch (LCD or plasma) for SD only? I have the Panny 42G20 in my living room which i do really like, and i am definitely considering the 50G20 for the bedroom, but just wondered what other TVs i should be considering. Most of these threads focus on HD which for most people is important but for the reason above, i am only interested in SD picture quality.

As for price, i'm looking to spend about £1500 but could go a bit higher for the right TV!

Would really appreciate any help / advice!

Many thanks,

Jo

I have Sky+ HD in my living room, but use a magic eye to my bedroom and hence i can only receive SD on the bedroom TV. (Unless someone can suggest a way of getting HD in the bedroom without a second Sky+ HD box??)

If you can get the hdmi lead upstairs then it's easy, all you need is an hdmi splitter box attached to your sky hd box. i have one sky hd box broadcasting hdmi to all my bedrooms and that is via a gefen hdmi splitter and using magic eyes to change the channels. should make your choice easier!

btw If you can get hold of an 8th or 9th gen kuro you won't go wrong with standard def. i have the pdp-508xd and as amazing as it is with HD it is also very god with sd

Thanks Herbiefish. The HDMI splitter does sound like a great solution but i have no idea how i could get the HDMI cable upstairs. How have you managed it? I don't have carpets to run it underneath and don't want it along the floor!

Mine was a self build so all cables were buried in the wall.

It would all depend on where your bedroom is in relation to the living room. If the bedroom is directly above the living room could you not run the cable up the wall and through the ceiling and then cover the cable? Alternatively could you run it outside the house and then put some sort of protective sealant over the cable to weatherproof it (not sure if's needed). It would all depend on the layout of your house really and how much effort you want to go to. You could always channel out the wall/walls, run the cable and then plaster over. I did that on one of my walls when I changed my mind on the location of my sky box. Might end up costing less than another sky box and you also wouldn't have to pay for multiroom.

Thanks so much, but given the layout of my home i just don't think running the cable is an option unfortunately - definitely would be the best solution if it were possible.

Think i'm just going to try having SD only upstairs and see how much it bugs me. As someone else pointed out, if i get the 50G20 (or similar) i can get Freeview HD which is something at least. Still might end up getting a 2nd box and multiroom though if it's not enough.

Thanks again for our advice, much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom