• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best 50" 1920x1080 Plasma Screen

Trevor spencer

Established Member
Hi

ive owned my 42" PWD7 screen for 3yrs now and have been very happy with it but im looking into upgrading to a larger full HD screen , i really like the way i can chose which input boards i can put in my panasonic so if pos wouldnt mind sticking to something a bit more professional like that but im open to anything really

Thanks

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Best 1080p plasmas are not necessarily affordable, so it would help to know the depth of your purse, so blokes can give some advice based on that.

Trevor spencer

Established Member
prob £2000 budget but wouldnt mind trying to get a cheaper end of line bargain or maybe a lightly used 2nd hand screen

Thanks

tman

Prominent Member
prob £2000 budget but wouldnt mind trying to get a cheaper end of line bargain or maybe a lightly used 2nd hand screen

Thanks

Well, that's the Pio 5090 out then! You could try looking for a Pio 508, or start with the Panasonic TH50PZ800 or Samsung PS50A756T. They will both come in a fair bit under £2k

RayP

Prominent Member
which one of these would be best suited for watching mainly SD programs via a topfield freeview PVR please....

If you're going to watch a lot of SD I would avoid full HD. The extra pixels don't give the best SD picture. Instead consider a Panny PH10 50". The SD pictures on my PH9 are excellent.

Once the majority of programmes are in HD then that might be the time to switch to full HD.

Trevor spencer

Established Member
hi , well i have a load of SD DVD's but i also use xbox 360 loads and i plan on getting a PS3 and building a HD PC Media centre and in the future quite fancy free sat HD so not to sure what to go for ?

What res are the PH9 & PH10 screens ?

Thanks

RayP

Prominent Member
hi , well i have a load of SD DVD's but i also use xbox 360 loads and i plan on getting a PS3 and building a HD PC Media centre and in the future quite fancy free sat HD so not to sure what to go for ?

What res are the PH9 & PH10 screens ?

Thanks

The 42" PH10 is 1024*768 and the 50" 1366*768. The PH9 is an older model.

Don't believe all the hype about 1080p and Full HD. There will be very little difference on 720p vs 1080i even on a 50" but the PQ improvement with SD will be greater with the 768 vertical resolution. More is not always better.

Trevor spencer

Established Member
sounds good , cam you still buy the ph9 anywhere ? apart from 2nd hand

rewerb

Prominent Member
The Panasonic PH11 panels should be out by the end of year (out in the USA at the moment). Otherwise the Pioneers are £2500+.

You coulld always look the Panny 50PZ80, around £1200 and save yourself some money.

RayP

Prominent Member
sounds good , cam you still buy the ph9 anywhere ? apart from 2nd hand

I doubt it. The PH10 is virtually identical to it and the price is half what I paid 2 years ago. This site stocks the 42" and 50". http://www.bluestreamav.co.uk/pages/products.aspx?s=0111901110

The PH series are built to a higher spec than the domestic Viera range but as they're only panels (no TV or amp) you need a TV source (Sky, Virgin, Freeview) and a AV amp and speakers. Edit: I see you already have those.

But they can be ISF calibrated for top notch picture quality.

Last edited:

Trevor spencer

Established Member
The Panasonic PH11 panels should be out by the end of year (out in the USA at the moment). Otherwise the Pioneers are £2500+.

You coulld always look the Panny 50PZ80, around £1200 and save yourself some money.

ahh PH11 , might hold on for one of those then , ive been so pleased with my panny panel i wouldnt mind going for another , my PWD7 was worth every penny

Trevor spencer

Established Member
i recently saw a TH-50PH10UK go for sale on ebay for £875 but i believe this is the US model , so would you need a stepdown to power this ?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom