Best 5 channel power amp for the new M&K S300 speakers???

avr007

Novice Member
Reaction score
What's the best power amp for the new M&K S300 speakers?

You may well not need a power amp as these speakers will run off a decent avr depending on your room size and listening distance.

The speakers have a sensitivity of 94db so as long as you have something like an Anthem 510 or similar you may be good to go.

Richmagnus is looking to get the MP300's when they are out and he is looking to run them of his 510, he has an Anthem power amp at present but is probably looking to dispose of that to part fund the 300's.

I think Gecko is running their 300's with an Integra avr IIRC, I am not saying you don't need a power amp but with the extra efficiency you could well be ok without one.

What processor do you have?

What size room do you have?

What other speakers are you running?

Budget?

A power amp will probably help you get a few extra percent from the 300's but it does depend on the above really.

I'm thinking about going straight to an Oppo 105D Signature from audiocom and cutting out the avr/processor. What would be the best power amp for the Oppo 105D Signature going to M&K S300 speakers?

Oppo 105 as a processor | AVForums

The same question about going straight from a 105 (not the D version) a while back, I have not read the thread so don't really know what the conclusion was.

I will say though it does not sound that practical as it has no room eq or bass management as far as I know and you will want bass management and eq if you are going to be running subwoofers with the 300's.

I would get an Anthem 510 and see how that goes before deciding on if you need a power amp in the first place.

Quality speakers will always respond well to better amplification, which is normally provided by a dedicated power amplifier. The outright power of the amplifier may not be needed, but its dynamic capabilities will always be a benefit.

when you factor in cost of 300s plus quality power amp for 1k more you might as well go the active Mk route imo

I thought the 300's would be a better speaker than the 150's, even the active versions.

I know if I was spending £6k on the front 3 I'd want some pretty decent processing and amplification to do them justice.

I thought the 300's would be a better speaker than the 150's, even the active versions.

I know if I was spending £6k on the front 3 I'd want some pretty decent processing and amplification to do them justice.

It's a premium speaker so I can't understand why anyone would skimp on the power or processing. my Mk Sound S150 mk1s sounded brilliant to me, when powered by an Ab Cinema series power amp. If I ever had to go back to passive..that's where I'd be looking.

A speaker has a wider appeal if buyers are told they can be used with budget amplification - get them to by into that, then tell them they sound better with a power amp - add on sale. It happened last year as well...

If anyone thinks amplification isn't important with quality speakers, then they need enlightening.

The 300s might be better than the actives but I doubt it .. I think if you already have quality pre and pros the 300s look very tasty failing that i'd go 150s and buy a power amp (though this is a disputed as needed depending on who you talk to ) or actives.

BUDGET is the key. Until we have that, we are just rambling.

There is no Best, there is only the best of what you can afford that you actually like.

Most would agree that these are certainly approaching the 'Best' you can buy without having a heart attack when you look at the price tag -

Parasound HALO A52

Parasound HALO A51

If you prefer and you have piles of money laying around, consider a Three channel amp combined with a Two channel amp -

Parasound HALO A21 2 Channel Power Amplifier

Parasound A31 Power Amplifier

To ask for the 'best' is a dangerous thing, best give us a budget which will in turn give us some perspective.

Alternatives -

Multi Channel Power Amps Marantz MM7055 | hifix.co.uk

Multi Channel Power Amps Marantz MM8077 | hifix.co.uk

Multi Channel Power Amps Rotel RMB1565 | hifix.co.uk

Multi Channel Power Amps Rotel RMB1575 | hifix.co.uk

That should give you something to think about.

Steve/bluewizard

Are the S300s 4ohms? (I thought all the recent MK/M&K/whatever speakers were 4ohm?)

Can those Marantz amps run at 4ohms? The website listings don't say they can, in which case the Rotels would seem to be the only choice out of those listed (that aren't £££££).

I believe the S300 are 4ohms like the rest of the MK Sound range.

Other power amps that could be considered (budget depending of course Steve ;) ) would be the Anthem MCA 30 or MCA 50 at £1,799 and £2,699 respectively. Their power amps are rated for 4ohm loads, though their AVRs don't seem to be, which (while off topic) makes it hard for me to upgrade to an all Anthem set up piecemeal, since I can't get 100% confirmation that I could use an MRX510 with 4ohm speakers until a power amp could be obtained.

Anthem MCA 30 Power Amplifier

Anthem MCA 50 Power Amplifier

I'm not 100% convinced I can hear the difference between different amps myself though, so I can't decide what to do, though I'm running MP150 rather than S300: I've got my eye on a used Arcam P7, but I don't know if this would really be the ideal choice to use with S300 though.

EDIT: A while ago I found some specs for one of the Marantz power amps that quoted 4ohm load figures, but I can't find them now. Either my memory is failing (not impossible :blush:) and I'm looking at the wrong amp, or they've changed the specs. I was considering the 5 channel MM7055 myself at £899, but now it seems that this model is only quoted for 8 or 6 ohms.

Last edited:
Also, you need to be a little careful with higher sensitivity speakers. They make more of the incoming signal, 'amplify' things to a greater extent, if you will. If you choose an amplifier that doesn't have a particularly low noise floor, the speakers will be revealing/amplifying more of the noise that the amplifier/receiver is producing. Many speakers are designed to create a balance between various evils - it seems most manufacturers choose an efficiency of 87-90dB. One evil can be eliminated, but another evil is then usually pronounced.

The issue probably isn't as pronounced as when using higher efficiency horn speakers which are nearer 100dB sensitivity, but it is worth taking into account. Plug them into an amp, switch it on, and turn it up to 0dB - that will reveal how noisy the accompanying electronics are, and how much the speakers will be exaggerating the noise they produce.

Here is the full range of Anthem Power amps -

Peter Tyson - Anthem

The Anthem MCA30 are £1800 and the MCA50 are £2700.

If you want the most amp for the least money, the Emotia are indeed a good deal.

Emotiva Audio - Home Page

You can buy direct from them, they ship around the world, though you pay shipping and import tax.

As well as a very nice 5-channel amp -

XPA-5 | 200W x 5 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components....

As well as a 5-channel, they also have a 3-channel (200w/ch) and a 2-channel (300w/ch) -

XPA-3 | 200W x 3 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components ...

XPA-2 | 300W x 2 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components....

They also make their own AV Pre-amp/Processor -

UMC-200 7.1 Home Theater Preamp/Surround Processor | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components ...

That's actually a pretty good deal, if you don't mind ordering them unheard.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
The 300s might be better than the actives but I doubt it .. I think if you already have quality pre and pros the 300s look very tasty failing that i'd go 150s and buy a power amp (though this is a disputed as needed depending on who you talk to ) or actives.
Ive spent a good deal of time with both the 2150p actives and the S300's run off a dedicated Integra power amp. Id take the S300's based on performance alone, to me they make the active versions obsolete for the consumer, and when the active S300 model comes along, which will no doubt be a very expensive speaker, Ive no doubt the bar will be raised again. I personally, honestly cant see a position for the active S150 for the domestic end user now. If you already have quality amplification running a set of 150's, the upgrade path is pretty clear IMO, obviously that bit isnt aimed at you.

In terms of your original questioning line, IMO your always better putting upgrade money into speakers before amps. High quality amplification is the final piece of the puzzle IMHO, kinda the icing on the cake. An amp upgrade will no doubt make your current speakers sound better, but better than an S150 of your current AVR, Im not so sure myself.

Last edited:
does anyone know if there is a uk distributor of anthem products, or is it the same deal as emotiva?

I'm considering MKs too at the moment, and again, worried that the Anthem MRX 510 won't deal with 4 ohms, so I have the extra expense of a power amp to add on :(

I'm considering MKs too at the moment, and again, worried that the Anthem MRX 510 won't deal with 4 ohms, so I have the extra expense of a power amp to add on :(
Not entirely sure but I think it depends on how the resistance changes at different frequencys as a lot of 8ohm hifi speakers dip into 3ohm at points I believe, not sure but I think the mk's impedance curve is flatter? There are quite a few people running mk's off the MRX and not had any problems yet

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom