1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 5.1/6.1 speaker package for DVD-963SA + AVR-1604 combo at 300£

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by -=Kamikaze=-, Apr 19, 2004.

1. -=Kamikaze=-

-=Kamikaze=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original system I had in mind would have cost me at least 10.000£ for speaker, receiver, dvd player and projector. Unfortunately a realistic review of my financial situation for the immediate future slowly choked the air out of those lofty dreams.

So I decided to skip the projector and just get the best receiver, dvd player and speakers my measly 900£ could get me. After some search I decided that the Phillips 963SA dvd player and Denon AVR-1604 were as good as anything I could get for that kind of money but if you disagree feel free to suggest otherwise.

I live in Denmark so I have to import all these parts and after an careful search I realised that the dvd and receiver were going to set me back about 300£ each. That leaves me with a 300£ budget for the speakers.

The speakers are the hardest part to decide upon since I really don't know much about them. A search on some German online shops for 5.1 speaker packages within my range led me to believe that I should buy the JBL SCS178 surround package. Is this a good choice?

I recon I will be using my system mainly for movie watching with the occasional music thrown in for a good measure. I live in a flat so I can't always turn the volume all the way up so it would be nice if the speakers sounded good even on low volumes. The receiver is a 6.1 receiver but having a centre surround speaker isn’t a high priority so I'm just looking for a 5.1 speaker package but if a good 6.1 package can be bought at my budget I'll be interested. I can always buy the centre surround speaker later on.

If you can recommend some cheap dealers that sell any of these items and deliver within EU I would like to hear about them. Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you very much.

2. -=Kamikaze=-

-=Kamikaze=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to opted for the Denon 1804 instead of it's slimmer brother the 1604. This will make the output power of the Receiver higher than the 75W input of the JBL speakers. But that shouldn't mean anything as long as I don't turn up the volume to insane heights, should it?

Generally what should I be on the look out for when looking to buy speakers? Physical size? How many watts they can handle? Something else perhaps?

Although the Denon AVR-1804 is entry-level product it is still a quality product by many standards. It would like to at least match the quality of sound it outputs with worthy speakers. Is 300£ really enough to do that or should I be spending more? If so then on what?