Best 4K TV for upscaling & general usage?

JiSingh1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just general advice for now regarding 55" TVs.

Currently got a 43" Samsung TV 1080P.

We use virgin media TV so of course watch many SD channels, and also some HD channels as part of our package.

What 55" TVs out there are good at upscaling and good for general mixed usage? there is no gaming though as it's a living room TV.

Thanks

Usually if you have a V6 box the upscaling of the TV will be redundant since you usually set the box to output 4k to the TV, so the box itself does upscaling instead.

To utilise TVs upscaling instead you'd send the same signal the box receives to the TV, so for SD TV, set it to output 576i and for HD TV set it to output 1080i.

So really, unless you have an older box, you can probably just go for a cheap 4k TV, even outputting HD from the box cheaper TVs are fine with 1080i>4k upscaling.

What's you're viewing distance, and do you need wide viewing angles?

Usually if you have a V6 box the upscaling of the TV will be redundant since you usually set the box to output 4k to the TV, so the box itself does upscaling instead.

To utilise TVs upscaling instead you'd send the same signal the box receives to the TV, so for SD TV, set it to output 576i and for HD TV set it to output 1080i.

What's you're viewing distance, and do you need wide viewing angles?
Currently on a V6 box, with the Max/full house package so sky movies HD, sky sports HD, and all the other channels. Currently using the built in Prime Video & Netflix too.

Viewing distance is probably around.. 7 feet, & wide angles would be preferable as we have a sofa off to the side for guests so they kinda need to see the TV.

Currently on a V6 box, with the Max/full house package so sky movies HD, sky sports HD, and all the other channels. Currently using the built in Prime Video & Netflix too.

Viewing distance is probably around.. 7 feet, & wide angles would be preferable as we have a sofa off to the side for guests so they kinda need to see the TV.
I would look at 55" Sony X80J (2020 model) or if you can find a better price on last years models they start with 55XH80xx or 55XH81xx. Last years models were also sold at 49" but this years is 50" with narrow viewing angles.

Alternatively look at a 49" or 55" LG model such as their Nano series. These TVs won't have as good viewing angles but typically cost less than Sony's, so are better value for money.

Another option is 55" Hisense TVs like the A6G or A7G.

Avoid 50" & 58 as a size, as those sizes always have narrow viewing angles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom