Best 4K TV at a £1000 price point?

mrhodes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for the best 4k TV at a price point of £1000 (can raise to £1100 depending on the quality of the TV).

Things I'm looking for:
- Low Input lag as I will be primarily using it as a PC monitor.
- 4:4:4 chroma.
- 10 bit panel.
- Direct LED - Can make an exception for Edge Lit if the TV has great reviews for it.

Thing I'm not looking for:
- OLED is beyond my price range and is prone to screen burn.
- Sizes below 40" or beyond 60".

LG 55SJ950V - 15ms Input Lag at 4k@60hz 4:4:4
LG 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play

I was considering a Samsung Q7F TV, but it is an edge lit tv where the light goes from the bottom, as opposed to around the entire TV.

If you need more information, please let me know and thank you in advance!

Matt

Thought the LG was from the bottom also?
Have you seen one in the flesh? I had a play with one on Saturday and thought the picture was terrible 4k was not bad but DSE was really bad, bad enough for my GF to comment :laugh:

Have you seen one in the flesh? I had a play with one on Saturday and thought the picture was terrible 4k was not bad but DSE was really bad, bad enough for my GF to comment :laugh:

I'm going to head to Richer Sounds today to take a look, but seems to be the closest thing to large scale PC monitor. Still open to suggestions for other TVs.

- 10 bit panel.
Why is this important to you?
- Low Input lag as I will be primarily using it as a PC monitor.
All 2017 TVs have low enough input lag, unless you are unusually sensitive or a competitive gamer you don't need to worry about this when making a purchase like you used too.
- 4:4:4 chroma.
Can't think of a TV that doesn't support this now at 1080p. HDMI won't let you send 10bit 2160p @ 444 though at 60hz, that is just a bandwidth limitation currently in place. You can send a max of 4:2:2.
0JAKdUF.png

- Direct LED - Can make an exception for Edge Lit if the TV has great reviews for it.
Its largely irrelevant now at lower budgets, but if this is important to you then the Sony XE9005 is a perfect fit.

Oddly the XE9305 is also a very good choice but it may be out of budget, its an edge lit TV unlike the XE9005 but has superior local dimming.
LG 55SJ950V - 15ms Input Lag at 4k@60hz 4:4:4
This is a poor TV in every other respect, avoid at all costs unless you need wide viewing angles from an IPS panel.

Why is this important to you?

All 2017 TVs have low enough input lag, unless you are unusually sensitive or a competitive gamer you don't need to worry about this when making a purchase like you used too.

Can't think of a TV that doesn't support this now at 1080p. HDMI won't let you send 10bit 2160p @ 444 though at 60hz, that is just a bandwidth limitation currently in place. You can send a max of 4:2:2.
0JAKdUF.png

Its largely irrelevant now at lower budgets, but if this is important to you then the Sony XE9005 is a perfect fit.

Oddly the XE9305 is also a very good choice but it may be out of budget, its an edge lit TV unlike the XE9005 but has superior local dimming.
This is a poor TV in every other respect, avoid at all costs unless you need wide viewing angles from an IPS panel.

Hi Dodge, thank you for the breakdown. Have seen your highly detailed posts previously, and was looking forward to a response from you.

Why a 10 bit panel?
- From what I have read, there's a noticeable difference between 8 bit and 10 bit when HDR is involved - this is a feature I would like to use in the future.

4:4:4 chroma and bandwidth
- From the technical breakdown of TVs I've seen on Rtings reviews, they state that 4:4:4 4k@60hz is supported.
Sony X900E Review (XBR49X900E, XBR55X900E, XBR65X900E, XBR75X900E)

Input lag
Currently, I'm using a 7ms 30" 1600p monitor, so would want to get a reasonable input of 15-25ms.

Putting together dbeevers' and your feedback, I'm completely put off the LG now! :laugh:

In the grand scheme of HDR, bit depth isn't really that important at all, some higher bit depth displays are able to display an image with less gradients but there are also 8bit panels that do this well too. In terms of colour coverage or saturation TVs are not yet at the level where its beneficial to have a native 10 bit display. No doubt as time goes on and we get closer to covering 100% of the rec2020 HDR colour gamut they may be, but right now they aren't scoring any better in colour tests than TVs with 8bit or 8bit + FRC panels. The only thing that's important with HDR on a TV is its ability to receive a 10 bit signal.

About the 4:4:4 60hz @ UHD. rtings.com have two tests, the first is with 8bit, HDR and UHD at 60hz and the first is just 8bit without HDR. It's not possible to send 10bit 4:4:4 above a 30hz refresh rate as its a HDMI bandwidth limitation. - Another reason why now 10bit displays are largely irrelevant.

Input lag
Currently, I'm using a 7ms 30" 1600p monitor, so would want to get a reasonable input of 15-25ms.
Do you have the specs for your monitor? Usually the ms figure quoted (often on the corner of the monitor) relates to response time, not input lag. Its often the case that people get mixed up between the two:

Response time is how fast the display can change each pixel from one colour or shade to the next. More response time=more blur and judder.

Input lag is how fast you notice on the display that you have pressed a button/input.

Gamers are often concerned about input lag when moving from a monitor to a TV but today's TVs don't have problems with high input lag like they once did, as long as you use game mode of course.

Something to perhaps be more concerned about is response time of Tvs, which in general is a lot greater than a monitor, it does depend though. This can lead to TVs having more motion blur and be more juddery when playing games compared to a monitor, however again whilst many TVs are not up to the same fast response time standards as gaming monitors, its not something that prevents a lot of people using a TV for gaming at all.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a model that has the best HDR within your budget and that's the 55XE9005. If you wanted instead to opt for size over HDR quality, you could also find a model like the Hisense 65NU8700 which is incredible value right now at £1099 (same price as the Sony) but of course it's HDR won't be as impressive as the Sony.

Or check out the new fald suhd from LG.
There is an article on the front page :)

In the grand scheme of HDR, bit depth isn't really that important at all, some higher bit depth displays are able to display an image with less gradients but there are also 8bit panels that do this well too. In terms of colour coverage or saturation TVs are not yet at the level where its beneficial to have a native 10 bit display. No doubt as time goes on and we get closer to covering 100% of the rec2020 HDR colour gamut they may be, but right now they aren't scoring any better in colour tests than TVs with 8bit or 8bit + FRC panels. The only thing that's important with HDR on a TV is its ability to receive a 10 bit signal.

About the 4:4:4 60hz @ UHD. rtings.com have two tests, the first is with 8bit, HDR and UHD at 60hz and the first is just 8bit without HDR. It's not possible to send 10bit 4:4:4 above a 30hz refresh rate as its a HDMI bandwidth limitation. - Another reason why now 10bit displays are largely irrelevant.

Do you have the specs for your monitor? Usually the ms figure quoted (often on the corner of the monitor) relates to response time, not input lag. Its often the case that people get mixed up between the two:

Response time is how fast the display can change each pixel from one colour or shade to the next. More response time=more blur and judder.

Input lag is how fast you notice on the display that you have pressed a button/input.

Gamers are often concerned about input lag when moving from a monitor to a TV but today's TVs don't have problems with high input lag like they once did, as long as you use game mode of course.

Something to perhaps be more concerned about is response time of Tvs, which in general is a lot greater than a monitor, it does depend though. This can lead to TVs having more motion blur and be more juddery when playing games compared to a monitor, however again whilst many TVs are not up to the same fast response time standards as gaming monitors, its not something that prevents a lot of people using a TV for gaming at all.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a model that has the best HDR within your budget and that's the 55XE9005. If you wanted instead to opt for size over HDR quality, you could also find a model like the Hisense 65NU8700 which is incredible value right now at £1099 (same price as the Sony) but of course it's HDR won't be as impressive as the Sony.

Ah! the 7ms stated is for the g2g Response Time! I would consider the XE900, although the Input Lag is higher than most currently. I primarily play first person shooter and real-time strategy games, so thinking if that rate of lag would impact much.

I would consider the XE900, although the Input Lag is higher than most currently. I primarily play first person shooter and real-time strategy games, so thinking if that rate of lag would impact much.
Not many people will feel that kind of input lag, generally anything beneath 50-60ms is fine. Many older TVs have input lag in the 100s and people didn't notice it.

It's really not something to be concerned about unless you know you are someone who is very sensitive to it (for example you bought a TV before with this amount of input lag and noticed it).

I wouldn't personally count on the new LG LCDs to be that great, they are still using IPS panels and they will be selling for far more than they are worth to begin with anyway.

Not many people will feel that kind of input lag, generally anything beneath 50-60ms is fine. Many older TVs have input lag in the 100s and people didn't notice it.

It's really not something to be concerned about unless you know you are someone who is very sensitive to it (for example you bought a TV before with this amount of input lag and noticed it).

I wouldn't personally count on the new LG LCDs to be that great, they are still using IPS panels and they will be selling for far more than they are worth to begin with anyway.

Appreciate the help Dodge, I'm going to take a look at the Sony in Richer Sounds today.

That's what you get from IPS in general, more DSE and Banding issues, and IPS / PLS Glow.

Like me mate!

Agreed.

LG in general are overpriced for what they are, all IPS, most lower to mid end are RGBW, so not really '4k' , even rtings.com classes this in their reviews, forget WebOS, on the lower end it's just as bad as Android, slow and sluggish due to the processors involved.

As an update, went with the Samsung 55MU7000, as its only really going to be used for general tv viewing I think its great. Set it on movie, warm 2, back light at 6 and all the processing off and the picture looks brilliant.

Let us know if you notice any of the nasty problems that you are likely to see with LG TV's........ as per above posters.......:rotfl:
I personally think you made a bit of a mistake not waiting to see this year's sets can do but the cash was in your hand.

I picked up the Sony XE900 yesterday, spent a good amount of time calibrating it and the picture is fantastic.

I don't mind picking up last year's model, as it was quite cheap.

Input lag is a non issue with this TV, have played third/first person shooters and RTS, all inputs feel pretty much instantaneous.

Only gripe I have is whenever I change media e.g. Play a game, then switch to YouTube, switch to Chrome (all done on PC), the source overhead appears displaying the HDMI input and resolution.

I picked up the Sony XE900 yesterday, spent a good amount of time calibrating it and the picture is fantastic.

I don't mind picking up last year's model, as it was quite cheap.

Input lag is a non issue with this TV, have played third/first person shooters and RTS, all inputs feel pretty much instantaneous.

Only gripe I have is whenever I change media e.g. Play a game, then switch to YouTube, switch to Chrome (all done on PC), the source overhead appears displaying the HDMI input and resolution.

Could you possibly tell me where you picked up your Sony and how much you paid? Thanks

Nvidia GPU? i had this problem, would flash up everytime opened new web page or window was quite annoying.

Go into nvidia control panel/adjust desktop size and position, and ensure scaling option is set to full screen. Fixed it for me :smashin:

Nvidia GPU? i had this problem, would flash up everytime opened new web page or window was quite annoying.

Go into nvidia control panel/adjust desktop size and position, and ensure scaling option is set to full screen. Fixed it for me :smashin:

Great suggestion, will apply those changes you mentioned.

A quick workaround I did was disabling the info panel for the source, this can be done by:
Home>Settings>Channel Setup>Toggle 'Info Banner' off.

Great suggestion, will apply those changes you mentioned.

A quick workaround I did was disabling the info panel for the source, this can be done by:
Home>Settings>Channel Setup>Toggle 'Info Banner' off.
Yes but is still handy for changing inputs or knowing info on games when change settings (often run at different res) think default may be set to aspect ratio or mine was set there anyway. And must flag up changes often and the tv picks up on them.
Fullscreen setting stopped it for me anyway.

Yes but is still handy for changing inputs or knowing info on games when change settings (often run at different res) think default may be set to aspect ratio or mine was set there anyway. And must flag up changes often and the tv picks up on them.
Fullscreen setting stopped it for me anyway.

Quick question - have you noticed any delay with audio? For example, if I open a YouTube video, there's a 1-2s delay on the audio being outputted. Could be that I'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI 2 adapter.

Quick question - have you noticed any delay with audio? For example, if I open a YouTube video, there's a 1-2s delay on the audio being outputted. Could be that I'm using a DisplayPort to HDMI 2 adapter.
Not got the same tv as you i just knew settings etc would be similar and i did run display port-hdmi for a week or so (untill it stopped displaying at 60hz and sent adaptor back) but no didn't have that issue with sound on DP or hdmi.
Pc with hdmi now into hdmi 3 and oculus rift dvi-hdmi.

Hi! I can't give too much technical data, but this is my experience.
I have on the living room an LG 55OLEDB6 flat, and I'm really happy.
However my wife uses the tv a lot for normal TV, I made a special room for me, and I've been doubting between Samsung Q7F 49 inch and Sony 49XE9005, because for this room , is the size that fits.
I went to a commercial mall, and I tried the sony with the hobbit 3 into a pendrive, and the picture quality was not according to the price.
I decided to go for a QLED, and actually, I'm more than happy with the samsung. All of my friends came to see my new room ( with a Denon Home Cinema Atmos, a sony bluray 4k hdr...), and all of them prefers the samsung image (I have exactly the same bluray on the livinf room, so, I can compare both with the same source) . My opinion? Can't say which one I prefer. The OLED has better blacks, but in general, image quality in QLED is better, and the blacks are the best I've seen, with the exeption of OLED, of course. And the brightness is astonishing.
I have a PS$ connected to the QLED, and is fantastic. I can't notice any lag.
I hope my opinion can help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom