Best 4k player for Sony A1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gary5, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello. Looking for advise on what 4k player is best to suit my Sony 65A1 oled TV. I have a Sony STRDN1080 amp to so I'd like to get a Sony player to. Are the Sony players good?

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +725
    My experience with Sony blu-ray players are that the image is usually very good although the sound can be below standard compared to others popular brands.

As for ease of usage though, as everything you own is a Sony, This would simplify your system no end as you could use the TV remote to take control of everything.

If sound is more important than the visual's then look towards Panasonic or Oppo depending upon your budget otherwise purchase the best Sony 4K player you can afford

3. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    If you want cheap, then the Sony X700.
    Has Dolby Vision (and can apply this to HDR10 UHDs and SDr blu-rays as well as DV UHDs). Good picture albeit with a small size case and light build but does the job well at a budget or bargain price (Was £139 recently on Amazon Prime day).

4. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Budget can be upto 250 to 300 max. Shane when you say sound isn't as good on Sony than the other brands how better are the others? The x700 seems OK id like DV yes what's the difference between x700 and X800

5. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    X700 DV (cheap, somewhat flimsy build) , X800 no DV (more expensive, and much more solid build).
    I find no difference in sound between any UHD players. It's a digital signal being bitstreamed to the receiver which does the work to decode and then output.

6. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers doug. The x700 looks favourite then ...

7. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    With a Sony Oled TV you need a player which can do low latency/player led DV if you want DV.
    (as a bonus that can also process HDR10 UHDs and SDR blu-rays as DV if you want)

So far that is the Sony X700 and the Oppo 203. LG players don't so far, and currently there is no info on whether Panasonic will (as they have yet to release DV firmware on their UB820).

Only downside with the X700 is DV ON setting stops 3D blu-rays from being able to be played. But as your Sony A1 doesn't do 3D anyway that won't be an issue...

8. Gary5

Gary5
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you

9. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +725
    I've always found them to be lacking in depth. I'd say the Panasonic's as an example will deliver around 10 to 15 percent more depth of audio, but they will loose around 5% in visual quality compared to the Sony.

10. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Just bought one of these to go with my new C7. For the price it's not a bad player at all. As others have said, it's a bit "flimsy" in it's build quality compared to others, but it's quiet in operation, and much "nippier" than my old Samsung was in loading and input response. It's a :thumbsup: from me.

11. Racy Jace

Racy Jace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have an LG C8 and I'm thinking of getting a 4k player too. My amp is the Yamaha avr 3050 so I'd like great sound and great picture. The oppo 203 seems expensive but does the picture and sound warrant the extra money?

If not then I'm guessing it's either the Sony x700 or something else that has Dolby Vision?