Best 4k player for my new LG cx 55? x700b vs x800m2 vs ub820

mac74

Hello all, i would like to get a 4k blu ray player for my new LG CX 55" . But i NEED to order from curry's as i have a voucher to use up. So far below is what ive found.........

Sony ubp-x700b @ £199 (in stock) (but ive read on the net, picture freeze issues on 3 layer discs?)
Sony ubp-x800m2 @ £299 (in stock)
Panasonic ub820 @ £299 (out of stock, back in on17th)

All above support dolby vision

Thanks m

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Hello all, i would like to get a 4k blu ray player for my new LG CX 55" . But i NEED to order from curry's as i have a voucher to use up. So far below is what ive found.........

Sony ubp-x700b @ £199 (in stock) (but ive read on the net, picture freeze issues on 3 layer discs?)
Sony ubp-x800m2 @ £299 (in stock)
Panasonic ub820 @ £299 (out of stock, back in on17th)

All above support dolby vision

Thanks m
I've got all 3 players. I've had no problems with my X700. Seems a bit luck of the draw whether you get a good one or a bad un. So if getting that make sure to play as many triple layer discs as you can within the return period.

Out of X800M2 or UB820 at the same price I'd go for UB820. Much better picture adjustment options.

mac74

Thanks 4 that info, the ub820 has a tone mapping feature, but i think the cx tv has this? So do you think the x700 is as good as the 820 on picture quality? If so how do i know if a film is a 3 layer
one when buying? Thanks m

/

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Looking at that movie web link ive noticed the 4k movies come with another 2k disc, why is this? And most films score higher on the 2k content?
Extras are often usually on the 2K to leave more space on the 4K to allow lower compression to be used.
2K disc lets those who haven't yet gone 4K buy and watch the movie now and not have to buy the 4K subsequently down the line. Same as 2K used to come with a DVD for similar reasons.

2K score and 4K score are not on an equivalent scoring basis.
2K score would be about how good a 2K it is, 4K score is about how good a 4K it is.

mac74

Extras are often usually on the 2K to leave more space on the 4K to allow lower compression to be used.
2K disc lets those who haven't yet gone 4K buy and watch the movie now and not have to buy the 4K subsequently down the line. Same as 2K used to come with a DVD for similar reasons.

2K score and 4K score are not on an equivalent scoring basis.
2K score would be about how good a 2K it is, 4K score is about how good a 4K it is.
2k? is this meaning a standard 1080p blu ray? Ive never heard of 2k tv........

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
2k? is this meaning a standard 1080p blu ray? Ive never heard of 2k tv........
1080P is 2K.
Picture width: 1920 pixels (round up to 2,000 so 2K) vs 4K: 3840 pixels (round up to 4,000 so 4K)
4K rolls off the tongue easier than 3.84K....

I didn't mention 2K before you did. Blu-ray.com reviews 4K and 1080p so you must have heard of it before when you asked 'the 4k movies come with another 2k disc'.

mac74

1080P is 2K.
Picture width: 1920 pixels (round up to 2,000 so 2K) vs 4K: 3840 pixels (round up to 4,000 so 4K)
4K rolls off the tongue easier than 3.84K....

I didn't mention 2K before you did. Blu-ray.com reviews 4K and 1080p so you must have heard of it before when you asked 'the 4k movies come with another 2k disc'.
Oh i see, i always thought standard blu ray 1080p was classed as 1k. Thanks m

Atlasmk2

I faced a similar decision and opted for the ub820 over the Sony as I was put off at the prospect of having to manually switch it over to Dolby Vision.

Happy with my choice so far. I find the HDR optimiser to be quite handy. I'm not sure whether it's an improvement over letting the TV optimise things but it allows you to bump up the brightness (at the expense of a little contrast) which is great when I'm watching DV during the day.

I find HDR and DV generally quite dark which is fine in the evenings. My lounge is quite bright during the day which makes it quite difficult watching HDR or DV sometimes.

There are also plenty of setting to fiddle with if that's your thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom