Question Best 4k HDR media player.

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Doctor Smith, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Can anyone recommend a streamer/media player?
    Will require it to play most formats but mainly 4k HDR.

Looking to spend around £150.

Thanks

2. Bendorama

Bendorama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Hi there. I don't know of the selection is to great to be honest, but the first that comes in to my mind would be the Nvidia shield which had HDR support since the summer for media playback and streaming.

What is HDR: The SHIELD Team Has You Covered | SHIELD Blog

Than again you have the chromecast ultra, but not sure if this is only for streaming services.

Playstation 4 is supposed to get a HDR update later on, again could be for only streaming.

But check out the shield and see if it offer what you want, I heard some good things about it.

3. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,939
    Happy with my Himedia Q5 pro

4. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Nvidia Shield

5. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Nvidia is out of stock everywhere.

6. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Does it play nearly all formats?

7. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,939
    Yep, does have an issue with 3D iso's though that should be sorted with an update. I don't run 3d anything so does not affect me

8. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    More to pont question is why is Nvidia out of stock, could a new product be coming?

There are dirt cheap 4k players the real question is which support the services you want and what digital rights management. I can download a 4k video and play on £30 Android box but it will not support Widevine L1 so no Netflix 4k etc

9. RansomNL

RansomNL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, expected is that at CES in january Nvidia will announce a new Shield source

10. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I have a Advent Tegra Note and wished Nvidia would do a 4k TV box based on it with a newer gpu, at £75 mark ,for years, sadly they won't. It is older tech but still fast today, Come on Nvidia shake the lower sub £75 TV box market up!

TOP FEATURES

• NVIDIA® Tegra® 4 - up to 1.8 GHz
      quad+1 Cortex A15 Processor
    • 72-core NVIDIA GeForce® GPU
    • NVIDIA DirectStylus™
    • 7” HD IPS LCD with LED backlight
      (1280x800) display
    • Front facing Stereo speakers with
      NVIDIA PureAudio™ technology
    • HDR camera
    Even Nexflix support the tablet.

11. Gadget Junkie

Gadget Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  12. Evokazz

Evokazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I returned my Dune Solo and rebought my WDTV Live, everything 4K on the market right now sucks, I have tried almost all of them, nothing compares to the WDTV for now. The prospect of a 4K streamer was great, but they all have huge issues. I'll revisit in 2017-2018 and see if anythings improved.

13. Bendorama

Bendorama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    WD tv live?
    I hope they have made a new version, got my self one couple of years ago, biggest piece of garbage I have ever used my money on, I don't even know how this was legal to sell. Never tried anything slower with more crashes than this, almost lost my hair because of the frustration from this device.

Terrible apps, terrible slow system and navigation, impossible to write search after anything unless you have 30 min to wait for the response.

I still have it in my closet hidden away as I do not dare to sell it since I do not wish anyone that much harm.

And yes I used it for many months, primarily for Netflix and network drive from pc, but it was still a terrible experience and most of the time I needed to plug out the power as it froze or got stuck just because I was browsing for something to watch.

Edit : no it was not a faulty device, gave my parents a newer model that was not the live version, still a unusable incredible slow crashing device like my live. I gave it to them as it had a dedicated Netflix app and button on the remote, but they could hardly use it as it was just so incredible slow and unstable.

Google Chrome is beyond this world in comparison and they can finally enjoy instantly streaming without any hassle at all.

14. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,022
    @Bendorama

There is some truth in what you say about the WDTV. It has had its problems but a major firmware update earlier this year did some real good and I used one for two straight months recently in my main AV setup without issue. Still have it in my bedroom but it is so slow to boot and last generation file support for those interested in that sort of thing.

15. Evokazz

Evokazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I find the WDTV on fast boot extremely fast using a media server. I had audio sync issues towards the end but my new amp will sort that with delay settings. If its still an issue. I used a WDTV for 4 years with no issues at all, and I bought every gen that was released.

16. Bendorama

Bendorama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Only logical explanation I can come up with is that WD is a completely different company in my country as I have never felt any great speed at all, only slow sluggish crash filled use. Yes most of the time I actually managed to watch the content I was planing to do, but at an extremely slow pace.

There was a good reasons why I switched to using a HDMI from the pc to the TV as this was a superior way in all aspects expect noise and power consumption.

My self I am pretty picky about reaction, speed and stability of my tech products, but my parents on the other hand not so much but even they got very bothered by the complete lack of responsiveness and ability from the WD media box to preform even the most simply tasks at a reasonable pace and performance.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  17. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I have used several different WDTV boxes & found that they are simple straightforward & reliable. The WDTV Live does take an annoyingly long time to boot up but as power consumption is so low it's designed to be on all the time so boot time is moot. I have never seen a crash & the WDTVs have played without a problem all the video formats that I have tried. The interface is crude & basic but once the movie is playing who cares? There are better boxes around but the WDTVs do the job without frills.
    I used a Boxee Box for many years & was very disappointed that support & development ceased. It took a long time to find a suitable replacement but the Amazon Fire TV 4K & the Roku 3 each in different ways improve on the Boxee Box.

18. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,022
    In fairness the WDTV has let down a lot of people in the past and many resorted to rolling back firmware to keep it functional. I still do alright with mine on the very latest firmware but one indisputable fact is that it is not a 4K HDR media player as the OP requested. Definitely one that your grandma used :D