Question Best 4K Gaming TV under 1000?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by rjenks89, Dec 7, 2016.

1. rjenks89

rjenks89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I've basically been going insane trying to decide what TV to buy and if anyone could lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to buy a 4K TV, mainly for gaming (PS4 Pro, online FPS, sports games, RPGs, etc.) and watching Netflix and Sports in Ultra HD.
    Must haves include: 4K, bigger than 49", low lag for gaming, must be less than 1000 pounds.
    Things I don't care about: sound quality, 3D, curved, stand design as it will be mounted on the wall.
    As I'm over in Italy, choices are a little bit more restricted, but I've narrowed it down to three:

Samsung 55" UE55KU6400 at 699.99
    Samsung 49" UE49KS7000U at 959.00
    Sony 55" KD55XD8005B at 999.99

Ideally, I'd like at least a 55" but very undecided if the quality of the 49" Samsung is worth it considering the jump in price. (Is the KS series that much better than the KU series?)
    Same, with the Sony; is the quality good enough to justify the significant price difference, particularly because the Samsungs only offer 60hz. (And should the refresh rate even matter, 60hz or 120hz?)

If you can give me any idea which would be best, or have any other left-field suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

2. asciiuk

asciiuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hello!

I know this doesn't help now but the 55" KS7000 at £979 during Black Friday weekend and cyber Monday would have been one of the most lucrative deals around, available in the U.K. At least anyway.

4K/HDR on a 49", depending on viewing environment, in that instance is probably go for a slighter lower end bigger set.

There would be quite a bit of difference in PQ/HDR between at least the Samsung sets you have picked out. The KS series is that much better than the KU series yes (HDR premium and BFI tech alone). However I would say once you get to the KS7000 the additional cost for the ranges above that i.e. KS8000 etc start diminishing returns in terms of overall PQ.

Ok sorry, just re-read your post as I was tired from getting in from London just now... for your use cases I would definitely recommend the KS7000 as long as the size still works or as I said above you can get the 55" in a deal soon.

As far as I am aware the 120hz panel made it into the 7000 series, and Samsung's implementation of its Black Frame Insertion tech allow for some the sharpest motion clarity within the market - even compared to flagship, motion optimised sets. They are generally regarded as one of the leaders in motion clarity for LED LCD displays.

The 120hz only really matters for PC use, but with a higher native panel refresh it can help with processing of 60hz signals accordingly. It depends on the intended use but it is more than likely not a must have, some top end sets still don't have them or only allow for 1080p @ 120hz and not 4K for example as well.

For me I'd get the KS7000 everyday of the week but only if I could make that size work or perhaps wait for an xmas/Boxing Day/new year deal hoping they slam the price of them again to shift the last batches before the run up to new TV's being announced at IFA etc.

Check out the KS7000 reviews on the internet, see AVForums own review, HDTVTEST, rtings, whathifi, trusted reviews etc to name a few and you will be able to cross compare and see just how coveted that particular set is for the price point. They should give you an idea of where it outperforms the others exactly and you can determine if the extra money is worth it to you. That or see if there is a major electrical store there where you could almost draw side by side comparison in person (obviously though the sets might not have even been simply adjusted or over adjusted for bright showroom floors/the quality of the content they feed it isn't really representative (not feeding them 4k/HDR content, compressed content or some form of a shared signal).

I'll check out how the prices have shifted again after the sales now and see what I can as well. I notice I'm rambling on now and should go to bed, good night, good luck in your search and speak soon :)

3. rjenks89

rjenks89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for your post! It had all the detail and information I was looking for.

I think you've swung me over to the KS7000. I've found a deal for 1299 (euros not pounds) but it includes a free Samsung Galaxy S7. What with being in the market for an upgrade anyway, it might convince me. The reviews are all pretty good for the KS7000, and the motion blur on the KU6400 is really a killer (for some people).

I was hoping to get something before Christmas ideally, but perhaps I'd get a better offer in the sales, (if they even get put on offer!). But I guess that's the risk.

I assume they'd probably announce their new lines in early January?

Thank again for your great reply!

4. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    +1 for KS7000

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  5. asciiuk

asciiuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Sounds like a plan to me :) I don't think you would be disappointed with it that is for sure. Seems like a pretty good deal as you say especially with the tablet thrown in as even if you didn't have a use for it you could still make money back on it.

That is the tough choice with these big purchases...timing! Expect to here about the new sets due in 2017 at CES which most events for tv manufacturers will start around January 4th I believe. Starting with Panasonic, LG, Hisense, Samsung etc. Expect a lot of talk on improvements to HDR through a phase 2, HLG tech, Ultra-D glasses free 3D tech as well. I wouldn't hold your breath on a Samsung OLED panel yet though, they will continue with QLED as an alternative for now I'm sure. Those sets then tend to go on sale within the next couple of months.