Best 4k Blu-ray player?

Heisenbergg

Standard Member
Hi, what 4k blu ray player would you say is the best for picture quality mainly?. My max budget is £250-£350 so i want a quality device.

I heard some people say:

Panasonic DP-UB820EB

and

SONY UBP-X800M2

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi, what 4k blu ray player would you say is the best for picture quality mainly?. My max budget is £250-£350 so i want a quality device.

I heard some people say:

Panasonic DP-UB820EB

and

SONY UBP-X800M2
May depend on your TV. What is it?
Both have good picture quality but the UB820 has features which are better for older model TVs.

Heisenbergg

Standard Member
Both have good picture quality but the UB820 has features which are better for older model TVs.

I'm thinking about getting the Sony A9S 48 inch due to the better motion handling and picture quality but i also like the LG C1 48 inch.

Once i buy one then i can also buy the blu ray player.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I'm thinking about getting the Sony A9S 48 inch due to the better motion handling and picture quality but i also like the LG C1 48 inch.

Once i buy one then i can also buy the blu ray player.
In that case both would be equally good. One thing to bear in mind is that the X800M2 has a manual toggle switch setting between Dolby Vision and HDR10 UHDs. The UB820 auto switches between the two formats. The UB820 has a better reputation with regards to not freezing and sticking on disc playback than the X800M2 although I never had any problems with my X800M2.

thearrowmaker

These are also the two players I'm currently looking at. I popped into the local Sony Centre last weekend and took a look at the X800M2. I really liked the look of this machine. It's definitely well built and at £265 a bit cheaper (the Panny doesn't seem to drop below £299).

The lack of auto switching between Dolby Vision and HDR10, although slightly annoying, isn't, that big of an issue, at least IMHO. What is a concern is the numerous accounts of disc sticking issues on the Sony which the UB820 seems to be free of.

But as two2midnight pointed out some don't have any issues with the Sony. I'm really on the fence regarding the choice between these two players. Until I can make my mind up I'll just stick with my Series X.

My current tv is the LG C1 which I picked up about a week ago.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
These are also the two players I'm currently looking at. I popped into the local Sony Centre last weekend and took a look at the X800M2. I really liked the look of this machine. It's definitely well built and at £265 a bit cheaper (the Panny doesn't seem to drop below £299).

The lack of auto switching between Dolby Vision and HDR10, although slightly annoying, isn't, that big of an issue, at least IMHO. What is a concern is the numerous accounts of disc sticking issues on the Sony which the UB820 seems to be free of.

But as two2midnight pointed out some don't have any issues with the Sony. I'm really on the fence regarding the choice between these two players. Until I can make my mind up I'll just stick with my Series X.

My current tv is the LG C1 which I picked up about a week ago.
If you want the X800M2, buy one somewhere with a good 30 day returns policy and spend 30 days intensively playing UHDs. You'll soon know if you've got a good one or not....;)

GreyMutton

If it helps any I just bought an 820 from CeX. Price was £240 but bought some CeX vouchers in the classifieds so actually only paying £220. Yes it's used but they give a 24 month warranty.

I'd previously bought an X700 but cancelled that order after seeing the freezing/sticking reports. Also the manual DV switching out me off but not a major issue.

At auction on eBay the 820 is still selling for easily £240 or more so I'm hoping it's a decent deal (just waiting on delivery)

Bizantium

Novice Member
I vote for Sony since Sony is #1 for Compatibility (Sony can play almost any disc but SVCD and some discs, meanwhile Panasonic is in a love/hate relationship with disc compatibility)

TobyAV

Standard Member
I got the UB820 a couple weeks ago, and superb quality.

I have a relatively old Panasonic TV, so the UB820 has Vierra link, which ensures mutual control over HDMI using the other device’s remote, and the UB820 has a feature that makes appropriate adjustments for the HDR blu-rays for TVs like mine which do not support HDR. That that point may be what @two2midnight is referring to above with “UB820 has features which are better for older model TVs.”

There are stock issues with the UB820 though. See Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player Review & Comments
I.e. there is currently stock on Amazon but it looks like almost no-where else. John Lewis had the one or two in stock in physical stores when I was looking a couple weeks back

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
820 also has easy dvd region mod which I've used myself

Anderslober

Standard Member
I know its a bit off your budget, but man, is it a weapon! I sold my 4 other (dinky) uhd players and bought the ub9000. I just got it today and starting testing. Totally worth the extra tosh!
Pride of ownership is very high. Amazing build quality inside and out!
Otherwise the ub820 is awesome!

B65165C9-18DC-4445-A23A-9BEDB90FD07F.jpeg

N1ck

If you want the X800M2, buy one somewhere with a good 30 day returns policy and spend 30 days intensively playing UHDs. You'll soon know if you've got a good one or not....;)
...what is this disc sticking issue? I have just bought a X800m2 and wasn’t aware of such a problem.

KBD

I'm enjoying my Sony X700, but it's 3.84K (3,840 x 2,160).

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
...what is this disc sticking issue? I have just bought a X800m2 and wasn’t aware of such a problem.
Some people with X700, X800 and X800M2 have players which are prone to freezing or stuttering on layer changes especially from 2nd to 3rd with BD100 triple layer UHDs.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom