Palexr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, returning noob here. I've got a CAPEX signed off by the boss on a new TV (in exchange for fitted wardrobes, water-softner and handbag - I need new negotiating skills too I think).

There is just one criteria, it has to fit a 110cm alcove. This restricts the choice to a 49" right? The room is somewhat bright, but most viewing is done in the evening. The content is mostly movies and run of the mill TV. I do have PS4pro, Netflix and Prime so 4k capabilities are important.

At a very long push I might be able to go for a larger size, the TV can be positioned at a slight angle in the alcove. However it would really, really, really have to be clearly superior to the best 49" available.

Is it worth waiting for something that is in the pipeline somewhere?

Any and all words of wisdom gratefully received.

Last edited:
Cheers, the PS4 is least important bit.
It looks like the Sony XG9005 is the one to go for from most of the posts here. There don't seem to be many reviews around...

Cheers, the PS4 is least important bit.
It looks like the Sony XG9005 is the one to go for from most of the posts here. There don't seem to be many reviews around...

Very little demand for reviews of sub 55” sets. You can look at XF9005 reviews, the XG is an updated XF series tv.

I'm coming to that conclusion. I wonder if manufacturers are amissing a trick there?

Are there any 50" that have particularly small bezels and are worth considering (in the context oif my size restrictions)?

50” sets will be poorer than the XG already mentioned. An alternative would be the Samsung Q70, but motion will be poorer.

Keep an eye on the XG9005 come Black Friday and snap it up if you get a discount. Failing that go for the Samsung Q70R.

There are no other TVs at this size that are capable with HDR.

The next best would be the Panasonic GX800 available at 50 and 58 inches but its HDR reproduction whilst not problematic with dynamic meta data, will cause problems in titles that do not have dynamic HDR yet like computer games.

TCL 49S517 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) If you like your money. Its not heavy on the pocket ($300)
Sadly TCL make different TVs in Europe. I assume OP is from UK or EU.

50” sets will be poorer than the XG already mentioned. An alternative would be the Samsung Q70, but motion will be poorer.
How much poorer if you don't plan to use motion control settings? Isn't most content 60hz anyway?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom