Question Best 49" TV around 1k

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by brillantsilas, Jul 25, 2017.

1. brillantsilas

brillantsilas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having just sent back a faulty Sony WD653 I need a quick replacement.

It will be wall mounted in my bedroom. It's doesn't need wide viewing angles but I would like 4k for future proofing, low input lag for gaming, good contrast for low lighting and I use it most of time as a PC monitor and watch everything from 1080p films to ancient tv shows. 50" is about as big as will fit in the space.

I am utterly bewildered at all the jargon and choices available.

I was looking at the Sony 49XE8004 on Amazon out of laziness and brand loyalty but the reviews don't seem too hot.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Best value would be trying to find a Panasonic DX750.

If you can't then go for the slower panelled DX700.

They are 2016 models so if you do find one there's a chance it will be a refurb or ex display. Check clearances at stores like richer sounds and keep an eye on Panasonic's eBay refurb store.

Or look at the Hisense m5500.

Don't get 2017 models if you can help it, the extra cost right now isn't justified. The Hisense n6800 may be the only exception to this rule if you can find one similar in price to a Panasonic dx700 or Hisense m5500.

Sony models all use inferior contrast panels until you hit the XE90 range and those are overpriced now.

Consider avoiding UHD if you care for the quality of SD material, most people find it looks terrible upscaled to UHD compared to FHD. There's no such thing as future proofing with tv's. Something like a Samsung K5500 will at least get you a good panel.

Or go second hand for a FHD tv like Samsung h6400/j6300 or Sony w805b.

3. brillantsilas

brillantsilas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thank you very much for your advice. The DX750 refurbs on ebay are a good price but there are none in stock at the moment from the panasonic store.

Is this the model that you're referring to: Panasonic 50DX750B 50 inch 4K Pro Ultra HD HDR 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD and Art of Interior Tailored Switch Design | very.co.uk

The above link would work out almost exactly the same price as the Sony 49XE8004. Would you say that the Panasonic would be a much better option?

Also, do you know where I would find the VESA mounting measurements please? It will have to fit my existing bracket.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344