Best 49-55" budget TV for bedroom (gaming and streaming)

John846

Novice Member
Hi

I am looking to buy a TV for my bedroom during black Friday. Will be used for gaming through PS4 and streaming through now tv, netflix etc. Any size from 49" to 55" is fine. Previously used a tiny 19" so this will be a long overdue upgrade. I was initially considering 43" but I have the space for a bigger one so I thought I may as well, is there any significant difference from 43" to 50" in terms of specs? The viewing distance will be about 1.5m and I will be facing it straight on. Usage will be 50% gaming 25% sport 25% movies and tv shows. Will mostly be viewed in the dark. Budget is around £500. Done plenty of research and reading through forums and seen that it is best to go under £400 unless I pay big bucks for the £800+ TVs which I can't afford or justify at the moment. After researching for a few weeks I have narrowed it down to the Hisense 6100 or 6200 in 50" (whichever I find cheaper). I would really just like reassurance to know that this is the best decision. It costs £329 from Richer Sounds with 6 year warranty. Is this the best TV to go for or should I pay £100/£200 more and get something else?
Other TVs I have considered:
Hisense U7A
Samsung NU7400
Samsung NU8000
Philips PUS6523
Philips PUS6753
LG UK6300

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@Dodgexander
@Ninja Wolfman

Last edited:

Analysis

Banned
Hi

I am looking to buy a TV for my bedroom during black Friday. Will be used for gaming through PS4 and streaming through now tv, netflix etc. Any size from 49" to 55" is fine. Previously used a tiny 19" so this will be a long overdue upgrade. I was initially considering 43" but I have the space for a bigger one so I thought I may as well, is there any significant difference from 43" to 50" in terms of specs? The viewing distance will be about 1.5m and I will be facing it straight on. Usage will be 50% gaming 25% sport 25% movies and tv shows. Will mostly be viewed in the dark. Budget is around £500. Done plenty of research and reading through forums and seen that it is best to go under £400 unless I pay big bucks for the £800+ TVs which I can't afford or justify at the moment. After researching for a few weeks I have narrowed it down to the Hisense 6100 or 6200 in 50" (whichever I find cheaper). I would really just like reassurance to know that this is the best decision. It costs £329 from Richer Sounds with 6 year warranty. Is this the best TV to go for or should I pay £100/£200 more and get something else?
Hisense U7A
Samsung NU7400
Samsung NU8000
Philips PUS6523
Philips PUS6753
LG UK6300

@Dodgexander
@Ninja Wolfman

I'd pay the extra and go for the 55" U7A from Hisense to be honest, that's the best option and is pretty good value for the price. 1.5m is about right for a 55" to tell the difference from FHD to UHD.

You might also find 50" too small.

If you have such a long warranty then there's nothing to worry about the others mentioned.

Stay clear of the LG.

Angelo M

Hi

Hisense U7A
Samsung NU7400
Samsung NU8000
Philips PUS6523
Philips PUS6753
LG UK6300

@Dodgexander
@Ninja Wolfman

The Hisense 50A6200 seems to be a very good choice for the price. :)

Hisense A6200 (H50A6200UK) Review

Foster1984

I'll give a vote for the Samsung 55NU8000, though would mean you need to up your budget above £400.

Guaranteed VA panel at 55", input lag is minimal for gaming, good motion options for smoothing out fast sports and reducing pulldown judder on movies and TV shows.

Tweaking the picture settings produces a really good image to my eyes too, though I'm not that impressed by it's HDR yet; but I've not spent that much time with HDR sources yet either and In know the TV doesn't really have the brightness to take full advantage of HDR either.

Dodgexander

I would recommend the Hisense A series at 55". The AE6100 Black Friday special is priced so well.

Failing that the next best value is the U7A, which at 55" is actually more of a step up compared to 50".

What do you get with the U7A compared? Well 1 extra HDMI port, a better wifi adaptor built in, a 120hz panel (55+ only) and a wide colour gamut, the last one is only really beneficial with HDR.

John846

Novice Member
Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it! Several different schools of thought, its pretty much a shoot out between the hisense options for me.

I'd pay the extra and go for the 55" U7A from Hisense to be honest, that's the best option and is pretty good value for the price. 1.5m is about right for a 55" to tell the difference from FHD to UHD.

You might also find 50" too small.

If you have such a long warranty then there's nothing to worry about the others mentioned.

Stay clear of the LG.

I would recommend the Hisense A series at 55". The AE6100 Black Friday special is priced so well.

Failing that the next best value is the U7A, which at 55" is actually more of a step up compared to 50".

What do you get with the U7A compared? Well 1 extra HDMI port, a better wifi adaptor built in, a 120hz panel (55+ only) and a wide colour gamut, the last one is only really beneficial with HDR.

So do youse believe that paying an extra £150 for the U7A instead of the 6100/6200 is worth it? One thing that is swaying me towards the U7A is the built in bluetooth.

@Ninja Wolfman Why do you think I'd find a 50" too small? Should I consider a 65"?

@Dodgexander How is the 55" more of a step up? Sorry if I am sounding dumb! Just want to make sure I make the right decision

Once again, any feedback is highly appreciated

Analysis

Banned
If you can fit a 65" then go for the A6100 otherwise at 55" the U7A as Dodge has suggested.

If you can go bigger then do it.

I've had a 55" for nearly a year and now want a 65" on the next one as you get used to it after a week or so and then think you could have gone bigger.

As for Bluetooth if you have a soundbar that already has that then it's not worth worrying about, just use that instead.

As for Black Friday deals, myself and Dodge have explained what to do here:

Black Friday TV treat. Help needed

Dodgexander

For most people the U7A is not worth downsizing for or paying the extra for (if the same size).

Specific needs that may add value to it though would be:
Lots of HDR use with a limitated budget (although the U7A is still not great with HDR)
Bluetooth audio as you mentioned already.
120hz panel if you want to avoid 3:2 pulldown judder or increase motion clarity by the use of motion enhancements.
Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2018 Edition
Hopefully that should help you decide.

John846

Novice Member
Once again I am grateful for the feedback! Friday is coming fast and I am starting to panic slightly, need to make a decision!

I have just realised that the U7A will be £200 more than the 6100/6200 which doesn't seem worth it for me. I've also realised that bluetooth won't be an issue as I will be using an apple tv and that will work with airplay. The extras of the U7A don't really apply to me as I've never used HDR or been into TVs like that. I will be using a PS4 and 4K Apple TV but I’m unsure if paying £200 extra will see a great difference in picture quality. I am upgrading from a 10 year old 19" acoustic solutions 720p TV so absolutely anything will do for me to be honest. I have considered going big (way over my budget) and getting the Sony XF9005. This has decent HDR and I think that this would be somewhat future proof but I read some of your content @Dodgexander and you stated it's impossible to be future proof in today's current TV climate. Due to my basic needs, is it best just to ignore HDR? Also because there’s not much difference in HDR from Hisense A series at £300 to other TVs at £600?

Therefore I believe the best decision for me is to go for the best value TV which is the Hisense A series. It will solve my current issue of not having a sufficient TV and will only cost around £300. I do have worries about the banding and bleeding issues that have been reported in reviews but I will be purchasing from Richer Sounds so I should be covered with the 6 year warranty. Do youse think that the banding issues/bleeding is a big enough reason to avoid the TV?

If you can fit a 65" then go for the A6100 otherwise at 55" the U7A as Dodge has suggested.

If you can go bigger then do it.

I've had a 55" for nearly a year and now want a 65" on the next one as you get used to it after a week or so and then think you could have gone bigger.

As for Bluetooth if you have a soundbar that already has that then it's not worth worrying about, just use that instead.

As for Black Friday deals, myself and Dodge have explained what to do here:

Black Friday TV treat. Help needed

As I mentioned, I am upgrading from a 19 inch so 65 will just be too big of a jump in my opinion. The living room TV is only 37" so it will be weird if mines is nearly double the size haha! Thanks for the black friday heads up.

For most people the U7A is not worth downsizing for or paying the extra for (if the same size).

Specific needs that may add value to it though would be:
Lots of HDR use with a limitated budget (although the U7A is still not great with HDR)
Bluetooth audio as you mentioned already.
120hz panel if you want to avoid 3:2 pulldown judder or increase motion clarity by the use of motion enhancements.
Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2018 Edition
Hopefully that should help you decide.

Yeah from what you've said I believe that the U7A isn't worth it.

Am I making the right decision based on what I have said above? I would just like some reassurance so I can make my mind up and go for it.

Also another question (sorry). What is the best thing to do to mount the TV to a wall? I've looked around and seen people quoting well over £100 just to mount the TV which seems mad! What is the best TV mount to get? I'm thinking of just buying a mount myself and getting a handyman or TV installers to fit it. Is this the best thing to do?

Last edited:

Analysis

Banned
Once again I am grateful for the feedback! Friday is coming fast and I am starting to panic slightly, need to make a decision!

I have just realised that the U7A will be £200 more than the 6100/6200 which doesn't seem worth it for me. I've also realised that bluetooth won't be an issue as I will be using an apple tv and that will work with airplay. The extras of the U7A don't really apply to me as I've never used HDR or been into TVs like that. I will be using a PS4 and 4K Apple TV but I’m unsure if paying £200 extra will see a great difference in picture quality. I am upgrading from a 10 year old 19" acoustic solutions 720p TV so absolutely anything will do for me to be honest. I have considered going big (way over my budget) and getting the Sony XF9005. This has decent HDR and I think that this would be somewhat future proof but I read some of your content @Dodgexander and you stated it's impossible to be future proof in today's current TV climate. Due to my basic needs, is it best just to ignore HDR? Also because there’s not much difference in HDR from Hisense A series at £300 to other TVs at £600?

Therefore I believe the best decision for me is to go for the best value TV which is the Hisense A series. It will solve my current issue of not having a sufficient TV and will only cost around £300. I do have worries about the banding and bleeding issues that have been reported in reviews but I will be purchasing from Richer Sounds so I should be covered with the 6 year warranty. Do youse think that the banding issues/bleeding is a big enough reason to avoid the TV?

As I mentioned, I am upgrading from a 19 inch so 65 will just be too big of a jump in my opinion. The living room TV is only 37" so it will be weird if mines is nearly double the size haha! Thanks for the black friday heads up.

Yeah from what you've said I believe that the U7A isn't worth it.

Am I making the right decision based on what I have said above? I would just like some reassurance so I can make my mind up and go for it.

Also another question (sorry). What is the best thing to do to mount the TV to a wall? I've looked around and seen people quoting well over £100 just to mount the TV which seems mad! What is the best TV mount to get? I'm thinking of just buying a mount myself and getting a handyman or TV installers to fit it. Is this the best thing to do?

You can get custom stands from eBay which basically make it look like it's mounted to the wall but in fact it's on a stand, stops all the holes on the wall.

You need to be careful with the VESA specs if you go down this route.

Dodgexander

I think that is right, there is very little reason for you to get the U7A when it already isn't going to be good with HDR.

And yes, you're right about other TVs too. its not until you hit higher end models that you get a massive difference with HDR performance. You're talking Samsung NU8000 or even more, approx £1100 currently at 65". More ideally for good HDR Sony 65XF9005 (£1500). Even with those TVs though in years to come they will be just as out of date as the cheaper Hisense models.

With wall mounting the TV if you don't feel like its something you can do yourself you can ask Richer for an installer when you buy (they may even offer to install it themselves) or you can opt the private route. If you choose the latter the company can often supply a mount or you can supply it yourself, I think it works out the same although they may choose more branded expensive mounts for their own catalogue.

John846

Novice Member
You can get custom stands from eBay which basically make it look like it's mounted to the wall but in fact it's on a stand, stops all the holes on the wall.

You need to be careful with the VESA specs if you go down this route.

I think that is right, there is very little reason for you to get the U7A when it already isn't going to be good with HDR.

And yes, you're right about other TVs too. its not until you hit higher end models that you get a massive difference with HDR performance. You're talking Samsung NU8000 or even more, approx £1100 currently at 65". More ideally for good HDR Sony 65XF9005 (£1500). Even with those TVs though in years to come they will be just as out of date as the cheaper Hisense models.

With wall mounting the TV if you don't feel like its something you can do yourself you can ask Richer for an installer when you buy (they may even offer to install it themselves) or you can opt the private route. If you choose the latter the company can often supply a mount or you can supply it yourself, I think it works out the same although they may choose more branded expensive mounts for their own catalogue.

Thanks a lot. I’m just going to get my own mount and get it installed privately, found someone good to do it.

I have another question. Is it worth getting a PS4 pro to use with the hisense? I’m looking for a pro as my current PlayStation is only 500gb (need more storage) but unsure if it’ll be worthwhile if my TV isn’t top of the range. Will it still be decent enough?

Dodgexander

Thanks a lot. I’m just going to get my own mount and get it installed privately, found someone good to do it.

I have another question. Is it worth getting a PS4 pro to use with the hisense? I’m looking for a pro as my current PlayStation is only 500gb (need more storage) but unsure if it’ll be worthwhile if my TV isn’t top of the range. Will it still be decent enough?
It should be fine, especially in games that let you control the HDR peak brightness level in the settings, luckily we are seeing more and more of those.

In games where you can't its HDR may be better off disabled but there are of course other advantages to the more expensive console such as more processing power so you can run games at higher frame rate, be it at 1080p or 2160p.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom