Best 49” TV

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Boneo, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Boneo

Boneo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’m looking for the best 49” tv for under £1000. Ideally closer to £700.

I’ve previously only ever owned Sony TVs and mostly been happy. My current tv is the w8 model but got damaged this weekend.

It seems like it is increasingly difficult to get the 49XF9005 and the reviews for the XF85 seem mixed (although I also read that at 49” it’s fine). There are also limited reviews of the 2019 models at the moment.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,400
    Sometimes the Sony 49XF9005 crops up on the Sony centre direct website refurbished but it comes and goes very quickly @ £630.

Sony Centre - Refurbished

It would be a case of continuously checking and being fast when one appears.

Its replacement would be the XG90 but being a new 2019 model it costs over £1200 right now and will take some time to come down to a more reasonable price. Usually the first time the serious discounts arrive is black friday.

The XF85 range is using only a VA type panel at 49" and 85", most unfavourable reviews will be of the sizes using IPS panels which will be the main reason the scores are worse. Contrast, blacks and screen uniformity are always worse with IPS type LCD panels.

As for the XF90 vs the XF85, if you do not use much HDR content the XF85 is more than good enough.

3. Boneo

Boneo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response - I appreciate it. This seems like a bad time to need a new TV. The 2018 models are hard to come by and the 2019 models are priced high and not yet reviewed.

I’m not sure I will make it to Black Friday. My current TV is pretty unusable. What are the best options outside of Sony in this bracket?

Thanks.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,400
    Availability was always going to be poorer at 49" since there are not many decent models at all sub 55". The XF9005 is the only decent performer with HDR sub 55" and its still really only a mid range model.

Move up to 55" and you open up more options including the XF9005 at that size and the Samsung Q8DN too. May be easier finding a larger model if you can fit it but it will be over your budget.

A compromise would be to stay at 55" and look at the Samsung 55NU8000 or Q6FN which will be far better value than 50" models. At 50" the NU8000 is not the same TV and comes only with a 60hz panel - a common trend for many ranges of TVs once you get to smaller sizes.

Strictly sticking to 49" or 50" really apart from the two Sony's you can't get both good motion together with a panel with high contrast and good blacks. The best of the rest is probably the LG SK8500 which retains good motion but uses an IPS panel with poorer contrast and blacks. There is an argument to be made to spend less on a 60hz TV with a VA panel instead if you value aspects of the picture quality such as blacks and contrast more than you do motion performance but using the LG SK8500 with lights on or during the day then its not really a big problem.