Best 48 to 55 inch TV for me.

AVNovice30

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hiya

I’ve read the ultimate buyer’s guide, and can give you further info based on that.

I sit about 6-8 feet away from the TV and relatively straight on but not perfectly. I currently have a Samsung that’s 10 years old and doesn’t play any catch up services any more.

I have a Samsung blu-ray player but the main use will be general viewing, catch up services and maybe Netflix, as I’ve heard it’s quite popular...

During the day, the room would be quite bright, so a TV with little glare would be useful.

I’d like to future proof as much as I can but know that’s not really possible in this day and age. Ideally, I‘d like good sound out of the box, but not averse to buying a soundbar if finances allow.

Looking to spend less than £1000.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I actually was going to get the Q80 but not sure about anti glare.

You’ll need a soundbar regardless, especially at this price point. Samsung, above the Q70, do the best glare filters on the market. The Q85 is the best middle ground for performance/price. The Q80 is quite poor.

Thanks. Not sure if 55 is TOO big but happy to go with your suggestions. Sonos Beam then. 😉

The Q80R in Europe is not the Q80R well reviewed online in North America.
The Q85R is more like that TV here.

Ah I didn’t know That’s very helpful, thanks. It’s about £300 above budget at present but I’ll see if so can find it anywhere on offer.

Ah I didn’t know That’s very helpful, thanks. It’s about £300 above budget at present but I’ll see if so can find it anywhere on offer.
Are you sure it's above budget? Only yesterday I saw someone said if you price match with Currys at Richer you can get it sub £1000.

You can use price matching to your advantage with Richer Sounds and John Lewis. As long as the place you match with has stock and has an extended warranty included too. Some may even dare buy direct from Currys!

Thank you. It was £999 but I was including the sound bar in my calculations.

Ah fantastic thanks.

Does a TV need Dolby Vision and HDMI 2.1 right now?

Hi
Dolby vision is quite widely available on streaming services, 4k Blu-ray disks etc. It's not essential in that you can still play DV content if your TV supports hdr, even if it doesn't support DV. The TV will just not be able to use the DV information, but will make use of the hdmi10 data. It will still look fine but perhaps a touch less impactful. So it's not essential.
Hdmi 2.1 is a wide specification of features some of which can be used now, like enhanced ARC for sound, and some which are designed for future tech like variable refresh rate.
It's not necessary to have it now but if you have it, you might be able to take advantage of some of it now or in the future.
It's worth remembering that if your TV supports a 2.1 feature, e.g. eARC, then any connected gear also need to support it. So it's no use having eARC on your TV for example and then buying a soundbar that doesn't support that feature. These types of hdmi features need to be all both ends of the chain...
For example my 2019 oled only has one 2.1 feature which is allm for gaming, which I don't use, and the TV works flawlessly with all connected gear, including a game console.
Part of hdmi 2.1 is for 8k support so if you are looking at a 4k TV that part is again naturally not relevant.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’m so green when it comes to these things. I also see one bad review and start to get analysis paralysis. Think we’ve all been there!

Thank you. I’m so green when it comes to these things. I also see one bad review and start to get analysis paralysis. Think we’ve all been there!

I'm pretty green too, but fortunately there are those on here like @Dodgexander and others who are very knowledgeable.
For bad reviews, I tend to look at it a bit like cars. There's no guarantee that whatever you buy or spend that it will be trouble free, but if you buy a decent set like the ones you are looking at, most people would be more than happy. Wish you luck and stay safe...

Thanks so much. The TV and sound bar offer at Hughes was still available, so I’ve ordered. Will let you know how I find it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom