Best 48” OLED of the moment

jrpavel

Standard Member
Reaction score
The time has come to retire my analogue Panasonic plasma, but I have room for only a 48” replacement. OLED seems to be the way to go. (I just replaced by father’s panel of similar vintage with a 55” Sony A90J which has a very pleasing picture.)

Unfortunately, Sony don’t seem to do the A90J in 48“. Instead they offer a ke48a9bu, which I assume is last year’s model.

Alternatives seem to be the LG C14 and the Panasonic JZ1000.

I mainly watch terrestrial tv and would watch Amazon prime video. I use Apple phones, iPads and Macs.

On the basis that out of the box all three will have reasonable pictures, the Sony doesn‘t record from Youview and has old firmware; and the Panasonic doesn’t support Airplay I’m inclined to go for the LG, which also happens to be the cheapest.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks. . Why? That adds to the options but is it available from a retailer that installs, and removes the old device?

Id say the 48C1 from LG, typically LG are still very fast with resolving issues via firmware/software updates across all their TVs especially the OLED sets, excellent specs since they produce the OLEDs for all the other manufacturers like sony, philips etc. I don't think Philips or Sony are as quick with the software updates, they typically take longer to resolve bugs and issues, imo a product is only as good as their foundation or support.

Sony have yet to release an updated 48 inch for 2021, I think its since they just released their ke48a9bu fairly late last year we might see a newer one this fall perhaps or they may just skip it and wait for 2022 springs new refreshes of TVs, naturally by then LG will have their newer 2022 sets also.

There really is not much enough improvement over the 48 inch LG CX 2020 series, maybe 2022s 48inch may set the bar higher and actually add better improvements with luck.

Don't forget LG should get their 42" OLEDs this fall or early next year hopefully and then their 31" Oled if you are looking for smaller screen sizes.

I'd be interested to hear opinions of the best 48" as well because I'm in the same boat - looking at upgrading from my 42" plasma.

I also notice that Panasonic now have a 48" OLED.

I'd be interested to hear opinions of the best 48" as well because I'm in the same boat - looking at upgrading from my 42" plasma.

I also notice that Panasonic now have a 48" OLED.

Don't usually hear many owners with the Panasonic 48", could be that its 1.7k and the LG C1 1.1k, value for money has always been LG. I think its the same stance as before, LG produce the panels, have technically the better support for firmware/software updates although not sure fully on Panasonics firmware releases, we know LGs pretty much the top. LG also offer an OLED panel repair service for £200-250, not sure if sony, philips, panasonic offer such a service.

If you have the 42" plasma and its doing well you may wish to hang onto it, some plasma owners are still enjoying it, if you can wait another 4-5 months more till Spring 2022, LG should have their 42" OLED panel out and next OLED series panels. I recommend if you are from UK getting the protect plus burn in cover from John lewis also.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom