BEST 42'in LCD for £1100...??? urgent

Killswitch 73

can people advise as this is my first LCD screen im going to buy ...im stepping from plasma's..

as i have had enough ..i.e purple snakes on panny px60 and px70....all within 4 months the px70 was exchanged only wed just gone....im having my money back tuesday next week 11th april..(£1120) so im going down the lcd route....

well i have only 1 in mind as it has very good reviews..and some bad but dont everything ?

its the SHARP LC42XD1E 42" High Definition 1080p Digital LCD TV

this is full HD....as i have a ps3 and 360 will this benifit me in any way that a plasma wouldnt ...would i see a differance from a 1080i plasma to the sharp 1080p lcd ????

im getting my money back from empire direct and the cheapest i have seen this tv is at empire direct for £1099.99...and thats with 3 yr warranty.....do you think i should give the retailer another chance and echange the plasma for this lcd or just get money back and buy from elsewhere ???

i DONT watch to much tv only things like battlestar galactica on sky 1 and some dvd's ....i dont plan on buying sky had as yet not for another 12 months as its to expensive for the hd box and i think sky movies is a rip off...so i have only the basic sky package of £15...

the screen will be for not stop gaming few dvd's ...streaming films from media centre laptop to xbox 360....

and when there are plenty of then about ...blu-ray films....

BEFORE I GO ...JOHN LEWIS IS DOING A PRICE MATCH FOR ME FOR THE PANNY 42PX70CAB WITH 5 YR WARRANTY ....SO THATS AN EXTRA 2 YR WARRANTY FOR THE SAME PRICE AS EMPIRE DIRECT....

IM JUST SO CONFUSED IN WEATHER TO BY LCD OR BUY THE SAME PLASMA FROM JOHN LEWIS...

thank you all in advance ...

Crafty

look at the new samsung le40m87bd, the thread on here "new samsung lcd tv in march" covers it.

I was going to buy the XD1E but was put off by reports of banding on some 42" models and the tv making noises when switched off.

The samsung has 3 HDMI ports over the XD1Es 2 as well.

leeince

Distinguished Member
I bought that samsung on saturday from Costco with a 3 year guarantee for £998 inc vat.

reaper12

Kill Switch,

Get the Samsung LE40F71BX. They are been released now with the updated firmware and should be well below your 1100 budget.

If you want some advice with settings etc. just give me a shout here or PM me.

good luck :)

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
Hi,

This thread looks like it meets my requirements exactly (40" 1080P).

I was going to get a Sony 40W but have been put off by the "clouding" stories etc and it just doesn't seem to justify the extra cost over the Samsungs and others.

Could somebody please clarify in a nutshell the differences between the Samsung LE40F and LE40M. I may well check out Costco at the weekend and make a purchase. Costco have good prices, good returns & a 3 year warranty, though you have to be lucky with what models they're selling at any particular time.

Cheers,

RDB :)

reaper12

Rock Da Bass, There is no nutshell, If you have the money and can afford the LE40M86 buy it. The M86 and M87 are the latest models from samsung.

I have the F71 myself and it is a great TV, you will not be dissappointed, but if I was buying a new one I would buy the M86 as it improves on many areas of the F71.

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
Thanks Reaper :thumbsup:

So basically the Ms are a bit more up to date and a bit better, though it's good to hear the F71 is doing well for you. If it comes to price I may well get the F71 as a bargain but if there's not much difference I may look at getting the M.

I'm off to do a price hunt (and I'll check in at Costco)

RDB :)

danbl

The F71 is out of stock at Currys/Dixons and they have no eta on more stock, the M87 can be had for a shade over £1k from Dabs (who now have an ETA).

reaper12

Rock, The M86/M87 are so cheap, there really isn't a lot of difference between them and the F71 pricewise, maybe a couple of £100. Get one :) I know I would if I was buying now!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom