Question Best ~42" to replace VT20

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by robertseymour, Feb 4, 2018.

1. robertseymour

robertseymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I am looking for an upgrade to my 42" Panasonic Plasma, I currently have a P42VT20 (previously P42X20) 42" screen

I posted a previous thread a year or so back:
    Upgrade from Panasonic TX-P42X20

This is the room where we sit around 8' from the screen and 42" is really a pretty perfect size.

[​IMG]
    Lounge
    by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

I picked up the VT20 free from a member of the family, a great upgrade on the HD Ready X20 but its getting on and started showing some ghosting on fast panning.
    The 4K Bladerunner Final Cut however looked superb, even on 1080P. It won't be used for any gaming.

I really like the look of the new OLED screens, especially the Panasonic 972 range but I fear 55" is just going to dominate the room and there does not seem to be any higher end screens less than 55" anymore.

Main priorities:
    Wide Viewing Angle
    Low Black Levels

Sources:
    Sky +HD Box
    Panasonic UB700 4K Bluray (Bluray and Netflix/Amazon Prime)

Budget ~£1k ish

Any ideas, at the moment, best option, still seems to be going for an old P42GT60....

Cheers, Rob

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    If you can afford it you won't regret going for a 55" OLED and for UHD standards 8ft isn't even close enough to notice a difference for most people between FHD and UHD on a 65"tv. So as far as viewing distance goes I really wouldn't worry.

The best value LCDs don't come close in quality overall to the OLEDs yet even they don't do everything better than plasma tv's..and UHD models alone won't scale poorer quality content as well either.

You also can't get good LCDs with wide viewing angles.

3. Zabirh

Zabirh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I'm in a similar situation. Coming from previously owning 3 Panasonic plasma's. Last one was a P46GT20 which got broken this week.

I've seen the new Panasonic OLED TX-55EZ952B and was thinking of buying it but I could save around £1000 and buy the Samsung UE55MU9000 or the Samsung UE55MU7000. Both are under £1000. The TX-55EZ952B is around £1799. Haven't looked at TV's for many years, I'm new to all this oled 4k uhd etc. For now the tv will be used mostly for PS4 non pro version and Sky HD. Although in future it will probably be for 4K and hdr.

Cheers

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    LG B7 the obvious contender, don't think the Panasonic warrants the extra in this case.

Those LCDs are decent mid range models but by coming from plasma to OLED you will be going two steps forward one back, by going for LCD probably 2 steps forward, 3 back.

If you see what I mean.

5. Zabirh

Zabirh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thank you

6. robertseymour

robertseymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The main problem I have is that a 55" is just going to be too large, I love the picture quality of the OLEDs that I've looked at but they are just too big!

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,360
    @RayP had the same dilemma some time ago and made the leap to 55" rather than waiting for lower sized OLEDs, if he is about maybe his feedback will help you?

In this day and age, 55" really isn't big for TV standards, especially when with UHD you need a wider field of view to enjoy it.

As for aesthetics, well the OLED is so thin, it will stand out less than your current TV even if its larger in height and width. The depth is so thin.

8. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,093
    Measure the space where your TV is. My old 42" plasma was on a chimney breast but after checking the dimensions of the Loewe 55" OLED there would be 3 inches of space each side of the TV. I could have fitted a 59" there but wanted OLED, not old LCD technology. From your photo it's difficult to gauge the amount of available space on that wall but I can reassure you 55" from 8ft is not too large.

I've had the TV for 15 months now and don't regret my decision. You soon get used to the larger size and sitting 8ft from the screen I'm at the limit of UHD viewing. Any further away and you won't see all the info. If I didn't have a chimney breast then I'd definitely go 65".

If the space is available then take the plunge. You won't regret it. :)

9. robertseymour

robertseymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Guys, below is a better photo (although older and not showing the soundbar), yes, I 'could' fit a 55" in but I still think it will be too big...

[​IMG]
    IMGP3394
    by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

10. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,093
    Honestly Rob, it won't. Did you think your 42" plasma was too large when you got it? My Panasonic plasma 42PH9 looked enormous but I soon got used to the size.

But it's more about UHD and sitting distance. The reason they don't make OLED smaller than 55" is you would have to sit so close to see all the detail. If you're 8ft away the 55" is just possible although a 60" or larger would be better.

One suggestion I would make is to lower the TV. It looks too high and I can imagine a bit of neck strain when watching. The centre of the screen should be at eye level.

11. robertseymour

robertseymour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Well, I did go from a 19" LCD to a 42" P42X20 :p so yes, it did feel large!
    The middle of the current screen is actually at eye height, just looks odd in the photos, the bottom of the screen is ~750mm from the floor.

12. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,093
    One suggestion I've seen is to cut a piece of cardboard or newspaper to the dimensions of the TV and hang it on the wall. That will give you a good indication of how well it will fit.

13. Zabirh

Zabirh
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Saw a Panasonic TX 58DX802B in John Lewis today for £899. So far its my first choice for now. I can get a Samsung Qled Q6 for £999 or a MU9000 for £849. But I'll probably go for the
    TX-50DX802B. They had a Panasonic TX-65EZ952B Oled playing 4k blu ray and I'm sure my old P46GT20 looked better.