1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 42" plasma up to £2500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mike Swannick, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonics seem to get favourable mention amongst the forum members, particularly the PW6.

What's the the difference between the PWD6 and the PW6B?

Our purchase will be a replacement for the TV and so will be used for DVD, terrestrial TV, ntl Cable and occasionally S-VHS video.

We have an AV system already so speakers aren't a priority, but the ability to use any inbuilt speaker as a centre would be useful.

Is using the VCR as a tuner acceptable or is an onboard tuner capability the best way to go?

Is adding the connection terminals as additional extras the norm when buying plasma? I would need at least 2 x SCART & 1 x RGB (RCA)

Whats the best way to include a bit of future proofing?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    PWD6 = charcoal
    PW6 = silver

letter after 6
    B = british (pioneer swap out warrenty)
    E = european (no swap out warrenty)

3. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ditto, PWD6

Spook

4. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give it a month it might be the 7

5. pmccreight

pmccreight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you have the screen hooked via the DVI port to the video processing power of the Lucas Skywalker Production Ranch the picture on all Plasmas aint work a fudge.

6. richywiseman

richywiseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you say that the letter after 6 is B=British my PWD6 part number has BX what does that mean?

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What a load of rubbish!

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Well done mate. Very constructive. Have one of these for your efforts :offtopic: and one of these guys too :censored:

X means without terminal board. It's relevant in the stock warehouses to signify there is no board installed. By the time it gets to customer a board is either installed or supplied with so the X becomes irrelevant.

Mike,

using a VCR as tuner isn't the best, it will only send a composite video signal up to the plasma. A DVD recorder would be better since it can send RGB or YUV (component), there again do you really need terrestrial when you have cable?

Adding terminals is Panasonics approach, other manufacturers have flirted with the idea too. Since everybody has a different requirement they figure they can cater for all this way. Best idea is to go to a dealer who can discuss all the options with you for now and for future upgrades. The next Panasonic may well have better support for HDMI than the current model does so might be worth the wait for a little future proofing.

9. pmccreight

pmccreight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I belive it is 'Very constructive'. People should be made aware than when a Plasma Screen and only 'screens' they are (anyone who even utters the words 'Plasma TVs' should either be horse wipped or tied to a poll and stoned) are viewed with everyday consumer equipment like Sky Boxes and <£500 DVD players should be warned that the picture they will get will be nowhere near that of traditional tv or even as good as a rear projection.

My 'old' 42'' rear projection may have had a fatter arse but it had a lovely face compared to my new 42'' LG Plasma.

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm sorry I cannot agree with you. This is from your personal experiences and not those of someone who has seen decent plasma screens (that don't need dedicated processing nor expensive components to look good from Sky). May I suggest that a more constructive comment would have been "I'm really sour that I got sold an LG, don't buy an LG buy something good". At least then other readers would know what exactly to avoid from your bad experience.

11. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    now i know why you are a disgruntled plasma owner :laugh: :hiya:

12. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a proper Plasma and you will be impressed. No need to slag off all plasmas because you'd made a poor choice.

13. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the posts so far, and I do mean ALL of them. How long before the PW7 is released then? and can anyone guess at a likely cost?

I'll show the DVD recorder comment to the wife, I may be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone here :). Although ntl has been very good to me for all the services I get, I can still see the poor image quality on some channels on my 32" 4:3 Toshiba TV, which is the reason why we don't do all our TV via the set top box.

Are there any other serious contenders with the Panasonics in the same price group?

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Recently the NECs have been popular since the price drop to get rid of the last stock, if you search there is a thread on them. Basically the 42XM2 doesn't have the black level of the Panasonic (although is a little better than the Pioneer) but does have amazing (and bright) colour reproduction and is an XGA resolution panel going out for not much more than the standard resolution Panasonic is! No scart so you'll have to be a little more creative with your wiring....

15. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sentiments exactly. Couldn't figure out how this bloke could have so much free time to read boards he's not interested in until he said "LG Plasma".

I do sympathise with him though, my Goodmans plasma which went back had LG glass and tuner, and it was truly horrendous.

16. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Liam,

Do all DVD Recorders output the tuned channel through the RGB or YUV connections?

I was thinking about purchasing one of the new Sony DVD-R/HDD recorders, and use it as a terrestial tuner for a plasma but can't find any information on its ability to output terrestial signals through RGB or YUV...

NS

17. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have a philips dvdr75 recorder (includes tuner), it plays everything out as RGB
    It even converts looped thru s-video and composite video inputs to RGB output