Best 42" Inch Full HD 1080p Plasma TV for around £2500?

Sylver123

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I`m looking for any recommendations on the best brand, best quality 42" Inch Full HD 1080p Plasma TV I can get for around £2500?

The picture quality must be very good with good colors, deep blacks, good sound quality, great for viewing HD and Blu-Ray content as well as normal DVD content, good response time, NTSC and PAL supported, has built in freeview or freesat, great for Console and pc gaming and possibly has support for DVB-T2 and has other great recommended features.

Thank you for responding.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that I would accept as high as 46" Inch.

For that kind of money i would only be thinking 50" or larger, something like the 50" Pio 9G or the 55" Panny V10. You'll be getting quite a bit of change for a 42" unless you go the LED LCD route.

The best small TV is the Panasonic 42V10, but it only costs ~£1000.

Note: for max budget, I could stretch as far as £3000 if i had too.

Does anyone have recommendations on a very good quality 50" Inch Full HD 1080p Plasma TV then??? Remember, the screen has to be good for the things I mentioned in my original first post.

Thanks for responding.

To be honest 2500 is way too much for a 42inch. I reckon if you are ready to spend money on a quality TV then you should get the Samsung LED 8 series (Buy SAMSUNG UE46B8000XWXXU | 46" led backlit tv - Television | Comet). This is a 46inch and I have personally seen this the quality is exceptional. But if you really want to splash out for a 50inch then get the Pioneer Kuro PDD-LX5090. That is a QUALITY Plasma and should definately be a good purchase. Hope this helps.

With your budget consider the Panasonic Z1 or PF11.

or wait for the PF12. 50" should come in under 2500. PF11 or PF12 needs a separate audio system though.

I take it if i waited until some months into 2010, i should be able to get a much better quality 50" inch screen with my max budget?

Note: right now im using a cheap non HD samsung 28" flat screen tv, and so this will be my first real high quality screen.

Last edited:
I take it if i waited until some months into 2010, i should be able to get a much better quality 50" inch screen with my max budget?

Not necessarily. Over the past year or so two high-end plasma manufactures have left the market as LCD competition drives down retail price. Currently you may still be able to buy a Pioneer pdp of some sort or a large Panasonic V10 (with your budget I'd buy a 58V10). You may not next year. Perhaps newer models won't improve image quality but instead add 3D or be made from even cheaper materials. The 2010 models may be announced soon but will then become available to purchase over the course of the year. Are you happy watching what you have in the meantime?

Does anyone know of any good online shops in the uk i could purchase a Panasonic 58V10 at a decent price, around my budget???

Thanks for responding.

Does anyone know of any good online shops in the uk i could purchase a Panasonic 58V10 at a decent price, around my budget???

Thanks for responding.

I think you should reconsider the size you are looking at. Everyone has suggested a quality set but not the correct size. 58" is the MAXIMUM that you can get within your budget but you dont have to use all your budget. Size must depend on the viewing distance and kind of material you view. Even if the set is a high quality set, if viewed from a shorter distance with poorer quality feed, it will look as bad as on a cheap LCD even. So please check the size before plunging in.

Well, viewing distance will be about 7-8 feet.

I would say 46 or 50" max (42" if watching SD) and 58" will IMO, be ridiculous :eek: Not sure you will even take the whole screen in :rolleyes: Buy a cheaper TV and get an excellent BR player and sound system to go with it

Unfortunately, there is no 46V10. The 50" would be ok for HD stuff

Sony make a top notch LCD (said to be the best available), the 46X4500, which is around £2k online

http://www.johnlewis.com/230511720/Product.aspx?source=6132

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe a 58" would be a bit too big for my viewing distance.

Is there any other differences in quality and features between the Panny 50V10 and 58V10 model other than the screen size??? and if the size of the screen is the only real difference between them, then why the big difference in price for a extra 8 inches???

Last edited:
Before i make my mind up, is the Panny 50V10 definitely good quality screen for its size??? if yes, then does anyone know of any good online website deals on this screen???

thanks for responding.

Check Pricerunner for prices

Where do you live as some stores are offering extended warranties for instore purchases.

And you really should check it out for yourself before spending that sort of money IMO!

Unforchantly, none of my local shops have these, so it will have to be some sort of online purchase.

Last edited:
One last question.

I`ll be purchasing a Wall Mount with my Panny 50V10 that i`ll be purchasing at the same time as the screen from hiwayhifi.com, and i was wondering if the RAW PF1 Universal Screen Wall Mount for 37" To 55" LCD / Plasma Televisions listed in the same website, look below would do the job, and will allow me to have access to all the inputs at the back of the screen without problems???

RAW PF1 (PF1) Universal Screen Wall Mount for 37" To 55" LCD / Plasma Televisions... - www.hiwayhifi.com

Thank you for responding.

I have a 58" Full HD Panasonic Plasma and sit about the same distance as you. I'm afraid people who say it is too big from this distance simply do NOT know what they are talking about. In fact it's about the ideal distance to sit according to many viewing charts and I personally think it is not too big at all, in fact I shall be looking for bigger next time round.

What do you watch though? All HD? Or SD - surpises me if the latter especially if through Virgin!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom