best 40" tv under £1000

davejay00

Standard Member
hi all,

relatively new to these forums so would appreciate a bit of help.

i have just got a ps3 and now need a decent tv to hook it up to. what are my options and what do i need to consider? i have been advised to go for a 1080 if possible so i am just wondering what the best deals are around at the moment and if anyone has a similar setup they could recommend? i am ideally after a 40" and have a budget of up to £1000, but the cheaper the better!

many thanks for your help in advance.

dave

pmj

Standard Member
hi all,

i have just got a ps3 and now need a decent tv to hook it up to. what are my options and what do i need to consider? i have been advised to go for a 1080 if possible so i am just wondering what the best deals are around at the moment and if anyone has a similar setup they could recommend? i am ideally after a 40" and have a budget of up to £1000, but the cheaper the better!

dave
Hi dave,

I am currently in the same boat.

I was interested in the Sony kdl40w2000 which is getting very cheap now.It is 1080p and still gets good reviews. See below link... :)

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=11811

However I am aware there are some new sony tv's due on the way soon. The v3000 in particular which supports 24hz mode for watching blu ray discs. If you have a PS3 this is something you should try and aim for. Failing that there is a budget 1080p due in October from Sony, the V2900.

Good luck!

ChrisGgr

The 40W2000,but the new V3000 will be better

davejay00

Standard Member
how about the toshiba 42X3030D LCD Television?

what what people go for if they had a choice between the two?

thanks for your help

ChrisGgr

Between which?The 40V3000 with the 42X3030?Both very good but I think the sony will be a little better

ChrisGgr

They are the same

ChrisGgr

I mean in performance.

Mikeybloo

thanks for your help guys,

just seen this one on play, do you have any thoughts / comments on how this would compare?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...descreen-LCD-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre

many thanks for all your help
dave

Don't touch it, it's not 1080p. I've just faced exactly the same decision as you, considered the tosh, considered waiting for the new Sony's (they'll cost a lot mind, more than the grand you've got), and went for the Sony KDLW2000 (I got mine with a deal for £798, but you can get it £848 delivered from Sound and Vision, they're a good company). It is more than adequate for you if you want to play PS3 games (they're stunning on this screen, even if not many play at 1080p at the mo).

I also watch blu-rays at 1080p, looks brilliant. Ordinary SD telly is fine as well.

Poeple will always advise you to wait abit longer, there's a new model due out, it'll be a bit better etc etc - tbh. how much better can they get, we're now talking small percentage increases in picture quality (are these really visible) and BIG percentage increases in price. Mate, all this talk of 100hz, 24 fps is all just marketing baloney. If you buy the Sony (or the Toshiba), you will love it especially if it's your first big LCD, and you'll only have spent £800.

Alternatively, wait 3 months and pay £1500 and get a new Sony and I'm sure you'll love that too - but hey, why not wait another 9 months and those £1500 Sony's will be only a grand because the next big thing will be coming....you see where I'm going with this?

Good luck.

ianjm

hi all,

dave

Samsung M86 has dropped in price now the F86 has been released. The M86 is still an excellent set and I'd throughly recommend it (a mate has one and I bought the F86 on the basis that it'd be as good as this!).

The LE40M86 can be had for £800-£900, even from Dixons. Great TV.

THE GFP

Banned
sony bravia 40d3000u

£900 DELIVERD WITH 4 YEAR WARRANTY

STUNNING

100GHZ SO BLURAY IS STUNNING ON IT

3 HDMI PORTS

2 SCART PORTS

and SD looks great on it

Mikeybloo

sony bravia 40d3000u

£900 DELIVERD WITH 4 YEAR WARRANTY

STUNNING

100GHZ SO BLURAY IS STUNNING ON IT

3 HDMI PORTS

2 SCART PORTS

and SD looks great on it

You can get it for £750 from Digitaldirect - it may be 100hz but is only 1080I max res so I'd suggest getting a 1080p set for optimal pic quality

ding76uk

Standard Member
Don't touch it, it's not 1080p. I've just faced exactly the same decision as you, considered the tosh, considered waiting for the new Sony's (they'll cost a lot mind, more than the grand you've got), and went for the Sony KDLW2000 (I got mine with a deal for £798, but you can get it £848 delivered from Sound and Vision, they're a good company). It is more than adequate for you if you want to play PS3 games (they're stunning on this screen, even if not many play at 1080p at the mo).

I also watch blu-rays at 1080p, looks brilliant. Ordinary SD telly is fine as well.

Poeple will always advise you to wait abit longer, there's a new model due out, it'll be a bit better etc etc - tbh. how much better can they get, we're now talking small percentage increases in picture quality (are these really visible) and BIG percentage increases in price. Mate, all this talk of 100hz, 24 fps is all just marketing baloney. If you buy the Sony (or the Toshiba), you will love it especially if it's your first big LCD, and you'll only have spent £800.

Alternatively, wait 3 months and pay £1500 and get a new Sony and I'm sure you'll love that too - but hey, why not wait another 9 months and those £1500 Sony's will be only a grand because the next big thing will be coming....you see where I'm going with this?

Good luck.

I think straigh dismissing the D3000 is a bit silly, it has great reviews and is a very good TV. It depends on the viewing distance but at 11ft plus you will not see any difference from full HD, and as forthe blu ray the 40D3000 has 24p where as (and correct me if i'm wrong) the W2000 doesn't. Have to say though that is a great price for that TV Mikeybloo

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom