Question Best 40" TV for Gaming, TV and Movies for £400

Evoss

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently looking for a 40" TV that will be used for gaming on the PS4, watching TV and movies around the £400 mark.

I have been researching TVs all week and today went to John Lewis browsing TVs. I talked to multiple members of their team individually and got mixed responses.

The TVs that I have narrowed my decisions down to are:
I can't make my mind up between the two of these. The Samsung has a better smart operating system, features and motion capabilities, whereas the Sony has a lower input lag for gaming and more natural display.

Is the Samsung a better display, better contrast ratios, colours etc...?
It is 3D capable, requiring more power, does this give it better specs in 2D?
I know comparing the two in store is not worthy of anything, however looking at the two side by side on dynamic, the Samsung's picture was more vibrant.

Will the Samsung's 44ms input lag be really that much of an issue in gaming or is the Sony required?

I am open to all your options and suggestions, please fire away.

Thanks

Last edited:
The Sony is decent, but the 805 would be the same niche as the Samsung, so the 6400 ticks a lot of boxes for the money. 3D TV's tend to have better panels, so a better refresh rate. If you thought the Samsung looked better than the Sony 705 instore, then that makes sense. Your not going to go wrong with either, but the Samsung is very good value for money.
Hope that helps

Thanks for your reply Old Bones.

The current Sony TVs in John Lewis are of the 2015 range, where as the Samsung UE40H6400 is 2014. Is the H6400 now in the niche of the W7 range as these displays are now effectively a year newer or still the same as the W8 range?

I don't know how much the technology in the display of the Sonys would have developed in a year, just thought it might be worth questioning.

On the note of gaming, is the Samsung's higher input lag going to be much of a problem? I know it is subjective, but does it put you at a disadvantage?

Thank you

If you're a hardcore gamer where split second reactions are important (Call of Duty, Racing games) then the lower input lag will probably help. For general gaming, I don't think it'd be that noticeable compared between the 2 sets. Here's an interesting article that talks about it some more:

Input lag: How important is it? - CNET

The main technology Sony are pushing nowadays is Android. I've heard that the OS adds to the input lag.

Is the H6400 now in the niche of the W7 range as these displays are now effectively a year newer or still the same as the W8 range?
The W8 range really hasn't changed all that much since 2014, which is no bad thing. The panel is possibly a little better, but its basically still the same refresh rate. A classic mid range TV, as is the H6400 or J6300. If you want a lower lag, but better refresh, then I'd go with the W8 series - see what you can get in clearance. The W7 is a perfectly decent set as well. Whatever way you go, your not going to make a mistake.

As for gaming lag, I have no views on it at all, since I dont game anymore - my kids have an Xbox, but I'm not allowed on it!

How does the U6400 match up against the Samsung UE40JU6400?

I know the JU is 4K, but is the TV as a whole worth an extra £100?

Thanks

Since they've both got the same speakers in much the same frame, not a lot in it! I suspect a soundbar will ultimately be on someones Christmas list, since a modern TV just doesn't sound especially great.

Since they've both got the same speakers in much the same frame, not a lot in it!
On the RS site it said the Sony was 10w, and Sammy 20w - is that wrong then?

I suspect a soundbar will ultimately be on someones Christmas list, since a modern TV just doesn't sound especially great.
I'm considering them for the bedroom, and would prefer not to have a soundbar (aesthetics and not needing great sound). But maybe these thin bezzled TVs just can't manage without :confused:

On the RS site it said the Sony was 10w, and Sammy 20w - is that wrong then?
Sorry - I though the question was between the H6400 and the JU6400.

Whats strange is that the W705 has 2 x 5w speakers, whereas the W735 and the W805 have 2 x 10w speakers. The Samsung of course has the normal 2 x10w speakers as well. Frankly, there is not a huge amount of difference - prob. OK for a bedroom in either case, but the 20w version will be a bit better.

Sorry - I though the question was between the H6400 and the JU6400.
Yes sorry, was just looking at the post before mine.

The 4k Sammy (UE40JU6400) was £349 at Tesco today. Seems cheap, but I don't want 4k for the bedroom, I'd rather a decent 1080p.

The 4k Sammy (UE40JU6400) was £349 at Tesco today. Seems cheap, but I don't want 4k for the bedroom,

Are you sure it wasn't the 'special' J6000? £379 was the selling price today, but Tesco's might have knocked a bit off online.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom