Best 40" + lcd? please help

Reaction score
What is the best 40"+ lcd panel around at the moment, i will be using it for gaming mostly and Sky HD when it arrives. I'm currently torn between the Sony and the Samsung, which of these is better please thanks

That is my question exactly! I want a 40 inch lcd too and its going to be either the samsung le40r51b or the sony klv s40

i have seen the samsung in the store and the picture quality seems excellent, very sharp etc.

now i have to go and see the sony somewhere to make a decision!

btw sony has an offer now that says if you buy a 40 inch tv, the will give you 200 euros back, or you can order a sony dvd recorder for free instead!

anyone has info that can help us? thnx

LRenno said:
What is the best 40"+ lcd panel around at the moment, i will be using it for gaming mostly and Sky HD when it arrives. I'm currently torn between the Sony and the Samsung, which of these is better please thanks

I have the 40" samsung, its very good, I use a basic scart lead for sky and the picture is very good, some of the more minor channels are not as good but I had that with my old CRT.

I have been worried about dead pixels and there were none although can they happen at any time?

If you want the samsung then I would hurry because now its discontinued retailers will start to sell out in preparation for the new models due this month

The Samsung has not been discontinued. It has not been out long enough. (It is even being advertised on TV quite a lot, as it is their flagship TV). There is a slight re-designed version available soon, but it is more expensive. The only difference is slightly quicker response times. The LE40 is ace, I purchased it over the Sony after testing both of them with my own equipment. The Sony set was terrible at high def feeds compared to the Samsung. There was pixellation and noise visible, the Samsung, on the other hand, performed flawlessly. (The fact that it was cheaper then the $ony was also a bonus). Money was no obstacle for me, and I went for the best TV. My advice? go for the Samsung, but do try to test both sets and make your own decision.

phorenzik said:
The Samsung has not been discontinued. It has not been out long enough. (It is even being advertised on TV quite a lot, as it is their flagship TV). There is a slight re-designed version available soon, but it is more expensive. The only difference is slightly quicker response times. The LE40 is ace, I purchased it over the Sony after testing both of them with my own equipment. The Sony set was terrible at high def feeds compared to the Samsung. There was pixellation and noise visible, the Samsung, on the other hand, performed flawlessly. (The fact that it was cheaper then the $ony was also a bonus). Money was no obstacle for me, and I went for the best TV. My advice? go for the Samsung, but do try to test both sets and make your own decision.

The LE40R51B has been discontinued, samsung told me, like you say there is a slightly newer model coming out this month , but I was right that the current model is no longer being produced

thelurch said:
The LE40R51B has been discontinued, samsung told me, like you say there is a slightly newer model coming out this month , but I was right that the current model is no longer being produced

I stand corrected then. Samsung seem to knock out new TV models faster than Nokia replace their phones. Its a bit annoying, as I have only had my Sammy for 3 weeks.

phorenzik said:
I stand corrected then. Samsung seem to knock out new TV models faster than Nokia replace their phones. Its a bit annoying, as I have only had my Sammy for 3 weeks.

Bummer, but maybe it will be a cosmetic change (personally I hate the styling)

Can I ask however, how much did you pay??

I tried the LE40R51B and didn't like the motion-blur so I'm personally looking forward to the new model, I also prefer the styling. That doesn't mean you folks who are happy with the R51s are wrong, just my personal opinion...

Anyone know where someone is getting one in stock that I can try out?

You posted your link and text the wrong way round by the way!

Looks good but the price equates to about £2500 and that doesn't take into account 'Rip Off Britain' factor when it's available here - will be closer to £3K I'd think - good old $ony! I'm still with the 8ms Samsung, same spec as the new Sony in that respect - like you say, could be the same panel inside.

F.A.O mkjones
I bought mine from Beyondtelevision.com and it cost £1660 with shipping. I think the price has come down a bit since then, but they are very reliable people to deal with. My friend bought the 23 inch from them and it developed a fault in the first week. They instantly arranged a swap (he paid the difference and went for the 26 version).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom