1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 40"ish Plasma for PS/HDTV gaming?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Abadd, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Im new to this whole Progressive Scan, HDTV lark so need some advice.
    Im looking to buy a Plasma between 36-42" that makes my NTSC Gamecube and Xbox games look pukka. Any recommendations? Preferably with 720p and 1080i if you can get both at that size.
    Links to specs/retailers would be nice.

Cheers

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Watch out for screen burn.

4. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I use a Panasonic 42" plasma with my NTSC Gamecube and XBox and they both look fantastic in progressive scan.

However, while the Panasonic SD model (480p) can display both 720p and 1080i signals they will obviously be downscaled to a 480p resolution by the plasma. Apparently this still looks great according to reports on the US forums, but I haven't tried any 720p games myself to comment. Personally I don't think there will be that many 720p games in the current hardware range as extra processing is required, so I don't think you will benefit much currently.

Having said that, who knows what will happen with XBox Next / PS3, so maybe a display such as the Pioneer 433 MXE will be better suted to your needs, or the Panasonic HD display. Both of these offer a hi-def 768 display which will offer improved resolution with 720p sources. The MXE is also very competitively priced.

Have a look through the threads, there are many conflicting opinions on the Panasonic vs Pioneer debate. Both are great panels so you can't really lose.

5. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys. A couple of questions about component

1. Can it auto switch to widescreen like RGB?
    2. Whats the deal with switchboxes as I have XB, GC, PS2, DVD to go in one input

Also, I assume some sort of option appears on the XB dash when you use the advanced HD pack. How about GC?

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Answers to your Q's:

1. No, it can't auto switch. They don't use SCART sockets on the plasma side, so there is no way to carry the widescreen detect signal to the plasma.

2. I use my amplifier as a 'switchbox'. All my devices (DVD, XBox, GC & PS2) connect to the amplifier, then there are just two connections (Component and SVideo) from the amplifier to the plasma. The only reason I need two cables is because I don't have enough component inputs on the amp, so the PS2 has been relegated to SVideo input. My amplifier is a Denon AVCA1SE, it's successor the AVCA1SR can convert any input signal to component output, so if you used that model you would only need one component connection to the plasma, whatever the input to the amp.

On the XBox dash you get the option to specify which formats your display is compatible with - 480p, 720p, 1080i. The Panasonic is compatible with all formats (as is the Pioneer I imagine), albeit with scaling for 720p and 1080i. I just set all to 'yes' and have left it at that.

As far as I know there is only 480p available with the GC, and not all games support it though most do. On a progressive compatible game you hold down 'B' while the game loads for the first time and you are given the option to enable progressive scan. Each subsequent load just asks you without having to press 'B' again.

Please note that the above console info is only applicable to NTSC XBox and GC, the PAL versions of these consoles do not support progressive scan or HDTV. I believe chipping a PAL XBox enables this feature, though there is nothing available for a PAL GC.

7. Abadd

Abadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that
    Im probably getting a Pioneer VSXD2011 and that only has 2 in, 1 out for component. Any idea if that can convert other inputs to component? I didnt know they could do that.

8. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Sorry Abadd, I'm not familiar with the Pioneer amps, but the only amp I've heard of with the component conversion facility is the Denon. That's not to say others don't exist, but I don't know about them! :D

9. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Watch out on PAL Xbox with HDTV pack. The earlier version of the xbox had a bug that would allow the modes to be viewable, however few PAL games seem to recognise these in my experience. If you upgrade to Xbox Live or buy a newer Xbox you won't get this menu anymore and you will be locked in 480i.

GC doesn't give any other options, neither does PS-2. Again PAL GC will take the cable and display only a 480i picture. PS-2 seems to be the only PAL console that will display a 480p picture [assuming the game supports it [tekken4 and getaway do]. For my setup I have an audio authority component switcher feeding a AV Toolbox ImageMAX scaler into either my VGA monitor or my Panny 5 Plasma.

Regards,
    Neil.