best 40 inch va panel Fhd or 43 inch va 4k?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by ljacinto23, Mar 1, 2018.

1. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there:

@Dodgexander I would like if possible your advice:

I would like to now what is the best 40 inch fhd tv, I came across with the Sony kdl-we663
    (400£) but same reviews say that have issues with motion and im very sensitive to that, I also view the sony 4k 43inch xd8005(580£), both have 60hz and motion flow xr400hz, if there are other options, even in 49 inchs( not the perfect size because I will be in a view distance of 85 inchs maximum) with va panels and good motion I would be very grateful for your help.
    The tv will be use just for usb and pc conections to see movies in 1080p and im not shure if a 4k tv with 1080 signal will have a better picture quality and smoothness of a fhd?

My bugdet is ~700£

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    TVs at this size anymore will at best be okay with motion, usually average at best, sometimes poor.

Probably amongst the best is a TV you have already mentioned, the 2016 Sony 43XD80xx series.

That would be my choice if you can still find one!

This year options are at best average to poor and whilst the XD80xx series isn't fantastic, its the best you can get at that size, especially without sacrificing good picture quality in other areas too.

Also beware of technological limitations, on a 60hz TV there is only so much you can do with motion enhancements to clear up judder and reduce blur. To do this more effectively you need to step up to 49+ in size and quite a bit more money to get a TV with a 120hz panel instead.

There is also the fact that most of what you watch is going to be in low frame rate anyway and there is only so much you can do with a low frame rate source.

More info: Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2017 Edition & Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2017 Edition

3. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander thanks for your help, I also think that the Sony 43 8xxx is a great TV, the only problem is that is 4k, like I Will see 1080p content do you think that on 4k TVs the picture/motion is better even on 1080p then fhd tvs?
    And what you think about Panasonic 40 TX es 500?

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I think the difference on such a small TV is very little, whether its noticing if UHD looks better or if FHD looks worse.

Unless you are quite close FHD will look fine on an UHD model. But equally to enjoy UHD content you will need to view very close on a small TV.

5. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
    best regards
    :)

6. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander Hi again:
    I have found the samsung ue40j6200 for the same price of the sony 40w660, do you think that is a better option even that is a 2016 tv?

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    Not really any better or worse. Unless you get lucky and its one of the first J6200's that was produced which has a 120hz panel. XD80xx Sony is going to be a lot better.

8. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander I have decided to go with a fhd the question is between the samsung ue40j6200 I (think that its the 120hz version- source rtings and displayspecifications) and the sony 40 kdl -we660?
    Thanks

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I know that they show that info but Samsung released later models of that TV with 60hz, since its still available now I am guessing it will be one of the later models, not the original 120hz one.

I couldn't decide between those two TVs really, I guess it makes sense for you to get a 2017 model rather than a 2015 one.

10. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander even if the samsung is a 60hz model, the motion of the samsung do you think that will be better?I think that early tvs fhd have better motion then now and I dont now why?
    Im worried if I buy the sony we660 and get juder in usb/pc movies?

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I wrote about this in my guide for motion: Explanation and Best Buys for the Motion sensitive 2017 Edition

On LCDs, it doesn't matter if they are 60hz or 120hz all have the same constraints when it comes to how much they can draw on the screen at the same time. They can differ in response time from one panel to the next but no LCD can deliver more than the next out of its box unless you use motion enhancements.

On the lower end TVs you get basic motion enhancements, as much as possible with only a TV that can refresh at 60hz. To use these enhancements to smooth out judder and blur more effectively having a 120hz panel is better than a 60hz one, but out of the box without using any settings, both will look similar.

The problem with smaller, lower priced TVs now is they do not use 120hz panels anymore. In 2014 and 2015 Samsung released some lower sized models with 120hz panels so people could enjoy better motion enhancements at lower screen sizes. In 2016 they even released one UHD model at 43" that had a 120hz panel.

But now they only release 60hz panels at this size and the 60hz ones now don't perform any better or worse than the 60hz ones back then.

So what does this mean? If you don't use these enhancements it doesn't matter. A 120hz panel TV is a waste for you.

If you did use these enhancements and you did manage to find an older model with a 120hz panel then you would get more options to smooth out judder and reduce blur.

But this applies only generally, there are other forms of judder that can be created by the TV if it cannot refresh to match the same frame rate as it receives. Samsung TVs in particular have a problem at the lower sizes refreshing at 24hz, so they apply 3:2 pulldown when they display a film that is shot in 24hz on a 60hz screen. Sony on the other hand do not.

So if you are talking about 3:2 pulldown judder then you want to avoid Samsung.

But everyones perception of motion is different and many people don't even notice this pulldown. If you watch a film or TV series on your computer or phone and see no judder then you won't notice this.

Really, the only way to be sure you will be happy is to try the TV yourself.

12. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander thanks for your help, I will take a usb with movies and test sony 660 in store, but I cant test the samsung cause its only available online.I have already seen the image of the sony and its very good(one of the best in store) the only problem was the motion, but like im going to use it almost for 24hz from usb/pc movies I have the feeling that will be no problem. :)

13. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander Hi again, I need your advice, I decided to go with a 49 or 55 inch panel FHD, since my view distance increase from 85 to 110 inchs, I have found the SAMSUNG UE 49 M5520(450£)? What is your opinion to pc/usb movie use?, if you have another good sugestions with VA Panel? I would be very gratefull if you can help me.
    Thanks

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I think Samsung TV's are amongst the best when it comes to format support via USB, but at the end of the day it's still a TV first with a media player built in second. It's not going to be as flexible as a dedicated playback box or a PC.

But that aside the Samsung should be a good TV at that size, you need to stay with Samsung to get a panel that's most likely to be va at 49" as most 49" panels are IPS from others.

The scary thing is though without any definitive reviews of the TV it's not guaranteed that it will have a VA panel at all, only more likely than others at this size. It's a problem trying to find definitive panel info. However it's still the best option in my opinion and even if doesn't use VA it's not any worse in pq from other TV's that size that will almost definitely be using a IPS type panel.

Hope that helps!

15. ljacinto23

ljacinto23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Dodgexander thanks for your help , I have not yet phurchased the TV, but my final choices are the Sony kdl 49 we660(ads panel) the Samsung UE 49 m 5520(va panel, not shure) and the sony kdl 49 we753 (IPS panel)they have the same price and like I said betore is to conect a PC to wacth movies in a dark room and PS4/PC games in a dark and Bright room?can you please give me your advice?thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,050
    I would personally prefer the Samsung for the chance of getting a VA panel. Otherwise if the Samsung comes with an IPS panel then I would prefer the Sony's.