Best 40 inch recommendations - no bells and whistles required

bazza2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well my 40inch Sammy (7 years old) is starting to give up the fight, dead pixels all over the place.

So I'm looking for recommendations to a replacement. No preference to LCD, Plasma, LED, but don't need any bells and whistles, don't want 3D, nor any smart elements at all, just a quality picture (and best sound without external speakers).
I use XBMC via a PC which I have hidden in the ceiling above so just want all the money to go toward the picture and sound.

Will be used mainly for movies, but also general TV watching and a bit of sport.

TV will be wall mounted.

I have a budget of approx 300-500.

Cheers.

Last edited:
£259. 99

Pin-sharp picture and brilliant colour - this is the next best thing to being at Euro 2012.

Sleek and stylish
1080p resolution screen
Built-in DVB-T tuner to receive digital TV and radio stations
Freeview
USB Multimedia and PVR functionality†
3 HDMI connections
7 day Electronic Programme Guide
1 SCART connection

Pause and record function only available via USB device (USB device not included).
gone in most stores, but you might inquire and acquire one?

EDITED:

Sorry! I meant ALDI stores!

Last edited:
bazza2000 said:
Well my 40inch Sammy (7 years old) is starting to give up the fight, dead pixels all over the place.

So I'm looking for recommendations to a replacement. No preference to LCD, Plasma, LED, but don't need any bells and whistles, don't want 3D, nor any smart elements at all, just a quality picture (and best sound without external speakers).
I use XBMC via a PC which I have hidden in the ceiling above so just want all the money to go toward the picture and sound.

Will be used mainly for movies, but also general TV watching and a bit of sport.

TV will be wall mounted.

I have a budget of approx 300-500.

Cheers.

Have recommended this in another thread as my father in law recently got one an I think it has a very good picture.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40eh5000/sams-ue40eh5000

Although you know with most LCD/LED tv's the sound will be lacking?

£259. 99

Pin-sharp picture and brilliant colour - this is the next best thing to being at Euro 2012.

Sleek and stylish
1080p resolution screen
Built-in DVB-T tuner to receive digital TV and radio stations
Freeview
USB Multimedia and PVR functionality†
3 HDMI connections
7 day Electronic Programme Guide
1 SCART connection

Pause and record function only available via USB device (USB device not included).
gone in most stores, but you might inquire and acquire one?

What is the tv? no mention of brand/model etc

What is the tv? no mention of brand/model etc
The actual telly... dont remember the name, but is VESTEL made (as 66% of currently sold TV's) very similar to Medion.
Bottom line- looks OK, works as good as most and costs as much as it is meant to cost, because there is no fancy badge
EDITED:

Sorry! I meant ALDI stores!:facepalm:

Last edited:
I am also looking for a decent spec, i like the samsung 40eh5000 but want something thats a bit slimmer, any recomendations. i don't want to play more that £400

I am also looking for a decent spec, i like the samsung 40eh5000 but want something thats a bit slimmer, any recomendations. i don't want to play more that £400

I think you will struggle on your budget for a slimmer model. The Samsung is not exactly slim but not a bloater at 9.3cm.

This this LG, which is 42" and slimmer is £430 and no freeview HD

LG 42LS5600 | 42 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview | Richer Sounds

This Sony is slimmer, but again no freeview HD and is £420

Sony KDL42EX410 | 42 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview | Richer Sounds

For £500, now that opens up all new options! :thumbsup:

Just bought a Sony KDL42EX410 from the Sony Centre, they price matched the literature from Richer Sounds latest edition offer booklet (£399.95) "Prices valid till 27th July!" which Richer Sounds aren't even honouring!! - btw they lost a sale over £10, i'm a Yorkshireman not a Mug.

Anyways, rant over most looking forward to taking delivery of this TV, needed for exactly the same thing :)

Just bought a Sony KDL42EX410 from the Sony Centre, they price matched the literature from Richer Sounds latest edition offer booklet (£399.95) "Prices valid till 27th July!" which Richer Sounds aren't even honouring!! - btw they lost a sale over £10, i'm a Yorkshireman not a Mug.

Anyways, rant over most looking forward to taking delivery of this TV, needed for exactly the same thing :)

Hi there,

I was disappointed to read your comments about your recent visit experience with one of our stores and offer my sincere apologies.

So I can investigate this situation asap, please would you PM me with some further information and your contact details?

Meanwhile, my apologies for any inconvenience, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom