Question Best 40-43" TV for a Kitchen - Good viewing angle please!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mda96bjh, Jul 8, 2015.

1. mda96bjh

mda96bjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best 40-43" TV for a Kitchen - Good viewing angle please!

New kitchen/Dining room is quite wide & a nice space on the wall in the middle. I think a 40-43" TV likely to be best - anything larger likely to look too big for the space.

Good viewing angle essential as will be multiple viewing points within the room.

Source will mainly be Sky HD

I don't want a curved set

Not bothered about 4k but quite happy to buy one if the set ticks all my HD boxes...

Budget not really an issue but probably not wanting to spend more than £1500 unless I have to.

I love my Sony 50W829 but the 40" equivalent apparently had a poor panel in comparison. I have looked at the Sony 2015 range which seems good & they have a 43" size but I have seen early mention of poor viewing angles.

Samsung seem preoccupied on curved sets & these will not suit my wall....

I would be grateful for any comments.

2. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a look at the Sony W80 (40") and X83 (43") - both were absolutely excellent in terms of picture quality, and I didn't notice any issues with the viewing angle (entirely watchable at 45 degrees). Both John Lewis and Currys had them, so hopefully they would be fairly easy to track down.

Panasonic's CX680 (40") looked nearly as nice as the Sony X83 (the Sony just has a little "something" to the image, which I can't put my finger on), but I think the viewing angles are a bit narrower (not by much, and better than the Samsungs). Their CS520 (40") looked decent too, although I only had a quick look. Their top-of-the-line CX802 (40") looked really nice from the brief look I had (it's hard to compare to the others as only my local Panasonic Store have it on display, so I'm relying a bit on memory and comparing it against the CX680).

I found that the Samsung J5500 and JU6400 (both 40") had noticeably narrower viewing angles, and the colours looked a bit "plastic", even in film/natural mode. The JU7000 (40") was better than the other two Samsungs, but the image still looked a bit "artificial" for my taste.

I also had a look at the LG LF652 (42") and UF850 (49") [I couldn't find a UF770], and they had good viewing angles, but the image wasn't as "nice" as the Panasonic or Sony (it was a little "flatter" whilst appearing to have a bit more saturation).

In terms of sound, the Sonys were crisp and clear, but might not go that loud or have much bass. The LG UF850 (49") suffered from "harsh" high-notes. I can't comment on the others as I wasn't able to try the sound out.

I would highly advise a trip to your local John Lewis, Richer Sounds and Currys and have a look at what they've got - they should have a decent selection, and image preferences are such a personal thing...

Dunno if that's any help?

They (literally) made my head hurt when I looked at the curved sets in Currys/John Lewis..!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  3. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I would be looking at any sets with an IPS panel to give you good viewing angles. As the set is going in the kitchen/dining rm I assume you will be watching with a few lights on so greyed out blacks shouldn't be a concern. I would be looking at anything from LG in 1080p and with 120Hz thrown in for good measure. You could always put bias lighting behind TV to give more 'pop' to the contrast. I am sure you could find a decent LG set for around £500.

All of this years Panasonic's have VA panels (like Samsung and Sony) so I would steer clear of those.

LG 42LB730V | 42 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Sound...TF8&qid=1436470265&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+bias

4. mda96bjh

mda96bjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the recommendations so far guys - will give me something to start with... I think all the manufacturers nowadays have too many sets to their ranges...

5. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
  6. mda96bjh

mda96bjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do we know what technology Sony have in their 2015 panels? Doesn't sound like IPS...

7. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I assume they have gone with VA throughout. The Sony W802 was IPS from 2 years back and also the 2014/15 W955 but this one only available in large sizes.

All Panasonic's 2014/15 range above the AS640 have IPS panels such as this;

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx42as740b/pana-tx42as740b

It seems that this years LG 7 series are 4K (like Samsung's J6400 and above) which means higher price and probably not really necessary at 40-43". But might be worth looking at;

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/43uf770v/lg-43uf770v

Some positive reviews there.

Hope I'm not complicating matters for you!

8. mda96bjh

mda96bjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nope! Bring on the recommendations! I like to cast the net wide - try & avoid being a fanboy...

9. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rtings.com say the X83 is an IPS panel, but not any of the others, which is a bit odd. Of course, this could just be the American model, or they could be wrong (easy way to find out - the pixels on IPS panels are chevron-shaped, rather than oblong, if you really care!).

10. desinho

desinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    [​IMG]

43W755C ... but yes the 43X8305C is an IPS model in Europe as well so good (/more consistent) viewing angle.

11. mda96bjh

mda96bjh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The X83 43" is looking like a front runner to me... How would I wall mount it? Is bracket any good?

Needs to be strong - it can never fall off as may hurt my toddler!!!