Best 40/42" picture for less than £300 ??

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by AdamBrunt, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

As per the title I am looking for recommendations for the best 40/42" TV based purely on the image quality.

It will be being used solely to display output through it's HDMI input, sound will be handled by a separate 5.1 system and I have no need for curved/smart/etc features.

The only 'brand' TV I can see within the budget is the Samsung EU40J5100 but there are also TVs from the likes of Hisense, Seiki, Blaupunkt and Techwood. Whilst the sound output on these last 4 brands is supposedly bad there image output is meant to be superb; and some even come with a 4K screen within my budget as well.

Has anyone actually got/seen any of the 'cheaper' brand sets and feel able to comment on their image quality compared to similar size sets that cost another £150+ ?

2. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I might steer clear of the 40" J5100. There was a time when Samsung used to equip the 40" 5 Series range with one of their own S-PVA panels but, to the best of my knowledge, they out source panel manufacturing for the 40" to Sharp. I bought a 40" J5100 a few weeks back and checked the service menu hoping to find the code for a Samsung panel but was horrified to see I had a Sharp panel instead. The 40" 5100 I checked in Currys also had a Sharp panel. Blacks, contrast, viewing angles and colour were all inferior to the 40" F5000 (which had a Samsung panel) I had a few years ago. As far as I know Samsung use this Sharp panel on all their 40" 5100's. Though apparently the 48" model has a Samsung panel!
    The 40" 6 series seem to have Samsung panels and the H6400 is at a really good price at the moment. It has a proper 100Hz refresh rate so motion is a lot smoother. The smart functions, 3d and extra connections are a bonus to what is essentially a much better viewing experience.
    It's priced at around £379 at the moment. Alternatively, for £100 less is the Sony 40" R453C but I haven't seen that in action so can't really advise.
    Really its a great time to buy an H6400 as you are getting a mid to high end TV for the price of a budget model. With 4K pretty pointless at the 40" size and OLED currently only available in 55" sizes and above an H6400 would keep you well entertained for a good 5 years I reckon...unless you wanted to go bigger!!!

3. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Ossie77, good to know that the 40" J5100 may not be the good buy I thought it was if you know what I mean.

I am not sure the budget will stretch to £380 so I may have to track down some of these TVs in action and see what I think of the image quality

4. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    You never know with Samsung. They might very well have made a batch of 5100's with one of their own panels or one from AUO...but there's no way of checking until you unbox it and plug it in. Very annoying! The Sony R4 should be in a similar ball park to a J5100 with a decent panel and as far as I know Sony keep to the same panel throughout their models within a range. But again I haven't seen one so....!

5. Meyrick Man

Meyrick Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  6. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not bad at all. Is that an actual Panasonic or one of the Vestels with a Panasonic badge?

7. Meyrick Man

Meyrick Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Not sure about that... but has a good review from 'What Hi-Fi' worth checking out IMO

8. Pancho10

Pancho10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you don't mind me chipping in with a question here rather than starting a new thread. Does anyone have any views on whether this might be a decent buy? Hisense UB40EC591UWTSEU 40
    (Hisense 40" Smart 4K Ultra HD - also I believe with model no.LTDN40K321UWTSEU)

9. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The CS520 is Panasonic. It wouldn't have aced it's reviews if it wasn't. I was in Curry's recently and I was told by the staff in there that ALL Panasonic's are made by JVC! :eek: I assume they are telling everyone else that too. As far as I am aware only the 3 and 4 series UHD and FullHD's are outsourced.

10. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks oasis77.

Do LEDs suffer from screen burn / burn in at all ?

11. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    It really is amazing what Currys staff, or at least some of them, come out with. Drop by any store and you will hear all sorts of misinformation coming from their salesmen. JVC stuff in the USA is outsourced abroad and any JVC branded stuff in the UK is usually made by Vestel.

12. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    For a brand new TV for less than £300 the following plasma will wipe the floor with absolutely everything;

Samsung PE43H4500 Series 4 43" Plasma TV HD Ready 720p With Freeview Black

Had it myself and I have owned some of best TV's of recent times such as Pannie ST60 and sammie H6400. The H4500 has comparable PQ. It really is an awesome TV. Only downside is the reflective screen. Other than that it's a steal. Perfect screen uniformity, buttery smooth motion, contrast is better than just about any LCD on market, wide viewing angles...

13. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Not to my knowledge. The Samsung plasma I recommended above is more susceptible but it has software which helps eradicate any if it does occur. If you are a hardcore gamer I would probably steer clear but otherwise it's not an issue and for the PQ benefits plasma brings it is a very good option IMO! I recommended this to my little brother and I sent him into Currys and told him to ignore the protestations of the staff and insist on buying it. Again, defaming plasma tech is something Curry's staff are generally very, very good at. Lol.

14. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks OK apart from the TV and would be right next to a south facing window and ideally I am looking for 1080 rather than just 720

Seeing plenty of refurbished Panny TX40CS520 on eBay for less than £280 though

15. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    As you have a window nearby then probably not ideal and I can understand your reluctance to go for a 720p set. However, if viewed from about 7ft or further the difference in sharpness is negligible.

Is the CS520 on ebay from the Panasonic Outlet? If so, then I reckon that would be a good choice.

16. DanTheManc

DanTheManc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
  17. AdamBrunt

AdamBrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are plenty of refurbished CS520, from Tesco, for £270 and plenty of 'officially refurbished' ones, from Panasonic, for £280. 12 months warranty on both