Best 3rd party mesh with Sky Fibre

daren fradgley

Novice Member
Reaction score
All,

So after 2 months of try various configs i have admitted defeat.

I have too many wifi devices on my network (50+) for Q mesh to cope (kept dropping out - confirmed with sky customer services and mesh team)

So bought Google Nest Mesh - Double NAT issues with Q Router

Bought a Draytek router and wouldnt work. Sent it back

Bought a TP Link VR400 to work in bridge mode. After 3 weeks of calls and chats with Google and TP Link support and having them remoting in - All configs have failed. Bridge mode not working due to option 61 needed after the bridge mode.

So here we are - Hours wasted, lots of frustration and to be fair helpful support teams i have come to the following conclusion. I AM STARTING FROM SCRATCH

So my requirements is a mesh that cover a 3 story house. I have good coverage with GN router and 2 nodes.

Can someone suggest a good mesh setup that works straight with Sky Q or a Router and Mesh Combo that works with Sky Fibre?

I am so frustrated that i will now try any configuration absed on what people think is the easiest to set up and gives the best coverage for high volume devices.

Thanks in advance

Daren

Going to start by asking the simple questions first. How big is you premises (number of floors, rooms etc) and when was it built?

HI
Its 3 floor and 5 bedrooms so fair big. Built in 2011.
I ahve the Q boxes wired so dont need the network for them

If it was only built in 2011 then I'm guessing it has wafer thin walls like mine? If so, I suggest buying a high spec wifi router such as the TP Link VR2800 which *might* mean you don't need additional APs. TP Link routers easily work with Sky DSL as long as you choose 'Sky MER' as your ISP in the router settings.

Mine was built in 2008 and its also quite big (4 bedroom, 3 floors) but I find a single router placed centrally easily covers the full house with wifi as my home has very thin walls. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best/easiest/cheapest!

Sometimes even the best of routers don't quite do it. You could start by putting router on top floor, if at all possible and allow the signal to propagate downwards as it does this better than the other way round.

Take a look at these. I have the

Linksys WHW0303 Velop Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

Amazon product ASIN B01N5M9NNB

and never looked back. The top end of these are all pricey but if you want really good WiFi everywhere then a worthwhile investment. Shop around for a better price.

5 Best Mesh WiFi Systems Reviews of 2020 in the UK - BestAdvisers.co.uk

There are many products about that fit the bill but they can get very expensive.

Along with what @psychopomp1 is saying you could get better service from your existing set up by trial and error, putting router on 1st floor for instance, again if at all possible. But it's not guaranteed due to the size of the house.

Yep, the something like the Linksys Velop mesh system would work well for the OP if he can make it work with Sky. But the logical thing to do would be to try a different router first as the Sky router isn't the best for wifi. Many on here are using the mid-range TP Link VR900 on Sky and found it to be far superior than Sky kit for wifi, so I suggest the OP uses TP Link's top of the range VR2800 router first before potentially spending extra on a wifi mesh system.

As yo say the Sky router is really not good.

Op could pick up TP Link VR900 relatively cheap on the bay at the moment, one is at £18 with 12 bidders and 5 hours to go.

TP Link VR900 | eBay

Might be worth a try but I think the op will need to invest in a decent WiFi mesh system due to the 5 bedrooms and 3 floors etc. His choice though

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Not really sure about the sky Q solution so would like to know more first since this is what you already have in place. Can you tell us more about the setup and config?

Not necessarily relevant, but how come so many devices? I thought I was bad by you have me beat by at least 20 devices.

I'll wait for your response but in the mean time I would say forget about a single AP solution it just isn't going to work, and by that I mean "isn't going to work" with any degree of reliability that even Fred Flintstone and his 1bps abacus would find acceptable. There are certainly more complex solutions that would suit your needs, they generally tend to be more business related setups, but they don't necessarily have to be expensive ones, especially if you have no problem buying used gear from hundreds of the business suppliers out their. Other ways of doing it are to set up "Zones" with access points/routers in specific areas of your house where you know certain devices will occupy. This is ok if you don't need "Live Roaming" (where a call using IP will for example move from one access point to another without dropping the connection) but this isn't always necessarily a requirement if the applications or not 'Live' or real time dependant.

Anyway give us some more info and it will certainly help.

Screechy

All,

So after 2 months of try various configs i have admitted defeat.

I have too many wifi devices on my network (50+) for Q mesh to cope (kept dropping out - confirmed with sky customer services and mesh team)

So bought Google Nest Mesh - Double NAT issues with Q Router

Bought a Draytek router and wouldnt work. Sent it back

Bought a TP Link VR400 to work in bridge mode. After 3 weeks of calls and chats with Google and TP Link support and having them remoting in - All configs have failed. Bridge mode not working due to option 61 needed after the bridge mode.

So here we are - Hours wasted, lots of frustration and to be fair helpful support teams i have come to the following conclusion. I AM STARTING FROM SCRATCH

So my requirements is a mesh that cover a 3 story house. I have good coverage with GN router and 2 nodes.

Can someone suggest a good mesh setup that works straight with Sky Q or a Router and Mesh Combo that works with Sky Fibre?

I am so frustrated that i will now try any configuration absed on what people think is the easiest to set up and gives the best coverage for high volume devices.

Thanks in advance

Daren

Hi Daren,

I had the same issue,

the only decent system to get you what you need is;

1- BT Openreach modem or Draytek 130 Modem.

2- Amplifi HD mesh kit (router & 2 plug in mesh points) this has the option via the web login to support option 61 for a direct connect an enable you to get rid of Sky’s nasty hub.

everything in my home works on the WiFi, i.e. Sky Q main box & mini boxes....

hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom