Best 3d tv of 2011 42" to 65"

gazhodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's been quite a year for 3d tv's and we want to know which tv you think has been the best of 2011. Did the lg passive sets catch your eye or was it the looks of the Samsung.
All you need to do is state which tv you think is the best and what screen size :D You can have both led and plasma tv's, screen size 42" to 65"
Even a small review of why you think your pick is the best :clap:

Should I get this started.....
How about the Samsung d8000, 47"/55" led, just because it looks stunning.
Or how about the lg lw980t........

I think judging the best one is a very difficult thing to quantify, is it a case of choosing between the flagship models of all the manufacturers? For most of us I think it's more a case of choosing a set which meet our own requirements within our own budgets.

I chose the LG LW450U, it doesn't have SMART capabilities or the additional picture processing of the model above it and it also suffers from a degree of input lag which would have been important if I was a keen gamer but for the money its 2D and 3D performance are excellent... and it meets all my needs.

I use a LG 47LW5500. Perfect. Passive glasses. Recommend to evryone.

This is something only your eyes can decide.

LG 47LW550T for me, HD and 3D is awesome on it, recommend passive to anyone.

Samsung 64d8000 plasma, well pleased with mine, great design, excellent 3d, hardly any crosstalk, smooth motion, good blacks, no green blotches like the Panasonic vt series. Cant wait to get it calibrated :)

Advice i gave my friend was a 42lw650t as she dont play games on it or watch sports. Turn on THX and the picture in 3D and HD is stunning :clap:

Panasonic 65VT30 ..... An expensive set for sure but by god it is an amazing jaw dropper for sure.
I have never seen 3D better than this and sent two Samsungs back due to crosstalk and backlight bleed.
Without a shadow of a doubt the best TV I have ever owned in 20 yrs of being into high end AV equipment.

Well I have spent a couple of weeks looking as I'm upgrading from my trusty Pioneer 507. It came down for me to the Panny 55VT30 and the Sony 55HX923. I did a side by side demo in decent demo room after some basic fiddling with the settings using settings from the various calibration threads on here.

It's all very subjectve of course but after being a plasma man for years I went for the Sony which is a backlit LED/LCD panel. For me the Sony did 3D better, I think it's an area where the best LED sets beat the best plasma sets due the brightness - though you can get more cross talk. If you can get a good HX923 or VT30 without the creases, green blobs etc etc you can't really go wrong, it will come down to personal opinion on which looks better to you. For my money these are the two best sets available right now in the UK.

Last edited:
For me the Sony did 3D better, I think it's an area where the best LED sets beat the best plasma sets due the brightness - though you can get more cross talk.
If you think the Sony did better at 3D then compare it to any LG passive and then experience what real 3D is all about :devil:

Life without cross-talk :smashin:

If you think the Sony did better at 3D then compare it to any LG passive and then experience what real 3D is all about :devil:

Life without cross-talk :smashin:

I did look at an LG model (LG 55LW980T) and the 3D performance was excellent (though to be fair I did not see much if any cross talk in the demo I did on the HX923). The passive glasses are certainly a plus and LG were including several glasses in the deal on the above set which is a step up from the 2 active pairs you get with the Sony.

I do think passive 3D has some advantages over active.

However the 2D performance of the LG - which is still by far the majority of our vieweing was not up to the level of the Sony to my eyes. The blacks were not as good and there was some haloing as well in the demo I did.

Its all very subjective but I just felt the Sony 55HX923 was a better all round panel.

However the 2D performance of the LG - which is still by far the majority of our vieweing was not up to the level of the Sony to my eyes. The blacks were not as good and there was some haloing as well in the demo I did.
Fair enough - at least you checked it out :)

Best 3D TV this year IMO is the GT30 :) I dont notice crosstalk, simply stunning, clear, amazing depth, pop, wonderful colours, clear and detailed motion, great 2D to 3D, easy quick to charge glasses that fit well over my glasses(bigger lenses would be nice though).

I see the pros of passive but they aren't enough to beat a set with this level of quality 3D and 2D at such a price too, VT30 isnt worth so much extra IMO, just cant be beat IMO.

it took me quite a while demoing loads of 3d tv's before settling on the 46gt30 it was the only one that didn't give my misses headaches,as she gets migranes.it was not just for this reason but i was blown away with 3d quality and 2d picture,also connectability and smart capability.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom