Best 3D projector for under £1000

petrolhead

Hello

I am after a projector that does 3D.

My max budget is £1000

Whats the best at the moment

panman40

Distinguished Member
If your specifically looking for the best 3D ( zero xtalk) then it has to be DLP, Optoma and benq offer budget models, I would Not recommend the the Optoma HD50 though as in calibrated state 3D is to dim.

petrolhead

Did a bit of a search and it seems Benq get a lot of thumbs up from people on here. The main gripe is noise which me be a problem for me as the projector will be about 2 foot away from me

panman40

Distinguished Member
True enough, they are not the quietest of projectors. The Optoma 141x I had was noisier than the 131xe before that. I can't comment on the benq personally .

Idle Bull

Get the Benq W1070 for £500 and then spend the other £500 on a nice loud 7.1 receiver, and turn it up to drown out the fan noise :D

Seriously, the fan noise depends on the lamp setting, normal and smart eco can be noticeable, but Eco isn't bad at all. I don't notice it, and my cinema room in in a converted cellar with 6'5 ceilings! So the projector is about 2 feet from my head. (It's also a really warm room so the fan probably has to work quite hard too.

mattmarsden

I think the Benq can only use DLP link 3D glasses which are a compromise in 3D quality and lose a lot of contrast. The Optomas can use rf glasses which are much better.

Idle Bull

I think the Benq can only use DLP link 3D glasses which are a compromise in 3D quality and lose a lot of contrast. The Optomas can use rf glasses which are much better.

Yes, Benq is DLP-Link only.

I can't comment on the difference as DLP-Link is all I've tried. I prefer the 3D on my projector to the passive 3D in the cinema though. It seems more immersive and less strain on my eyes. I always got headaches in the cinema so tried to avoid it (hard when you have a child who loves everything 3D)

I find the 3D very impressive, I didn't think I'd bother with it, but it's been a revelation.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I have a contact who has tried decent dlp-link glasses with his optoma 131xe and also the optoma RF glasses and emitter, once calibrated there's no difference at all, both are excellent but he prefers the comfort of his DLP glasses.

cyberheater

Rubbish.

I've got two projectors using different sync methods. There is no difference using the DLP link which I find kind of surprising. You have to use the right glasses though. G15s although flimsy work superbly well on the W1070.

Idle Bull

Rubbish.

I've got two projectors using different sync methods. There is no difference using the DLP link which I find kind of surprising. You have to use the right glasses though. G15s although flimsy work superbly well on the W1070.

I use G15's, cheap as chips. the little battery seems to last ages, and image quality is good, that good that I sold the Bend D3's that came with the projector (the money I got paid for 2 more pairs of G15's and a couple of Blu-Rays :)).

As for flimsy, they aren't too bad. they've stood up to three 9yo's having a sleep over and a 3d film marathon a number of times :)

petrolhead

Thanks for the replies. Lack of lens shift may be a problem

RS do the W1070 for £500, the W1070+ for £600 neither of which have lens shift and don't come with glasses. They also do the W1400 for £900 which is quite a price hike which has lens shift and 3d glasses included.

I think I have an old telescopic speaker stand which may do for supporting the projector which will get over the lens shift problem?

Is there much difference between the W1070 and the W1070+?

Also if I buy either of those what will I need re glasses and receiver? The G15s do look a bit naff

Idle Bull

How much lens shift do you need? the w1070 has a little bit of vertical shift, that was the deciding factor for me, as I had to ceiling mount at the about the same level as the top of the screen. There was just enough shift to square up the image.

Idle Bull

Actually, looking at the Benq web site, the offset values between the W1070 and W1400 look the same :-

Vertical 110%-130%±5%

petrolhead

Yes, it seems RS specs for the 1070 and 1070+ are wrong as they so no lens shift

So, its just 3D glasses now

Idle Bull

I wouldn't be too put off by the naffness of the G15 glasses. Invest in some stick on nose pads and they're comfy (ish) and work well over normal glasses too.

Don't worry about looking a plonker wearing them :), no one will be looking at you as they'll be immersed in the stunning 3D :)

After all it's the picture quality that is the main thing, and not style!:thumbsup:

mikemag

Distinguished Member
Richer Sounds are now offering the Epson TW6600 for £999. It has both vertical and horizontal lens shift and I'd guess it's physical bulk compared to the Benqs and Optomas would make it quieter in everyday use.

mikemag

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom