1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 37 incher?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stampax, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Having spent ages considering and dbeating over which is the best 42 inch Plasma to buy, my wife has butted in and informed me that 42 is too big for our lounge (only about 10 foot from wall to wall) and we will be getting a 37 incher instead.

So whats the best 37 inch plasma top buy (HD ready please - i think....)
    Some of the top plasma's dont seem to do a smaller size - ie the Hitachi 5200/7200 or the pioneer latest.
    With a smaller screen, i imagine you see less of the imperfections people talk about with plasma's so would you agree getting the absoloute best one isnt so important, and maybe i should just aim at saving some cash now?

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    How far away do you sit?

Do you want a panel only or a all-in-one plasma?

I think the reason most don't do a 37" is because they are not as popular as they don't usually cost much less than the 42" version (PV500).

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    £1250 delivered with wall bracket or stand for the PA50 panny, or is it PE50, the one without freeview anyway.

4. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This one is NOT HD-Ready.

The 37PV500 would be the way to go...

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    The PV500 as you say has the full resolution and hdmi, however at nearly the same price as the 42" I would begrudge going for it myself.

One thing to remember is the 42" panel is a little smaller than the 37" TV, is that not an option?

6. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Well its a ten foot lounge, so i suppose with a sofa that makes about 9 foot viewing distance.

Not bothered about panel vs TV - will be using sky with it. Would prefer HD as these sets tend to be more recent and thus all round better in general (well, im assuming - makes sense anyway).

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    From 9ft you would probably benifit from haveing the extra resolution of an HD screen, it is around 10ft and over that the benifit of the extra becomes less apparant, however (god nothing is ever simple is it?!) if you wnet for a 37" you would have more pixels in a smaller area so it would still look awesome.

8. kevlong

kevlong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 37" PV500 for exactly that reason and because my wife refused to entertain the idea of the 42" version.
    Despite that the 37" PV500 works really well and I'm lucky not too have been affected by the majority of issues reported here. The only one that I have noticed so far is the whistling kettle effect from the right speaker.
    I feel that I got a good deal with the included es10 DVD recorder and 20months interest free.

Kevlong

9. bin_man

bin_man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also in the better half knows better, with a 10' room......and had to compromise with a 37PV500WAL and I honestly can say that its not too small..For 'big' films 42" would be a little nicer, but for TV, 37 is more than big enough. I do find that under certain conditions the panel/fan is a little noisy but I hope it will quieten down.