• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

best 37 inch lcd for ps3 gaming?

kaiser051

Standard Member
hi just looking for a 37 inch lcd for best use with my ps3 got around 500-600 max to spend (40 inch is too big ive measured and 37 inch is max size for my room,

for that price id probably want 1080p but i want a set that would also display my 720p ps3 games well aswell as some 1080p lcds have trouble displaying 720p games

i wa slooking at his Toshiba 37RV555DB

Toshiba 37RV555DB **Special Offer** FREE 2 YEAR WARRANTY And Free Glass Stand(ST42B4L)
any suggestions would be apreciated thank you

sunnysunnysunny

Here's one NOT to get:

We recently got the Toshiba 37 inch XV555DB from our local Sainsbury's. It was in fact cheaper than anywhere else, including online, as it was only £469.
However, when we set it up, we found the picture quality from the PS3 using HDMI was not that good. It just looked like standard TV and there was way too much shimmering/motion blur.
Maybe it's just a fault in our particular TV though, we're going to get Sainsbury's to change it and I'll post back here. :smashin:

kaiser051

Standard Member
the same thing(screen blurring,flickering,bad pic) happened with my lg327000 when ever i played any games that were 720p,1080p games were fine

Kingsd316

Here's one NOT to get:

We recently got the Toshiba 37 inch XV555DB from our local Sainsbury's. It was in fact cheaper than anywhere else, including online, as it was only £469.
However, when we set it up, we found the picture quality from the PS3 using HDMI was not that good. It just looked like standard TV and there was way too much shimmering/motion blur.
Maybe it's just a fault in our particular TV though, we're going to get Sainsbury's to change it and I'll post back here. :smashin:

Think this must just be a faulty TV, with a few tweeks this can produce a picture far better than some of the more expensive TV's ive got the 37XV505db which i believe is slightly older but find the picture is excellent for both Sky HD and PS3

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
This is a 32inch

32V4000 sony bravia awsome tv and a great price

sunnysunnysunny

Think this must just be a faulty TV, with a few tweeks this can produce a picture far better than some of the more expensive TV's ive got the 37XV505db which i believe is slightly older but find the picture is excellent for both Sky HD and PS3

Thanks mate, yeah you're right, the XV505db is the old model of the XV555DB. Hopefully it'll turn out good when we get it replaced :thumbsup:

kaiser051

Standard Member
that looks a good tv, pity sony dont do full 1080p in their 37 inch models,

would the sony display 720p games correctly aswell as 1080p?

i might end up having to buy a non full hd set as most 1080p sets seem to have some trouble displaying 720p games from what ive rea don here and other forums

theshabster

Distinguished Member
I'm considering selling my 12 month old Samsung LE37R88 TV - Looking to upgrade to something bigger for when I move into my new house next month.

cols

i might end up having to buy a non full hd set as most 1080p sets seem to have some trouble displaying 720p games from what ive rea don here and other forums

both the 32W and the 40V are 1080p, and i haven't heard anything about them having trouble with 720p games...

ps3mad

Banned

And at 37" i doubt you will notice any diffrence between 720/1080.A mate has a 37" lcd and to be honest 1080 looks no diffrent to 720 to me.

JSW

thanks to everyone some really good advice,best thing is to as suggested take my ps3 in store richer sounds has the LG 37LG3000
for 399 which seems cheap enough for a basic 37 inch might have alook at that
LG 37LG30STARSTAR at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I bought this set yesterday, got it from comet who price matched richer sounds, good job as it was priced at £538 in comet :D

Menu system is really easy to use and Fallout 3 on my ps3 looks absoloutley stunning, you won't be dissapointed :smashin:

mr_yogi

Another vote for the Panasonic TH37PX80 :thumbsup:

phairplay

Distinguished Member
have to throw in my ten pence

samsung 6 series 37inch 100hz this tv is just cracking...

but for price you can not go wrong with the LG 37lg3000
it's the same tv i recommended to a friend and he is very happy with it

kaiser051

Standard Member
cheers jsw that helps alot as i am a lot closer to the comet store than i am richersounds i will give them a ring

i know its not a singing all dancing tv but for the price it looks a good deal and id rather pay a reasonable price for a set that i wont have any problems playing 72op games than pay the extra for a 1080p and find out certain games dont look so good on it

kaiser051

Standard Member
hi shabster what model is it?

that samsung looks great.stunning looks,bit out of my price league gets good reviews

the Panasonic TH37PX80 looks smart too ata very good price of 499,dont know why but im always hesitant over plasmas i know there supposed to be great

Last edited:

phairplay

Distinguished Member
you should have a look over at the lcd tv av forum the guys that post there really know there stuff. it's also where i went when looking to get my tv.

more or less any tv you look at someone has posted about it

LCD Televisions - AVForums.com

also i would recommend going for a 1080p ( they play all hd types 720p ect plus blu-ray look great in 1080p) as they are coming down in price
there is never any reason to go for a all singing all dancing one.
be realistic and go for what you need not what sounds good when telling your mates.

Last edited:

Usama

Distinguished Member
Panasonic TH37PX80. :smashin:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
hi shabster what model is it?

that samsung looks great.stunning looks,bit out of my price league gets good reviews

the Panasonic TH37PX80 looks smart too ata very good price of 499,dont know why but im always hesitant over plasmas i know there supposed to be great

Best 37" on the market today :smashin:

kaiser051

Standard Member
1080p is not really esential for ps3 playing it creates more problems than its worth,

ive played at least 5, 720p games that look really bad on the 1080p set i had previously so much so that it put me off playing them again,

if u watch a lot of blu ray and dont mind some 720p games looking worse than they should do then its worth it,obvioulsy 1080p games look stunning but seeing that 99% of ps3 games are 720p or lower im happy with a 720p lcd

obvioulsy im not saying all 1080p sets will cause problems playing back 720p games because im sure some do it fine its just that some dont,

and after looking at the comments on here of 4 models i liked,toshiba,sharp aquos, the 1080p lg i bought and even a sony and getting in touch with the people who had them and them telling me some of their 720p games looked awfull on their 1080p set while others were ok i decided a720p set would be more than enough for what i need:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom