Best 32"

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by t33, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. t33

t33
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to replace my current 22inch Toshiba TV as it is a bit old and the sound has deteriorated and the TV Guide thing is very small and hard to read.

I'm looking at a 32" Smart TV which I think is the max size I want and plan to visit JL to look at what they have on offer, looking online they seem to stock about 10, I've looked at the reviews and similar reivews elsewhere. Having looked at their website I'm none the wiser really, there are so many options with it seems subtle variations. I want one with good sound as don't want to go down the sound bar route. I don't watch a lot of TV anyway, but want something decent for when I do. I want something fairly straightforward.

I know I need 2+ HDMI slots (an old fashioned SCART would be ok too). I don't want a TV with inbuilt DVD rec/player. Can someone give me an idea of what I need to focus on?

Right now I have a Freesat Humax box with satellite dish, and an old DVD rec/player I'd like to continue to be able to use.

Am I right in thinking that the Freesat box is the element of the set up that provides the options? I mean, the TV Guide format, On Demand channels and options? And the TV is in effect just a way to screen things?

These seem to be the best four that I can figure out:

Samsung UE32M5520
    Toshiba 32L3753DB
    Sony Bravia KDL32WE613
    Toshiba 32D3753DB
    Sony Bravia 32WD756BU

Any input appreciated and other suggestions welcome.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,366
    Depending on what you consider good, you are probably going to be very disappointed if you don't get a sound bar. These flat panel TVs have very little room for speakers, so even when they do their best with the limited space available they don't sound good. They sound poor even.

But these days when you buy either a TV or Soundbar nowadays they will usually support HDMI CEC which means when you change the channel on the TV to a source (such as your Humax freesat box) it will automatically change the sound bar to the right channel too so you don't have to worry about using a different remote. Even things like volume adjustment on the TV remote will control the Soundbar.

32" TVs now are not the same quality as they once were 5-10 years ago. They are now reserved for the bottom end of the market and don't include the same kind of connections as higher end TVs do. Sadly this means that the first thing to removed on lower end TVs is connections like 3+ HDMI or SCART. Some of the supermarket brands (Toshiba, Bush etc) include them, I think Sony do too on some models but its pretty rare to see them now.

This depends how you wish to use the TV. Since you want to keep using your freesat box then yes, you change the channel on the TV to the HDMI socket your box is connected to and you then use your box to control the guide, TV channel etc.
    If you are talking about smart features then it depends, you can use the ones integrated in to the TV or if your freesat box also has smart apps, you can use those too.

Some TVs rely on the guide built in to them for smart features, some don't. Some have both a smart TV guide and separate apps.

Certainly the model on your list I would probably look at (Samsung 32M55xx) you get separate apps for each catch up service, which for someone using a freesat box will be the easiest and most straightforward to use. That way you miss out on the fancy smart TV guides which you will not be using since you want to watch and record TV through your Humax.

Hope this helps...its confusing I know and not the easiest to explain either!