Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Best 32" widescreen tv is?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Ewok, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am after a new 32" widescreen TV. It will be used mostly for playing dvds and I already have full surround sound setup so I dont want dolby pro logic or dolby digital on the tv because I dont need it so paying extra for it would be silly.

Any suggestions on THE best 32" tv (not plasma).

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: Ewok ]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I read that, note the "and good surround capabilities".

I specifically do NOT want surround since I have already paid £700 for speakers and £350 for an amp so I dont want to be paying for features that are useless to me.

What I want is the best 32" tv in terms of picture quality and features, especially for dvd playing without paying extra for sound stuff I dont need.

I have narrowed it down to 2, Panasonic 32PK20/25 and Hitachi C32WF727N. I have seen several reviews of the panasonic but none of the hitachi. The hitachi has progressive scan which has got to be better?. All I know is what hifi gave it 5 stars.

Anyone know anything about this hitachi or know of any reviews of it?

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: Ewok ]

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Sony KV32DX30 is supposed to be quite good

5. Dandaman

Dandaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also interested in that Hitachi - except the colour is offputting :cool:

What is the cheapest you have seen it for?

Thanks

6. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pound for pound the best widescreen TV on the market is the Philips 32PW8806 and I highly recommended it for the following reasons;

1. Picture quality is superb very filmlike, superb colour reproduction and no digital artefacts to speak of.
    2. Lowest price in its class.
    3. No superfluous features such as Dolby digital or DTS sound which you don't need and pay for.
    4. Looked at Loewe, Panasonic, Sony, Grundig, Schneider and Metz televisions both in the philips price range and their top of the line models and this Philps model was far superior regardless of price in most categories such as picture quality, styling, access menus (compare and contrast this Philips menus with the garish menus for the Panasonic 32PG50 for example).

enjoy

Italo