Answered Best 32" TV or Potentially A Monitor

Corbula

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend for the best option for a 32" TV. I know they are on the lower end of the scale nowadays but that's the biggest that will fit width ways as the next sizes up are 40"/42".

Anyway I use it to watch TV and movies and also game on my PS4. I watch TV through a Sky box so very rarely watch freeview. So could get a way with a monitor instead.

I would prefer full HD on a TV, it's mostly about picture quality, colours and motion. If it's a monitor, I don't really want a curved one and it would need 2 HDMI ports, one for the sky box and one for the Ps4. I have a soundbar for sound with optical connection.

So what would you recommend?

This may be a stupid question but are you aware the measurements of TVs is only the visible panel (excluding bezel) and its on a 16:9 ratio diagonal. In other words, 32" TVs are not 32" wide..and with models today being almost bezel-less sometimes you would be surprised how big of a TV you can fit in a small place. Check the W-H-D dimensions of a 40-43" and see if it will fit, because generally there are better options the further up in sizes you go.

With only 32" it really doesn't make a great deal of difference which model you go for as they all reside in the very bottom end of the market, they all have average to poor motion whilst unlike other sizes we can't be 100% sure which panel comes on each TV.

In your shoes I would probably get one of LGs FHD models because I know they at least come with good smart TV.

Samsung stopped making new model lines for 32" TVs in 2017.

The other option would be Hisense, who generally are kings in the budget market right now and these may have a better chance of coming with a VA type panel compared to LG who typically use IPS. Their smart TV however is not as good as LGs.

I think all models at a minimum have 2 HDMI ports, some may have 3.

If you are wanting the very best motion you are going to be out of luck but will be happier with an IPS panel. You would think going for a computer monitor would give you better motion but computer monitors have no processing of motion at all built in, so it would be solely down to your source device to manage the motion processing in that case. Certainly a computer monitor at this size will have a lot less motion blur than a TV if by "motion" you are concerned with gaming and not by how the TV processes film motion for example.

This may be a stupid question but are you aware the measurements of TVs is only the visible panel (excluding bezel) and its on a 16:9 ratio diagonal. In other words, 32" TVs are not 32" wide..and with models today being almost bezel-less sometimes you would be surprised how big of a TV you can fit in a small place. Check the W-H-D dimensions of a 40-43" and see if it will fit, because generally there are better options the further up in sizes you go.

With only 32" it really doesn't make a great deal of difference which model you go for as they all reside in the very bottom end of the market, they all have average to poor motion whilst unlike other sizes we can't be 100% sure which panel comes on each TV.

In your shoes I would probably get one of LGs FHD models because I know they at least come with good smart TV.

Samsung stopped making new model lines for 32" TVs in 2017.

The other option would be Hisense, who generally are kings in the budget market right now and these may have a better chance of coming with a VA type panel compared to LG who typically use IPS. Their smart TV however is not as good as LGs.

I think all models at a minimum have 2 HDMI ports, some may have 3.

If you are wanting the very best motion you are going to be out of luck but will be happier with an IPS panel. You would think going for a computer monitor would give you better motion but computer monitors have no processing of motion at all built in, so it would be solely down to your source device to manage the motion processing in that case. Certainly a computer monitor at this size will have a lot less motion blur than a TV if by "motion" you are concerned with gaming and not by how the TV processes film motion for example.
Thanks.
Yes I was aware of the sizes. The space is less than 900mm (I think around 880/890mm). I've yet to find a TV bigger than 32" that still fits that space.

I know that are at the bottom end these days which is a real shame. I know everyone wants a bigger and bigger TV but there's still a need for smaller ones too.

I did see LG have just realised new 32" TV but couldn't find any sort of review or opinion on them. It's a shame about Samsung, also Sony are only doing HD Ready ones (don't know if they stopped making 32" as well).

I will have a look at Hisense. I'm not too bothered by Smart TV as I have a chromecast and PS4 so anything I want to do with online content I can do through them, which is very rare anyway. I don't have a smart TV now so it's not really an issue. It's all about the panel for me.

The new models won't be any better than the old ones so I wouldn't worry about getting the very latest or anything. Just get one that is priced well and you know is a half decent brand.

LGs LK series of TVs from 2018 are FHD and even support accepting a HDR signal.

But I think you may be surprised how good Hisense models can be, so if you do not need wide viewing angles I'd get one of those.

Sony's models won't be bad either, they are probably using IPS but they have been known to use VA too sometimes. Its hard to know what you'll get though. One nice thing about Sony is they do none smart models if you don't care for smart TV.

The new models won't be any better than the old ones so I wouldn't worry about getting the very latest or anything. Just get one that is priced well and you know is a half decent brand.

LGs LK series of TVs from 2018 are FHD and even support accepting a HDR signal.

But I think you may be surprised how good Hisense models can be, so if you do not need wide viewing angles I'd get one of those.

Sony's models won't be bad either, they are probably using IPS but they have been known to use VA too sometimes. Its hard to know what you'll get though. One nice thing about Sony is they do none smart models if you don't care for smart TV.

I'm not worried about getting the latest, like you say little has changed.

I looked at Hisense as I don't need the viewing angles but can't actually find any decent models for sales at a decent retailer.

With the Sony models do you mean even two TVs of the same model can have different panels, so the same one bought in different shops can have either a VA panel or IPS panel? It's just pot luck?

I don't really need Smart TV but can't find anything that doesn't have it.

I know on 32" HDR isn't true HDR but could be a nice bonus as I use it for my PS4 (standard not pro) but looking forward to next year for the PS5. It will most certainly becoming more wide spread for that.

So looking around these are the models I've found.
  • Samsung UE32N5300 LED full HD £399
  • Sony 32WD756BU LED full HD £329
  • Sony KDL32WE613 LED only HD ready but HDR £259
  • What I believe to be LG 32LM6300PLA on Richer Sounds (there's no model number) LED full HD HDR £219
  • LG 32LM6300PLA LED full HD HDR £299

All of which would be very similar I would imagine. I'm leaning towards Sony due to their reputation for low input lag and in years gone by I've always found there picture the most natural looking. This was a long time ago though. It's a shame they don't do a full HD HDR TV at this size.

The non smart Sony models are the "RF" (2018) and "RE" (2017) models. They can be seen on their website here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/tv/t/televisions?type=full-hd
With the Sony models do you mean even two TVs of the same model can have different panels, so the same one bought in different shops can have either a VA panel or IPS panel? It's just pot luck?
Its not unusual for manufacturers to use multiple panel types on the same TV but Sony tend not too. The problem is I don't know which models have IPS or VA at this size just because you never see anyone really review smaller TVs now. Your average users are not going to know how to test for it, nor will they really care so much and panel info is hidden by the manufacturers so even if you do find something online (like displayspecifications.com) that says x TV is a certain panel, it is often wrong.

I'll run through the models you have found which may help you narrow down.

Samsung UE32N5300 LED full HD £399
I think its quite overpriced for what it is, especially since its almost a year old now (2018 model)I wouldn't pay this much if I were you when you don't know what panel the TV comes with for sure and you also won't be getting fantastic quality no matter which you choose.
Sony 32WD756BU LED full HD £329
2016 model, 3 years old now but still probably no better or worse than the others.
Sony KDL32WE613 LED only HD ready but HDR £259
2017 model, 2 years old now.
What I believe to be LG 32LM6300PLA on Richer Sounds (there's no model number) LED full HD HDR £219
LG 32LM6300PLA LED full HD HDR £299
2019 model, very cheap. Probably the best buy given the price. Can't even see the 2018 "LK" range being cheaper.

Sometimes you can find that you prefer a certain manufacturers picture processing and whilst none of the TVs are going to be fantastic, the picture processing may be different on the Sony's and you may prefer that.

I wouldn't worry at all about having only 720p on a small TV unless you are using it very close up, I also wouldn't worry about input lag on any TV now as generally they are all good enough. Sony models in general do not have better input lag like they did a few years ago.

The non smart Sony models are the "RF" (2018) and "RE" (2017) models. They can be seen on their website here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/tv/t/televisions?type=full-hd

Its not unusual for manufacturers to use multiple panel types on the same TV but Sony tend not too. The problem is I don't know which models have IPS or VA at this size just because you never see anyone really review smaller TVs now. Your average users are not going to know how to test for it, nor will they really care so much and panel info is hidden by the manufacturers so even if you do find something online (like displayspecifications.com) that says x TV is a certain panel, it is often wrong.

I'll run through the models you have found which may help you narrow down.

I think its quite overpriced for what it is, especially since its almost a year old now (2018 model)I wouldn't pay this much if I were you when you don't know what panel the TV comes with for sure and you also won't be getting fantastic quality no matter which you choose.

2016 model, 3 years old now but still probably no better or worse than the others.

2017 model, 2 years old now.

2019 model, very cheap. Probably the best buy given the price. Can't even see the 2018 "LK" range being cheaper.

Sometimes you can find that you prefer a certain manufacturers picture processing and whilst none of the TVs are going to be fantastic, the picture processing may be different on the Sony's and you may prefer that.

I wouldn't worry at all about having only 720p on a small TV unless you are using it very close up, I also wouldn't worry about input lag on any TV now as generally they are all good enough. Sony models in general do not have better input lag like they did a few years ago.
Thanks for the help.

It's good that Sony still do TV without smart for people that don't want or need it but the TV isn't exactly any better than the rest.

That first LG I mentioned for £219 actually seems to be the 32LK6100PLB which I guess why its cheaper.

The best option seems to be the LG 32LM6300PLA for the price, full HD and HDR. It also seems to be direct lit led instead of Edge lit which is good. It's just a shame I can't get it from John Lewis or richer sounds for the guarantee. Maybe it's because it was only released in April, I'm not sure, I can only get it from Curry's at the moment though.

I know it might not be amazing but it's got to be better than my 2008 32LG3000, in almost all areas right?

Direct lit or edge lit makes no difference at this price range or size. It only matters with higher end models when you start to have features such as good local dimming.

I'd probably save £80 and get the £220 LK LG. They support HDR too. Its just a year older.

The TV should be a lot better than your existing model but don't expect much from them, they are really bottom end of the market.

Direct lit or edge lit makes no difference at this price range or size. It only matters with higher end models when you start to have features such as good local dimming.

I'd probably save £80 and get the £220 LK LG. They support HDR too. Its just a year older.

The TV should be a lot better than your existing model but don't expect much from them, they are really bottom end of the market.

Thanks. With 32" being the real bottom end of the market what sort of sizes would you be looking at for something better? I'm not talking 55" OLED or anything but what would be a noticeable improvement, 42" or would it have to be even bigger?

The 40" and 43" models should be better quality, unlike the very smallest models we at least have a good idea which TVs are using which panel type.

The obvious choice would be one of Samsung's 40" UHD models which for sure will be using a VA type panel. They are all listed here: Samsung 40NU - Search at PriceSpy UK

At 43" the Hisense A series is a really good TV for the money, also using a VA panel.

The 40" and 43" models should be better quality, unlike the very smallest models we at least have a good idea which TVs are using which panel type.

The obvious choice would be one of Samsung's 40" UHD models which for sure will be using a VA type panel. They are all listed here: Samsung 40NU - Search at PriceSpy UK

At 43" the Hisense A series is a really good TV for the money, also using a VA panel.
I'm been doing some thinking and measuring and if I rearrange a few things I could wall mount a TV in the 43" range potentially up to 49". Is it simply a case of still looking at the Samsung NU series at different sizes?

Also, are most of the Samsung 40nu series curved? That's what most of them seem to be, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

No sadly its not a case of the Samsung models being the same at different sizes. At 43" and 49" they can use an IPS type panel, whilst at 40 and 50" they are for certain using VA type.

Samsung NU73 and NU75 ones are curved, the rest are flat. Curved ones always use VA type regardless of size though.

What is your budget and can you fit 50" as well as 49"?

No sadly its not a case of the Samsung models being the same at different sizes. At 43" and 49" they can use an IPS type panel, whilst at 40 and 50" they are for certain using VA type.

Samsung NU73 and NU75 ones are curved, the rest are flat. Curved ones always use VA type regardless of size though.

What is your budget and can you fit 50" as well as 49"?
Well the wall that I'm thinking width wise can fit 107cm comfortably but I can stretch it to 117cm so I think a 50" might just fit, depends on the width. My budget is around £700.

Great! Try and find a Sony XF85 series from their 2018 range: Sony Bravia KD-49XF85 - Search at PriceSpy UK

They are a lot better TVs than the competition as they are using 120hz VA type panels.

There is also the XF90 range, which is even better still and a good TV if you want a TV that has good HDR capabilities, it may be over budget though unless you look at open box/refurbs.

Sony centre direct sell the refurb model sometimes for £630.

Great! Try and find a Sony XF85 series from their 2018 range: Sony Bravia KD-49XF85 - Search at PriceSpy UK

They are a lot better TVs than the competition as they are using 120hz VA type panels.

There is also the XF90 range, which is even better still and a good TV if you want a TV that has good HDR capabilities, it may be over budget though unless you look at open box/refurbs.

Sony centre direct sell the refurb model sometimes for £630.
Thanks once again!
Are you sure about the 49XF85? When I'm searching for that I'm finding that it's got an IPS panel, 100hz and poor black performance?

The 49XF90 looks better with it being direct lit and has local dimming but a little more than I wanted to pay. I will keep an eye on Sony centre though for refurbs.

Are you sure about the 49XF85? When I'm searching for that I'm finding that it's got an IPS panel, 100hz and poor black performance?
The 49" and 85" models are using VA panels instead. The other sizes are indeed using IPS type panels which is why you see those remarks.
The 49XF90 looks better with it being direct lit and has local dimming but a little more than I wanted to pay. I will keep an eye on Sony centre though for refurbs.
Its the one to go for if you want a TV that does a good job with HDR. It won't be too much better than the cheaper model for everything else.

The 49" and 85" models are using VA panels instead. The other sizes are indeed using IPS type panels which is why you see those remarks.

Its the one to go for if you want a TV that does a good job with HDR. It won't be too much better than the cheaper model for everything else.
Ah that explains it then. I will keep an eye out for both models and see which comes up. The only one I can find is the XF85 at richer sounds for £679 and that's listed as the last few in store. I can't find anything of either model from any other reputable retailer tight now, maybe I missed the boat.

There is an ex display with a 5 year warranty here: Sony KD49XF9005 49 inch 4K Ultra HD Android TV with HDR | Snellings

They are probably selling out, since they are the only decent spec models sub 55".

If you wanted the XF9005 you could always wait for the XG9005 to come down in price, its pretty normal for it to be very overpriced right now as its just been released, but the first serious discounts hit come black friday usually.

They also sell the 49" XF9005 as a refurb sometimes on the Sony centre direct website for £630 but only the standard 1 year warranty with that.

Provided you aren't interested in the ex-display I'd try and source an XF85 from Richer if you cannot wait. If you want a TV that has better HDR you could also look at the new Q70R Samsung but its only a 60hz panel at 49" so its motion isn't as good, otherwise wait for the XG9005 to lower in price.

There is an ex display with a 5 year warranty here: Sony KD49XF9005 49 inch 4K Ultra HD Android TV with HDR | Snellings

They are probably selling out, since they are the only decent spec models sub 55".

If you wanted the XF9005 you could always wait for the XG9005 to come down in price, its pretty normal for it to be very overpriced right now as its just been released, but the first serious discounts hit come black friday usually.

They also sell the 49" XF9005 as a refurb sometimes on the Sony centre direct website for £630 but only the standard 1 year warranty with that.

Provided you aren't interested in the ex-display I'd try and source an XF85 from Richer if you cannot wait. If you want a TV that has better HDR you could also look at the new Q70R Samsung but its only a 60hz panel at 49" so its motion isn't as good, otherwise wait for the XG9005 to lower in price.
Thanks, that ex display model they only deliver to the Norfolk area, I'm in the northwest so that's not an option unfortunately otherwise I would snap it up.

It looks like either sourcing an xf85 from richer sounds if there is one nearby, or waiting for the 49XG9005 to go on offer. Is that the only one from the XG series to have a 100hz VA panel?

I'm not sure yet if they have other models with 100hz VA type panels. The XF85 series was an odd one out really as Sony tend to use IPS panels on their mid range.

Its also not directly replaced, the most similar in spec is the XG83 series as the new XG85 isn't sold smaller than 55". The XG83 range certainly will have a 100hz panel but its probably IPS.

If I were you I'd try and plan if you feel you are going to make use of HDR much, if not then theres no love lost going for the XF85. If you are then its worth waiting for a good price on the XG9005.

Its worth mentioning that the bespoke TV retailers such as richer, much like with buying a car are open to negotiating sometimes, so if you get in touch with them, explain you really wanted the XF9005 and you're interested in the XF85 if not, they may strike you a good deal on the new XG9005.

I'm not sure yet if they have other models with 100hz VA type panels. The XF85 series was an odd one out really as Sony tend to use IPS panels on their mid range.

Its also not directly replaced, the most similar in spec is the XG83 series as the new XG85 isn't sold smaller than 55". The XG83 range certainly will have a 100hz panel but its probably IPS.

If I were you I'd try and plan if you feel you are going to make use of HDR much, if not then theres no love lost going for the XF85. If you are then its worth waiting for a good price on the XG9005.

Its worth mentioning that the bespoke TV retailers such as richer, much like with buying a car are open to negotiating sometimes, so if you get in touch with them, explain you really wanted the XF9005 and you're interested in the XF85 if not, they may strike you a good deal on the new XG9005.
I might just do that. I was thinking of calling a few John Lewis stores to see if they have any XF9005 in store too.

As for the HDR, to be honest I only have normal sky HD and don't have anything like Netflix or amazon video at the moment so the only HDR content would be gaming, even that would only be when the next console comes out so it's probably not a massive issue. I'm just a sucker for tech and wanting that little extra haha.

Looking on richer they have a 49xf8505 as an open box in a store. The website says £679 but I don't know if it would be less than that being an open box.

I wouldn't worry so much about HDR, if you find in the future if you use HDR more you can always sell on the TV and pick up a more up to date model then.

A lot is still changing with HDR, so its not a bad idea to wait until buying a capable HDR model right now anyway, let alone if you have no plans to use it.

Not just that but the XF85 will still work with HDR if you ever use it, it just won't look up to scratch compared to the higher end models in some titles.

I wouldn't worry so much about HDR, if you find in the future if you use HDR more you can always sell on the TV and pick up a more up to date model then.

A lot is still changing with HDR, so its not a bad idea to wait until buying a capable HDR model right now anyway, let alone if you have no plans to use it.

Not just that but the XF85 will still work with HDR if you ever use it, it just won't look up to scratch compared to the higher end models in some titles.
I think I might have been able to source the XF8505 from a John Lewis store. Just waiting for a call back to make sure they still have it in stock.

Well as its turned out, JL were going to call back which never came so gave them a call back and its not showing stock anywhere now. Spoken to Richer sounds and they don't have any either expect in Cardiff (no use) or ex display models. It seems AV Lounge have them though, do you know anything about them?

Any idea what standard Sony warranty is for tvs if I got it from there?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom