1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 32" LCD TVs to recommend

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard76, Aug 21, 2005.

1. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to everyone,

I'm currently looking for LCD TV with best PQ and features. can anyone do recommend and state your reasons why it is better than other brands?

2. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There is some good choices you can make.....

In my opinion the best choice regarding picture quality and value is the Hitachi 32LD7200. New Picture Master Processing, deep blacks and good contrast, excellent connectivity, 8 billion colour palette, sweet motorised stand controllable from remote, boasting 8ms response and other features.

You can also view the review on top of the froum list.

Cheers :hiya:

3. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me it was between the JVC, Samsung (cause its cheap), Hitachi, and Philips 9986.

At the end of the day I couldn't get hold of a Hitachi, didn't like its looks very much, and the poll about buzzing didn't make me want to wait for one. The 9986 is too expensive without freeview, and didn't look that great in Comet IMO. The Samsung is reported in these forums as having some tearing issues, so decided against the cheap option.

The JVC LT-32DS6B has had great reviews from What Plasma & LCD and What Video & Wide Screen TV and it has freeview built in. I doubt anyone would be disappointed, I am not.

4. richard76

richard76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about the newly launcehed "Panasonic TX32LXD500" in comparision to the Hitachi model ? any comparision comments ?

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I think it compares more directly to the JVC LT-32DS8B than the Hitachi being Freeview, and it seems also to allow PC connection at WXGA (though it also says that this might not work :) )

I'd be interested in comparison with either if anybody has any?

6. GalileoFigaro

GalileoFigaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LG 32LX2R almost ticks all the boxes for me (except for no freeview).
    Notably it has a PIP function which is missing from the JVC LT-32DS6B and is wholly inadequate on the Samsungs. I just think PIP is *bound* to be useful to me on occasion - e.g. for keeping an eye on the little one when she goes to sleep in the cot in here own room, or for checking on what junior is up to on the internet.

The LG 32LP1D is similar but with Freeview.

If they brought out a version of the Hitachi LD32700 with Freeview I would most likely buy it. In fact I almost did buy it anyway but it wasn't in stock anywhere!

In the meantime, because of the short stocks of most of the good models as well, I've taken QVC up on a 30 day trial of their 'Today's Special Value' which is the Humax LGB32TPVR. You never know - I might even end up keeping the Humax!

We'll see what comes up in the meantime - it being one month closer to Christmas by then! All the boxes ticked *and* reasonably priced 1080p maybe?

7. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC does have PIP but it doesn't work with the PC input.

8. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    32LP1D it is.

9. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    There was a recent review of the 10 best LCD/Plasma Screens with the Panasonic TX32LXD500 just edging the Hitachi 32ld7200 to the number 1 spot.

The JVC LT32DS6 is also highly rated. Just released we have the Sony V Series kdlv32a12 and its non VEGA Engine brother the S Series kdls32a12u. The Philips 9830 or the Sony V Series is likely to become the top rated LCD. Outside contenders are the new Sharp GD6 and Titanium GD7 range.

My own speculative ranking of the "best" LCD sets is:
    1. Philips 9830
    2. Sony kdlv32a12
    3. Panasonic TX32LXD500
    4. Sharp GD7
    5. JVC LT32DS6
    6. Hitachi 32ld7200
    However, there may not be much difference between these and the better priced 7200 may be the best option for some. We wait for some feedback on the new sets for a clearer idea of where they all stand.

10. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Off topic, sorry...

Anyone know why some models do not have the PIP working with the PC input?

It seems with most of the major manifacturers they do not have it, where as the Humax's and Sagem's, amongst other do.

11. bjl1953

bjl1953
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up my Panasonic TX32LXD500 today and after a very quick set up, the first thing I watched was the football. Having read loads of reviews about loads of different LCD's and reading comments on here I was a bit concerned about PQ for football but to say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

I can't directly compare with any other model but would definitely recommend this one as it has all the connectivity and bells & whistles you could wish for plus terrific PQ.

BJL

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Nobody going to mention the new Toshiba 32WLT58, I wonder how this will fit in with the others. Not sure about PQ as yet unseen but it's main advantage would have to be the better connectivity, ie, HDMI x 2, Scart x 3 and Component etc.

13. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Do you know where there is a manual for the Tosh?

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    There is one on the Toshiba tech. support website but I don't know what the link is. Try doing a search because it was posted a while ago now.

15. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Was it a magazine review?, if so can you tell which mag it was.

Cheers

16. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Tosh helpline sent me a link to that tech site (I had found it yesterday) but there is no manual for the 32WLT58, only the 32WL58P, which doesn't seem to be the same thing: no mention of DVB-T tuner.

I have done a search on 32WLT58 and I got two pages of very long threads thrown up. I'm making my way through these slowly but, if anybody could remember where the link is I really really would appreciate it.

17. Kiriku

Kiriku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I'm really interested in the TX32LXD-500 but can't find it anywhere in Sweden...only TX32LX-500. I've been comparing the specifications...and it seems like the difference is a digital tuner with the LXD-500. There's no mention of a digital tuner with the LX-500...so if I want to watch HDTV-broadcasts when they start airing in Sweden, is it possible to buy an external digital tuner in that case?

18. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, here in Belgium we don't have the digital version either, only one with analog...

When digital comes (in a few weeks) we'll have to get a dedicated decoder from the provider, others won't work.

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think the only difference between thw two is the digital tuner on the WLT so the rest of the manual should apply to both.

20. Frusty

Frusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    off topic:
    what do you mean: "In a few weeks" ? As far as i know, no HD-broadcasts are planned in Belgium. Maybe through satelite ? Maybe I missed something ?

21. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digital tuner included in the 500 series Pannys are not HD tuners, so you will ony be missing an SD digital free to air tuner.

The only way to get HD transmissions on any current TV would be via an external 'box' anyway; that's what the HDMI or DVI (with HDCP compatibility) ports are for.

Ben

22. simonatkins

simonatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also about to plump for the Sony KDLV32A12U as it seems to tick all the boxes I'm looking for. The only thing I can't seem to find out is whether this set will do 1080p? can anybody enlighten me? Does anyone have the manual on a CD they could post somewhere so we can download it? Also does the stand come off it? As I will want to wall mount it.

I procrastinated over the Philips 32PF9986 for quite a while. I was really sucked in by that ambilight stuff however in the end various things turned me off it.

My Reasoning for the Sony is this:
    1) it has digital tv built in,
    2) it has a picture enhancement feature (wega)
    3) it is not unnecessarily wide (like the Philips for example)
    4) it has component input (unlike the Philips)
    5) it has HDMI
    6) It's progressive (although to what extent I don't know yet - see above)
    7) it's sub £1500 (online)

can anybody suggest anything that's better that meets this criteria?

23. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not talking about HD, talking about digital... Telenet from 3 september on...

24. Cranialstrain

Cranialstrain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

The manual states upto 1080i and I've had this working from the Powerbook at both 50/60Hz; I do understand any 1080p will be recognised but downscaled (to 1080i) - however I have no evidence to prove this and too would welcome clarification.

The stand does come off (and beautifully) by removing four screws at the bottom of the television - just pops off and the weight saving is amazing. I've mounted mine on a Alphason AG94/2-B which looks lovely!

Cheers,

CS.