Best 32" LCD for SD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by fishblues2, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. fishblues2

fishblues2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am about to buy a 32" LCD TV, for the first couple of years it will only be used for SD sources so it needs to handle these well but I would also like to future proof the set so HD ready is a must.

I was going to buy the samsung LE32R41B but I have read that its not great with SD sources so my other choices are either the JVC LT32DS6B or the Sharp LC32GA5E.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chanes

Chanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the JVC model and if you get a good signal it is great, the FV picture is better too. It's unfortunate that the signal I get varies so much (bad reception area and a bit of a dodgy aerial), but I can live with that when DVDs on HDMI @ 1080i look so nice. :)

3. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic TX32LXD500 mate. Look no further

4. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Why do you need it now, has your existing TV broke or been stolen?

32" is very small, particularly if your existing screen is 4:3 ratio, once you have 32" 16:9 you realise you need more (said the actress to the Bishop!!!!!!), unless you have HD material (Xbox360, HTPC, D VHS) then WAIT. A 37" or 42" LCD with 1080 lines will be better and will be cheaper (in 2006), the extra lines help when upscaling 576 PAL / 480 NTSC signals compared to a 768p (in theory anyways :) ).

If you have a specific need to purchase a flat TV for SD sources NOW (I will not speculate as to the urgency or longevity of your viewing), then get a 42" SD Plasma, or Sharp P50 LCD series. If you plan to subscribe to SkyHD then early 2006 will be when it transits (not all channels, so SD will always be an issue). I expect that you may prefer CRT PQ if you are only going to watch SD material.

When SkyHD launches watch HD TV prices tumble and laugh at the early adopters......... :D

I plan to move my 32" LCD to the Bedroom and buy a larger screen for the lounge once 1080p 42" are available. Also freeview tuners will be common place next year, not a £200 extra............my freeview box was £30 and RGB output is very good, why are ID LCD TV so much more expensive than their analogue brothers??

btw watching HD material is amazing, only go down the Flat SD route if there is an exceptionally pressing reason in buy the screen today (in a few months HD material will be available through SkyHD and XBox360 would be discounted (if supplies do not dry up!).

5. Jim Barry

Jim Barry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    They're not always - the Samsung LE32R41BD is currently only about £45 more than the LE32R41B at DigiUK, for example.

6. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep.I would also add the Hitachi 7200 which is also fantastic for SD.

So it's the panny 500 or the Hitachi 7200,IMO.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I definitely think the Sharp LC32P50E has to be a contender as it's specifically designed for SD and althought not HD Ready it is HD compatible in the sense that it will show HD but at it's lower resolution.

8. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a Sharp LC32P50E and it gives excellent results on SD broadcasts from terrestrial and Sky...from what I gather HD broadcasts will give results although not true HD but will be equal to today's DVD quality. which is everything I need my TV to do.

9. fishblues2

fishblues2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its my second TV for another room which I need to replace now. I am waiting for Sony to release their SXRD sets over here before I replace my main set :thumbsup: . I may go for SKY HD multiroom hence the reason that I want a TV that is good with SD for now, but is HD ready.

Can I discount the Samsung if I want good a SD picture?

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Sky HD multiroom would just mean having a Sky HD box as your main stb and your existing SD Sky box in the other room. If you wanted HD in both rooms then you would need two HD boxes which could prove expensive. I would stick with a good SD LCD like the Sharp which would still show HD if necessary.

11. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Sharp P50, without a doubt if it is for SD. And half the price of the Panny 500. And I to Rocky, how big is your bedroom if you are going to put a 32 inches in it. So to speak.