Best 32" LCD for SD sources?

blacksnow

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my old defunct CRT, which I was very happy with, with an LCD TV. I'll be using it mostly for watching my SD DVD collection, but will also want to use it for sport & my PS3. My viewing distance is betweeen 3 & 4 metres, so really I'm not looking to go larger than a 32" screen.

Because I have an unused Sky cable, I'm toying with the idea of going down the freesat route, though am unsure whether to go for a built in tuner, or to splash out on a humax PVR later on, when I have more cash.

My budget is up to £600, though I'd prefer to keep the cost lower if possible. After a lot of trawling through reviews, my main contenders are the LG32LF7700 (assuming the SW update has solved the dimming issue?), the Panasonic 32G10B or 32X10, & the Sony 32V5500. However, I'm open to any other suggestions.

My priority is definitely how the TV handles SD sources. Any advice would be welcome, since I'm starting to go round in circles trying to make a decision at the moment! Thank you.

I'm looking to replace my old defunct CRT, which I was very happy with, with an LCD TV. I'll be using it mostly for watching my SD DVD collection, but will also want to use it for sport & my PS3. My viewing distance is betweeen 3 & 4 metres, so really I'm not looking to go larger than a 32" screen.

Because I have an unused Sky cable, I'm toying with the idea of going down the freesat route, though am unsure whether to go for a built in tuner, or to splash out on a humax PVR later on, when I have more cash.

My budget is up to £600, though I'd prefer to keep the cost lower if possible. After a lot of trawling through reviews, my main contenders are the LG32LF7700 (assuming the SW update has solved the dimming issue?), the Panasonic 32G10B or 32X10, & the Sony 32V5500. However, I'm open to any other suggestions.

My priority is definitely how the TV handles SD sources. Any advice would be welcome, since I'm starting to go round in circles trying to make a decision at the moment! Thank you.

If you're plugging your PS3 into it, are you absolutely sure you won't be playing any bluray HD content to it?

Your shortlist looks very similar to mine, before I finally opted for the Panasonic (37" version). SD is not too bad on this set, but HD is where it really excels.

Good luck with whichever you choose, I believe they're all good sets.

Blacksnow, from 3-4 metres away you could quite easily get away with a 37" without any distortion of picture.

From what iv seen and read (and im looking for similar to yourself) the Samsung B550 range gets 5 star expert reviews both from AV forums & What hifi, its also easily within your budget. The Panasonic G10 that domino mentions is also a great tv but go and have a look in a store they have both these models in Currys/Comet if you have one near you and ask to view SD tv.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys:smashin:. The B550 sounds good & is one that went completely under my radar. If anyone has any other suggestions that I've missed I'd love to hear about them - there's so much choice out there that it all becomes a bit overwhelming.

Woah woah woah, 3-4m away and 32 or even 37 is absolutely tiny, in my opinion, for any content, SD or otherwise. A lot of HD console games are obviously designed with larger screens in mind, I'd find many of my games pretty much unplayable on a 32" from that far back.

A 42" HD Ready plasma like the Panasonic X10 or LG 42PQ6000 would be a good choice, especially since you mention sport.

Well iv plenty of xbox 360 games and had no problem with any of them on my 28" CRT!

You adapt very quickly to whatever you are viewing whether 28 or 48".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom