Best 32" LCD for SD broadcasts? (Don't have HD & not likely to get it!)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by elli29, Apr 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're looking to replace our faithful old 23"/24" sony trinitron tv that has, after 13 years (and being a rental tv before that), finally died- the sound has gone and it now makes a roaring noise when turned on.

I'm by no means a videophile (the jargon throws me), but am used to getting good sound (nicam) and, more importantly, a great picture on the sony from a freeview box-very clear, perfect, realistic colours and contrast, the best I think I've seen on any tv, even new ones. I'm slightly worried that an LCD picture will be a disappointment, so am looking for best picture I can get for my budget of around £600 or under. The tv also needs to be 32", black (really can't stand silver tvs), fairly widely available, ie. Dixons etc., and to have freeview built in. Connections not really important, though at least one RGB needed for good measure-it'll have a newish sony vcr plugged in and maybe a dvd recorder at some stage-not HDD or anything like that.

I'm currently looking at the following:
    Samsung LE32R73BD
    " LE32R88BD/R87BDX
    Toshiba 32WLT68
    " 32WLTC3030D
    " 32WLT66

Panasonics also seem good, but know nothing about those :rolleyes: .
    Not too sure about the glossy finish on the Samsungs, but could get over it-what's it like in the flesh?

Can anyone help? Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've tried searching and most results seem to concentrate on HD picture, which is irrelevant to me.

Thanks for reading!

2. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Im looking for something similar although I do have an xbox 360 so HD is a factor for me (just gaming, dont have sky HD or an HD DVD palyer). Im primarily concerned with SD broadcasts, ive held of buying and LCD until now as SD picture has always been rather poor in my opinion.

Of the models you list ive only seen the Tosh. LT 68 in action and was impressed with the standard feed of the grand national I saw last week in John Lewis however, the Panasonic 32LXD70 gave a clearer picture in my opinion (an my friend who was with me) so thats what im aiming for at the moment.

The downside is that the cheapest ive seen the 32LXD70 for on the web is about £690 so a little over your budget, the way I see it is I hopefully wont be buying another TV for quite some time (last one I bought was 11 years ago) so a little more up front will hopefully see me better in the long run.

I didnt get a chance to check out the sound but ive heard that LCD's generally dont have the best around, the 32LXD700 which is out soon is meant to have better sound (i think) but thats going to cost even more. I did see some kind of optional extra subwoofer kind of thing screwed to the back of the Toshiba in John Lewis (made for the TV by Toshiba) which may be worth looking into if you like the TV.

3. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that-I think I'll take the Panasonic into consideration (I've done a bit of reading now and it certainly sounds like a good bet, though the price is high at the moment).

4. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    If you really want SD quality then I'd go for a plasma but they don't make them as small as 32". One thing though I'd stay away from the WLT66 series, big problems all round and have been replaced by WLT68.

Speaking of which, why don't you just stay with a CRT? I'm trying to get rid of my Slimfit if you're interested ;)

5. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, WLT66 moved to the bottom of the list! We had considered sticking with CRT (thought the slimfit 32" samsungs looked interesting), but read about lots of problems with the picture in these. Also, thought that LCDs were more 'future-proof' (and liked the idea of a VERY slim telly! :D ) I suppose the fact that shops are pushing in new technologies all the time, each supposedly superior to the last, along with falling prices, had an influence on the decision. I wish you could still buy non-HD ready LCDs, but still with freeview built in...but their time has come and gone...:rolleyes:

Oh, and why are you getting rid of your slimfit? Will have to decline the offer though.

6. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Nothing wrong with it, just gonna get an M87 as a self graduation present ;D

7. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see! Am currently favouring Samsung LE32R87/88- sounds the best for the price atm.

8. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    You will not get decent Standard Def picture on most LCDs, not to the standard you see on a glass screened CRT. The problem lies from the resolution of the picture. Most TVs are broadcast in a low resolution so when thats stretched across your HD Pixels on the LCD, it causes artifacting and blurring, Imagine watching a low res internet video fullscreen on your PC, same sort of thing.

I have experience buying a TV myself outside of HD, my first TV was the R73, before december, horrible picture, but that was due to the panel inside it, this weekend exchanged it for a 37" R88, fantastic, can't really tell its 5 inchs bigger, looks same to me, but the quality of the picture is outstanding. Love it and recommend it to everyone, including you. Thats my recommendation the Samsung R88.

9. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Go to JL or Comet and see your self Panasonic performs.

Too many people in this forum say Panasonic is the best for SD.
    And IMHO it is bloody damn true.

(Except that it is also perfect with HD source, but Samsung has deeper black on HD).

Walked around some stores, saw Panasonic 32LXD70 side-by-side with Sony, both with SD feedings, and the colour of Panny was far better than Sony, the colour gradation was very smooth, while Sony Halo problems became obvious all over the distinctive colour boundaries created blotchy boundaries or troubled edges (especially when it is side by side with that Panny, then it's simply obvious).

Go for Panny if you want SD best quality.
    (I was tempted to say Samsung, but you mentioned SD broadcast).

_

edit:
    tbh I haven't seen R88 performs, could not comment on it,
    but it's a possibility after I see it my self.

10. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    curious...
    what's wrong with your Slimfit? :)

(it's on my list for the kitchen among some)

11. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so Samsung R88 and Panasonic LXD70 on top at the moment<might be able to stretch the budget to the latter, considering what I've heard. Has anyone seen the LXD70 and the cheaper LMD70 side by side? I see that the LXD70 has a silver band on the bottom (of the casing) in some pictures and not in others...can anyone clarify whether this is the case. If it has, the cheaper LMD70 which seems to be completely black in most pictures would be preferable, unless the picture quality is noticeably inferior of course. Decisions decisions...:eek:

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Think some sites are using the xxx60 model pics, not sure though.

13. Yannis

Yannis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
  14. mat060572

mat060572

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have been going through this process too and had originally ordered the Sony KDLV2500 but after seeing it in about 5 shops I decided it was no better than my duff R73 CMO panel Samsung.

I then started looking at the Panasonic LXD70 and this was easily the best SD picture (and this includes the LMD70).

However, on further review I discovered I could get the Samsung R88 in 37" for the same money and have decided to go with this.

See this review -

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd...le37r87bdx.htm

notice the SD is considered better on the 37" than the 32".

15. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading those reviews on the hdtv forums, it says that the contrast ratio for the Panasonic LXD70/LMD70 is 700:1- this seems rather low for the LCDs out at the moment (doesn't the Samsung R87/88 have an 8000:1 contrast ratio? and a fairly basic LG I saw had a ratio of over 1000:1). From the raving reviews I've read, and the commments here, it doesn't seem to adversely affect the picture quality in the Panasonic models above though...? I'm confused again now (!) as I'm sure I read that the higher the contrast ratio, the better the picture.

The hdtv review gives the target price for the LMD70 as &#163;650 and the LXD70 as &#163;750...the best I've seen in a high street store is &#163;745.99 for the former and &#163;797.98 for the latter in Comet. Hmmm. Amazon don't seem to have them in yet-I notice that delivery's free on LCDs!! :clap:

16. Yannis

Yannis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
  17. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seee! Stupid me. :oops: Most shops show the dynamic contrast ratio on their pages then?

18. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes that's right and none of the assistants will know what it means except that it's the biggest number. :rotfl:

19. radionotme

radionotme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Try and pricematch with John Lewis so that you get the free 5 year warranty. I pricematched against multiregionmagic (who have a store in Peterborough) who sell the TV for £699+£25 delivery - which beats your £750 target price.

20. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might look into that, but just seen that Dixons have the LMD70 for &#163;629 and the LXD70 for &#163;699 (both 32")- sounds like a bargain to me! And delivery's free!:clap:

21. robertoegg

robertoegg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty much in the same boat, will be getting standard Virgin Media will be watching dvds via PS3.... so I have to increase my budget to these ones as opposed to the budget buys like the AOC, Hanspree or Mirai?

1st post - lurked for a bit, but seem to confuse myself:)

22. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update: Went into Currys today and had a look- they'd just set up the 32LMD70 this morning (didn't have the LXD70 on display). Liked the understated matt black finish, and PQ looked good, certainly better than the Toshiba C3030D next to it (though of course it's hard to judge in showrooms). Asked the assistant and he said he recommended either the Panasonic or the Samsung R87/88 (and that he was thinking of buying the Panasonic at the online price, &#163;629). Think will order it online from Dixons as have found a &#163;10 discount code. The installation service costs &#163;19.99, according to Dixons website- reckon I should use this? It says that they'll unpack it, set it up, check it, test it and take old TV away-sounds good to me, especially if it happens to be faulty.<<just found out that this isn't available-only offering the wall-install service for &#163;199.99-what a rip off! I will install it myself, hmph.

23. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody who has read my posts elsewhere on this forum will realise that I am most definitely a SD driven potential 37" LCD purchaser. Also like others anything over &#163;1K is totally out of the question and I would prefer that my expenditure is about &#163;700 really.

In my quest for an acceptable to me SD performance the only LCD's I have seen that really satisfy me are the Philips models 7 series or 9 series with the latter definitely being over budget. Unfortunately even the 7 series are seldom sold at similar price levels to Toshiba C3030 or LG panels. The Panasonic panels mentioned in other posts above are certainly good but are not available as LCD in anything over 32". The Panasonic 37" plasma certainly gives excellent SD performance but at the usual negatives for a Plasma of lack of brightness/contrast and, I have just learnt, inferior HD resolution for panels in this price range.
    From what I have seen of the SD performance of the Samsung R88 it is as dire as its predecessors and should be consigned to the SD hopeless bin along with the Sony offerings.
    Yannis who is posting on this thread from Greece will probably respond by saying watch Philips reliability/ customer support. If I do end up buying a Philips set then I would hope to get it on an undersale deal from John Lewis who of course include an excellent 5 yr warranty.
    BTW my personal experience of Philips and Panasonic products is that they are far more reliable and particularly "more robust" than Sony products., the latter seemingly being prone to catastrophic failure about 6 months out of warranty with repair costs well over 50&#37; of the purchase price.

24. Yannis

Yannis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Funny that you mention Philips cause the Philips 32" CRT that i have as a second TV at home just broke down last week (can't receive channels while it works Ok with DVD player via scart). I only have it for three years BTW.

Sony CRTs were very unreliable a few years ago. I didn't had one but i know from others.

My advice is that if you want a 37" LCD with good SD performance at a decent price , buy a Toshiba 37WLT68.
    Also Phiips 37PFL7332D seems like a good TV and reasonably priced too:

http://www.idealo.at/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/681868_-37pfl7332-philips.html

25. surferboy

surferboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come no one has mentioned the sharp lc32p50e series.These are optimised for SD brodcasts. I know they are a bit old now, but you can get a lc37p50e for £599 online! This is a bargain.

26. elli29

elli29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ANother update :)rolleyes: ): Received Panasonic TX32LMD70 today (would have received two days ago if courier hadn't been attempting to deliver to house opposite with completely different name...but anyway)-younger brother decided to tune it in while I was out of the room-Freeview channels fine with great picture and sound, but sound on analogue channels seems very quiet (probably down to our poor reception). But, screen has 4-5 distict black lines across it ('dead' pixels?) so will be replaced by Dixons next week. In the meantime I'm happy to watch stripy telly-anything's better than a 14 year-old 14 inch! :thumbsup:
    Sooo, the tv...as I've said before, I'm no videophile, but picture seems excellent (apart from the stripes!), but obviously varies from average (a little pixelly) for the odd fast-paced news report to FAB for Peep show/My Family/Have I Got News For You-my friday night viewing! (C4 and BBC1 seem to give particularly good picture). Tried a Desperate Housewives DVD with our £20 DVD player and 99p scart leads and picture brilliant-very sharp and realistic (this is with a little fiddling with the picture settings-contrast and brightness started off too bright for my liking). Especially liking the funky buttons on top of the TV! Haven't tried with Sony VCR yet as not worked out whether I can record freeview and watch analogue and vice versa yet. Can't wait to get a fully functioning one next week! :clap: