Best 32" LCD < 96cm wide?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ginger, Oct 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys. I need some help choosing a 32" LCD. It needs to be less than 96cm wide to fit in an alcove which rules quite a few. I'll be viewing from a distance of 2m and will be using it to watch Sky+, DVDs and PS2.

The short-list seems to be

Sharp LC32GA3E or LC32GD1E
    Philips 32PF9956
    Toshiba 32WL46 or 32WL48

I've seen a Sharp review in HCC which suggests that it is not best suited to Sky+ due to lack of pixel plus or such like. I also saw a review of a Philips in WVWTV which said that pixel plus resulted in a sharp picture but without much depth of field. I don't know much about the Tosh, though it seems to be a few hundred quid cheaper - does this indicate that it's not in the same league?

I'd like a swivel stand too, but it's not a pre-requisite - does anyone know if the Tosh has this?

Ideally, the set would be "future proof" regarding HD broadcasts as I expect to keep it for more than a couple of years.

All comments and advice gratefully received.......... :lease:

2. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the Toshiba 32WL46....Of course I will be bias, but it has had pretty good reviews in both magazines and on this forum.

It comes with a swivel stand which allows a reasonable swing from side to side, can't remember the exact figure without hunting for the instruction book,but it's not bad.

I have been very pleased with my set, from Sky +, DVD, PC and PS2 use...I would recommend it highly.

I don't think the fact it is currently cheaper than much of the competition is a bad reflection on the set, I just think it is a bargain!

3. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ginger,

I have the same problem. Need to replace a 26" B & O in a confined cabinet space.

I have made a study of these sets. There is a shop in Hatfield which has all of the models switched on from the same UHF source. In my view the Toshiba has the edge with noticably-less background noise and rendition of fast movement - thse seem to be where the models differ.

As a result I have ordered the 32WL48 from Unbeatable at £1,299. I am comfortable taking a chance that the picture will be as good as the 32WL46.

4. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike, Flashman

Thanks for the input. I saw the 46 in a shop and must agree that it looked one of the best pictures going. E-mailed Tosh to ask about the 48 and all they said was that it was the same as the 46 but with HDMI - did not respond to my question about the 500:1 contrast ratio quoted on unbeatable. They gave me a number to call though so I'll try that tomorrow. The price on unbeatable looks like a real bargain if this a not a lower spec model like Sharp have just done with their A5E. Do you know if the box is a different colour? I saw a picture at HCC and the 48 looked more gunmetal than the silver 46 but it was hard to tell.

5. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ginger,

The man to speak to at Toshiba is Jason on 0870 442 4424. He is ever so helpful but they have limited info on the 48 - strange as they are due to ship at the end of the month. He is reasonable technical and knows a bit about HDMI - more than I do anyway.

One thing that Jason did tell me. Currys and Comet have ordered nearly all available stock of the 48 but allocation is going to Unbeatable.

It gives confidence that Toshiba do have a telephone contact to chat to. So many electronics manufacters do not want to resource would-be customers.

6. PDL2

PDL2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not try the Loewe Xelos 32" LCD. It has the speakers down below rather than on the side and therefore should solve your problem. The PQ is also very good.