1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 32 inch plasma at the moment?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by APC, Jul 22, 2003.

1. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our living room is fairly small, so I'm looking for a 32 inch plasma. I don't need built-in speakers because I'll be running the sound through my AV receiver. The Hitachi 32 inch looks good, but it is quite wide due to the speakers. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i think the sony is slightly better you can get it from john lewis and get them to price match its £2500.hitachi or sony there the same glass but as i say the sony has the edge

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I disagree, IMHO the hitachi is the better of the two (although both are good) + it has a separate tuner box (less cable issues & can be wall mounted).

Dimension wise the Hitachi is slightly wider than the Sony & slightly shorter - so you pay your money & take your choice on that one.

Philips have a 32 inch model as well which is dimensionally similar to the Hitachi, but I haven't seen the new model (the old one's picture was poor)

4. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you have sky or freeview you could consider the NEC LCD3000. I think the picture is stunning using svideo, not tried rgb yet.
    You dont have to worry about screen burn and if you want to connect it to a computer its WXGA resolution (better than any 32,35,42 OR 43 inch plasma) ideal for small rooms...

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    :hiya:

IMHO the Hitachi :smashin:

dvd :cool:

6. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. :)

So it looks like either the Sony or the Hitachi. I was wondering how they compare on noise and picture quality in your opinion(s)? :confused:

7. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    sony has the edge only just there is not much in it

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why not a Sharp 30" LCD better technology no burn issues etc!!!!! and for my money a better PQ ESP DVD speakers are detachable so unlike philips 32" plasma reduces frame if running AV amp

9. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i like the lcd panels i think if i could get a 40 inch for £3000 i would buy one over a plasma samsung have released a new one for about £3500 40 inch but £3000 is my limit.no burn in issues superp qulity on computer less reflective screen longer life thinner less power.image lag can be a problem but i think thats the only major problem.

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    APC the only way you'll convince yourself over better pq etc is to go and look. andya is clearly in love with the Sony, whilst others advise the Hitachi.

I saw the two side by side in Sheffield & in terms of PQ they are both good. I thought the H had it by a nose though. What clinched the deal was the salesman advising me to take the H even though it was £900 cheaper (they had both in stock for immediate delivery).

WRT LCD - plain awful for the money, looks fine playing a DVD like Monsters Inc, get it on Sky sports though and it's just bad, avoid.

11. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    If you do not like a noisy picture then LCD is probably not for you. Whenever I have seen 32" plasma against 30" LCD (e.g. Sharp 37hv4 or Sony MR1) the plasma picture has been miles ahead. I have only seen LCDs looking good with Toy Story like bright animation. As soon as you try a Sky or analogue feed LCDs look awful to me.

Other plasma screens to consider would be the Pixel+ Philips 32pf9965 (not as good as the Sony or Hitachi IMO). You may also want to consider slightly larger sets such as the 35" Toshiba or JVC PD30. These are 640x480, i.e. not ALiS screens like the Philips, Sony and Hitachi. Lower res but I believe are properly progressive.

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    oops wrong thread

13. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, thanks for mentioning the Toshiba - hadn't noticed that, and a 35" panel might be OK. :smashin:

On LCD's, whenever I've seen them on display they've always looked really poor to me - lots of picture smearing and they don't capture movements right IMHO. So a plasma it is.

On 'noise', I actually meant hum and/or fan noise rather than picture noise! :D

Noise isn't a big problem for me, but it would make a difference if one was less noisy than the other.

14. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can really recommend the latest Sony 32" ...

Obviously all this is IMHO, however I would say that the Hitachi maybe had the edge over the Sony KZ32TS1 but not the new model - KE32TS2.

Size 'n' Style is a big diciding factor too, and the Sony (with its bottom speaker array rather than side speakers), is quite a lot smaller - width wise, and may therefore fit better in your room.

The other area where the Sony won for me was the build quality -the Hitachi just looks more 'flimsy'. Apologies to all PD3000 owners here - as I said all IMHO.

Also, you can buy the Sony for approx £2500 if you shop around, so there's little in it price-wise.

APC - I agree with your opinion of large LCD sets - I didn't like the latest Sony 30" LCD set at all compared to the 32" plasma.